Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reported Posts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What about cases where somebody reports a post, Mod sees nothing wrong with it, but another reporter might be able to give extra context/background that might illuminate the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BuffyBot wrote:
    What about cases where somebody reports a post, Mod sees nothing wrong with it, but another reporter might be able to give extra context/background that might illuminate the situation.

That's why I said the mod can reset the status of the reported post (although I didn't make that too clear in my OP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

r3nu4l wrote:
    Good idea, saves users having to reply with "Reported".
    Which is a good thing because it's worth posting "reported" in the case of obvious Spam but can be flame-war fuel in other cases.

That said though, I know I take a case of a bunch of reports of the same thread in a row as an indicator that I should possible read those reports with my s-mod hat on even if its not one of the forums where I'm a mod.
    eoin_s wrote:
    You could change the alt attribute for the image to include the explanation that the reporter gave, but I don't know if it's common practice to make this public?
    No, it's not.
    It's perfectly reasonable to say "someone complained about X" but repeating a report verbatim can give a lot away about who reported it.

Of course when you just say "someone complained about X" the offending poster will often leap to a conclusion about who that someone is, which is very often erroneous, but still.
    eoin_s wrote:
    That's why I said the mod can reset the status of the reported post (although I didn't make that too clear in my OP).
    I've a feeling this will be the tricky part in this hack.

Talliesin wrote:
    Which is a good thing because it's worth posting "reported" in the case of obvious Spam but can be flame-war fuel in other cases.

That said though, I know I take a case of a bunch of reports of the same thread in a row as an indicator that I should possible read those reports with my s-mod hat on even if its not one of the forums where I'm a mod.

Well, that's probably the main factor - is it actually more valuable for mods to get multiple reports of one post? If so, then this change wouldn't help at all.
    Talliesin wrote:
    It's perfectly reasonable to say "someone complained about X" but repeating a report verbatim can give a lot away about who reported it.

Of course when you just say "someone complained about X" the offending poster will often leap to a conclusion about who that someone is, which is very often erroneous, but still.

Personally, as a normal user, I'd prefer the choice to report a post anonymously, even if most mods would prefer that a user posts saying they've reported a post. If nothing else, it would make the clean up easier, because you wouldn't have to also remove the posts that may quote an offending post, with "reported" underneath etc.
    Talliesin wrote:
    eoin_s wrote:
    I've a feeling this will be the tricky part in this hack.

I'd imagine so, unless by chance each post has a column in the database that indicates if it has been reported or not. If it doesn't, then you're talking about some kind of database schema change somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Would it not be better to have a system where whenever a post is reported there is a mark at the bottom of the post under the sig to show that it has been reported, each seperate post gets a kindof "black mark" thing.
    Would also let people know exeatly how many people they have offended with a single post,
    Actually mods, whats the most reports you have got from a single thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

User45701 wrote:
    Would it not be better to have a system where whenever a post is reported there is a mark at the bottom of the post under the sig to show that it has been reported, each seperate post gets a kindof "black mark" thing.
    Not really, IMO. Its bad enough that we often have sigs longer than posts without a barrage of what is really mod-only information added at the bottom as well.

The user doesn't really need to know how often something has been reported, there is something of a debate happening as to whether a user should even know if it has been reported at all. But even if you were to include a tally of reports on the thread, would not in the alt tag of the image be a better place to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sounds unessecarily complex.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Sounds unessecarily complex.

The whole thing may be - I don't have any PHP or vBulletin development experience at all. But if this was to be implemented, then you would have to cater for a post being edited at a later stage by the user and therefore being eligible to be reported again. Also, if a mod doesn't deem the post reportable, then the icon shouldn't be greyed out as it could infer something wrong with the post, when the mod doesn't think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I've tested the conditional that only works in 3.6.0

All it will do is output 'Reported' beside the report icon, meaning that the post can still be reported, but is there to let people know that post has been reported already.

I don't see the need at this moment to spend time on hacking vB and adding DB queries to the current installation when it can easily be added when boards so wishfully upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

eoin_s wrote:
    Personally, as a normal user, I'd prefer the choice to report a post anonymously
    Then we couldn't siteban people who kept reporting crap and hence made the reported posts system useless because your genuine report would be lost in the thousands that just say "Mods suck!"

That there should be different rules than there are on who sees what is a matter of current debate with valid points on different sides.
    User45701 wrote:
    Would also let people know exeatly how many people they have offended with a single post,
    I see this encouraging Spamming reports too.
    User45701 wrote:
    Actually mods, whats the most reports you have got from a single thread?
    Haven't a clue, though I'd bet on the thread in question being the Know your nerds AH thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Talliesin wrote:
    Then we couldn't siteban people who kept reporting crap and hence made the reported posts system useless because your genuine report would be lost in the thousands that just say "Mods suck!"
    I think he means he would like to be able to report a post without "having to" post that he reported it in order to stop other people reporting, hence the colour change suggestion.

Advertisement