Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy fish in Dublin

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have just moved to Leixlip. Before this i was living in Cork, and i knew exactly where to go to buy meat and fish. Now in a new city, i haven't a clue where to go. At the moment, i am making the trip out to Howth on a saturday, but it is pretty inconvenient, and i don't find them overly helpful.

One thing, i know that Superquinn are supposed to do good fish, but i would prefer to buy my fish from a fishmonger rather than in a supermarket. I'm not being snobby, i just prefer it this way.

Does anyone know of a good fish shop reasonably central in Dublin, or out near leixlip/maynooth?

In addition, can anyone recommend a good butcher in the same areas.

Failing these locations, i am willing to travel a bit for a very good fish shop/butchers.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Welcome to the capital, I hope you are happy here. What shop in Howth are you using and in what way are they not overly helpful? Nicky's Plaice is very very reasonable and the staff are great. Beshoffs and Wrights are very fancy and the cuts are mainly boneless. City centre mongers and butchers are pricey at times. I am not familiar with Leixslip I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote:
    Welcome to the capital,.

He's in Kildare.

lightening wrote:
    Nicky's Plaice is very very reasonable and the staff are great. Beshoffs and Wrights are very fancy and the cuts are mainly boneless. City centre mongers and butchers are pricey at times.

Agreed. I use Howth all the time.

Mairt wrote:
    He's in Kildare.

Right, well, when you get to Dublin when getting the fish, you are very welcome and I hope you enjoy. And welcome to the Dublin Forum.

I forgot to say that Nicky's Plaice is only open weekdays and Saturday morning. Regarding butchers, I like the way you like butcher meat and not the Supermarked stuff. I use a butcher in East Wall, local guy, lovely cuts and good prices. I know its miles out, but I reckon you will find someone similar.

lightening wrote:
    Mairt wrote:
    He's in Kildare.

Right, well, when you get to Dublin when getting the fish, you are very welcome and I hope you enjoy. And welcome to the Dublin Forum.

I forgot to say that Nicky's Plaice is only open weekdays and Saturday morning. Regarding butchers, I like the way you like butcher meat and not the Supermarked stuff. I use a butcher in East Wall, local guy, lovely cuts and good prices. I know its miles out, but I reckon you will find someone similar.

I like local butchers too.

Although I have to admit to preferring Dunnes as I pick through the various cuts myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

Kish on I think it's bow street behind smithfield is really good.

Small shop but very well stocked, in the city centre its the only place that would be able to compeat with the old english market in Cork.

Just checked and they have a website

http://www.kishfish.ie/

• Advertisement

Kish on I think it's bow street behind smithfield is really good.

Small shop but very well stocked, in the city centre its the only place that would be able to compeat with the old english market in Cork.

Just checked and they have a website

http://www.kishfish.ie/

Superb, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When I saw this thread I was going to suggest kish fish. Dont eat fish myslef but spent the last few months working in Nicholas Ave, facign kish fish and the smell just lingers around the place. Looked like a decent place all the same.

I am nearly sure there is a fish guy in the temple bar market on Saturday, but forgive me if you go there and there isn't one! (might be pricey) I forgot, there is another one near Break For the Border, he sells game as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭CarPark

Hi
    Thanks very much for all your suggestions.

I have been to Beshoffs and to one or two other shops in Howth. I thought Beshoffs were a little expensive (maybe that is just because Dublin is more expensive than Cork), and the quality of the fish wasn't great in another shop. In addition, they had set cuts and were not willing to give me the size i wanted.

Maybe i am being a little naive here. The fish shop i went to in the English Market was run by a couple. They knew me well and always had a big welcome for me when i came. They gave me the exact cut i wanted and if they didn't have what i wanted, they always made helpful suggestions. I had a similar relationship with the butchers.

In the shops i tried in Howth, i have seen different people working there every time. Most are not very friendly and never give any advice, and don't tend to give you the cuts you want. I guess i should just get used to a slightly more impersonal service in a bigger city.

I will try Kish Fish because it is more convenient, but i will also give Nicky's Plaice a try in the new year.

Thanks for the advice again.

BTW, what's all this talk about the capital.........sure i'm not in Cork anymore!!!!

CarPark wrote:
    I thought Beshoffs were a little expensive (maybe that is just because Dublin is more expensive than Cork)

Your dead right, Beshoffs is pricey, however you will find Nicky's Plaice a lot cheaper than the English market in Cork. They will also cut the fish whatever way you want them to. There is usually the same crowd working in there and are quiet pleasant, helpful and friendly.

As you get to know Dublin you will learn the better and more reasonable places to go, as a tourist in Cork not so long ago, I found it more expensive than Dublin, I reckon, I was just going to expensive places.
    CarPark wrote:
    In the shops i tried in Howth, i have seen different people working there every time. Most are not very friendly and never give any advice, and don't tend to give you the cuts you want. I guess i should just get used to a slightly more impersonal service in a bigger city.

I find most people are as friendly as you are to them!

You obviously like good things and look afteryourself if you are willing to travel that far for fish. That's a really good thing. Plenty of people I know move to Dublin and sit on the couch moaning about the place, you seem to grab the bull by the horns and go for it, Dublin has a lot to offer, make the best of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

lightening wrote: »
    Howth... Wrights

There's a Wrights in Marino too, handier/closer to town than Howth. I don't eat fish but when I used to, I always got it there. I don't eat meat either so I can't recommend a butcher - sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

CarPark wrote: »
    In addition, can anyone recommend a good butcher in the same areas.

Failing these locations, i am willing to travel a bit for a very good fish shop/butchers.

Many thanks in advance.
    Best inner city butcher that I've found is FX Buckley. They have a shop on Talbot St and one on Moore St. Both off O'Connell St. I only go to the Talbot St one but definitely works out cheaper than buying meat in a supermarket and it's much tastier too.

Interesting about Kish, I love fish and am always looking for a good fishmonger. I might try that out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

There is a great fish shop in the Stardust Industrial estate in Artane. Unfortunately I can recall its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Giles fishmonger in Phibsboro is pretty good.
    Open thursdays and fridays last time I was home.

Also, Byrne's porkbutchers in phibsboro is the dog's bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Might be a long shot, in fact I'd bet it is but; any of the fishmongers open on a Sunday guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 2micheal

As meat eater`s we use the meat Factory in Ballymount, buy in bulk and put it in the freezer. http://themeatfactoryoutlet.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Living in the city centre, I use FX Buckley's on Moore St. I find them very helpful and have no problem getting stuff in / putting things aside for me.

For fish I also use Kish, very happy with what I get from them. I find it a bit of a pain that the close so early on a Sat though (around 1.30pm but they might have extended this till 2pm, worth checking) cause if I am in bed with a hangover then I'm not likely to be up in time to get to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just searched 'fishmonger+dublin' in goldenpages.ie and the first thing that popped up was Wackers Pet Shop but I don't recommend going there for your fish dinner!

I hope some fishmongers are reading this thread because there is a great opening for fish shops inland. Not everyone can live beside the sea! Having said that, I often buy fish in Superquinn in Walkinstown and the staff there are very knowledgeable and can make recommendations about what fish to buy. I've taken their advice and bought fish I wouldn't normally consider, and have found that I now have a broader selection to choose from. I used to just buy cod, but now I'll try most types of fish, and every week they have specials. I tried this in Dunnes, but the woman selling the fish there didn't like to eat fish, not a good result in Dunnes. Before you ask, no, I've no connection with Superquinn I just shop there sometimes.

I bought fish in Howth recently, got great value €10 for enough whiting and ray for 6 dinners. It was a smaller shop further down past Wright's and it was where they feed the seals. Have you seen the seals, they come right up to the pier and they are gorgeous, and huge! Good luck with your fish hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There does be a fishmongers stall on Pearse st opposite Pearse square every Saturday.

If anyone is still interested I saw a notice in a window in The Square, Tallaght, Dublin. A new fish shop is opening next Tuesday - its called The Good Fish Shop and they are also looking for staff. No connection to me - I think its a Cork company. I'll be visiting there next Tuesday as I have been dying to have a local fishmongers - I hope they do well. Its situated beside Black Tie at the post office side of The Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I used to get great fresh fish from the fish stalls in Moore Street. But haven't been down there in a while but I'm sure the women are still there - might be worth a look they are down towards the Parnell St. end. - a few stalls and it was great value too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vanjaqwq

tasteofthesea.ie opened up in Glasnevin Industrial Estate late last year. Fish is all frozen but it's the business. Wide variety of fish at very good prices. Very friendly staff to boot. Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bullettooth

There is a new fish shop opening this week in the square tallaght think its on Tuesday should give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

deaddonkey wrote: »
    Giles fishmonger in Phibsboro is pretty good.
    Open thursdays and fridays last time I was home.

Also, Byrne's porkbutchers in phibsboro is the dog's bollocks

Didn't realise that place was in business, it's entirely empty everytime I've walked past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Good fishmongers in Lucan village called McAllisters. Very good value from my experience.

There is a new fish shop opening this week in the square tallaght think its on Tuesday should give it a go

Hi Bullettooth - I already put this up here. Do you know anything about the company? I hope its not all frozen fish as I prefer all my meat/fish to be fresh. I'll be there on Tuesday. Maybe they will have good deals on their first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I bought fish in Howth recently, got great value €10 for enough whiting and ray for 6 dinners. It was a smaller shop further down past Wright's and it was where they feed the seals. .

That'd be Nicky's alright!!! Last fishop down the west pier.
    I'm really lucky in that I'm only 15minutes from Howth and I would bother myself going to anywhere other than Nicky's. Top quality fish and excellent service, been going there for years, absolutely cannot recommend them highly enough.

Fair enough from Leixlip it's a trek, but if anyone else is closer and looking for good fish you really owe yourself a trip to check it out for yourself, if it's weather like it is today give yourself some extra time due to heavy traffic, but can fit in a 99 and a wander round the harbour as well.

If you like Smoked Salmon you really have to make the effort to try Nicky's in-house smoked, it's delish

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

blueband wrote: »
    That'd be Nicky's alright!!! Last fishop down the west pier.
    I'm really lucky in that I'm only 15minutes from Howth and I would bother myself going to anywhere other than Nicky's. Top quality fish and excellent service, been going there for years, absolutely cannot recommend them highly enough.

Fair enough from Leixlip it's a trek, but if anyone else is closer and looking for good fish you really owe yourself a trip to check it out for yourself, if it's weather like it is today give yourself some extra time due to heavy traffic, but can fit in a 99 and a wander round the harbour as well.

If you like Smoked Salmon you really have to make the effort to try Nicky's in-house smoked, it's delish
    I don't eat fish myself but Nicky's has a good repuation, I think he has a place out in Ashbourne now. There was a lad on Derek Mooney who trained with Nicky and now has his own place in Rathfarnham. He went from being a software developer to a fishmonger:http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/fp2011/jan18.html

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Not sure about fishmongers but there's plenty of quality butchers on Meath Street and another on Thomas Street near the junction with Meath Street.

They all have very cheap prices too.

• Advertisement

Not sure about fishmongers but there's plenty of quality butchers on Meath Street and another on Thomas Street near the junction with Meath Street.

They all have very cheap prices too.

It has always been that way on Meath St and Thomas St - very cheap prices. However, when it comes to meat and fish, I am always scared of cheap shops and wonder where the stuff really comes from. I could be very very wrong to be suspicious but you can't be too careful with meat and fish I always think. If you can guarantee to me that its top quality and Irish, then of course I apologise.

Advertisement