Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow box violators

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

The Swords Road (outside The Viscount for anyone who knows it) was great this morning. I stood waiting on a bus for about 40 minutes, and in that time saw 6 people being reprimanded by a motorcycle cop for stopping in the yellow box.

People always pile into that box as it is where 2 lanes of traffic suddenly become 1 traffic lane and 1 bus lane.

The thing that amazed me was that the cop was sitting, in a hi-vis suit across the road, and people would drive into the box, and then hide behind the steering wheel hoping that the cop wouldn't see them :confused:
    Now I hate when the guards do the 'shooting fish in a barrell' thing on a motorway, but this was rediculous - talk about begging to be caught!

One thing I meant to ask, has anyone seen a driver stopped for driving in/on a bicycle lane? According to penaltypoints.ie it is an offence, but I've never seen anyone stopped for it. On many roads I see people using part of the cycle track as an 'inside lane' to make a quicker left turn etc.

Enforcement Enforcement Enforcement :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I love it...

If they could sort out the arseholes who lose all sense of reasoning and direction
    when it comes to roundabouts, then I'll be satisfied...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Good stuff :D
    Similar situation on the Navan Road at the Castleknock roundabout, people heading into the box end up blocking traffic on the roundabout who are trying to get down Auburn Avenue...all because they can't wait to get a few feet ahead. The traffic is going nowhere anyway, whats the sense in stopping everyone else from getting where they want to go?

It has been totally clear the past 2 weeks though because they have a Garda on duty standing at the roundabout...just standing there. its enough to keep the way free anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

connundrum wrote:
    One thing I meant to ask, has anyone seen a driver stopped for driving in/on a bicycle lane? According to penaltypoints.ie it is an offence, but I've never seen anyone stopped for it. On many roads I see people using part of the cycle track as an 'inside lane' to make a quicker left turn etc.

It's only a penalty point offence if there's a continuous white line dividing the cycle lane from the road. Most cycle lanes I see have a broken white line. Still ignornant to drive on them when there's plenty of space in your own lane though imo.
    miamee wrote:
    It has been totally clear the past 2 weeks though because they have a Garda on duty standing at the roundabout...just standing there. its enough to keep the way free anyway :D

I've noticed that too. It's bloody great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah they did it at the roundabout near the Pavillions in Swords the other day and about time too. Folk sitting in boxes caused a tailback in all directions !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

connundrum wrote:
    The Swords Road (outside The Viscount for anyone who knows it) was great this morning. I stood waiting on a bus for about 40 minutes, and in that time saw 6 people being reprimanded by a motorcycle cop for stopping in the yellow box.

Give that guard a pat on the back the next time you see him. Nice to see some guard reprimanding idiot drivers that haven't got a clue about yellow boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've noticed in some places they've replaced yellow boxes with white boxes that have the words "Keep Clear" written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Keyzer wrote:
    I love it...

If they could sort out the arseholes who lose all sense of reasoning and direction
    when it comes to roundabouts, then I'll be satisfied...

The Terryland roundabout in Galway comes to mind..........!

The yellow box offenders are an ignorant, sickening shower - especially at t-junctions, when they block you and they adopt the "stare straight ahead, ignore the person mouthing f*ck words at you"!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stark wrote:
    I've noticed in some places they've replaced yellow boxes with white boxes that have the words "Keep Clear" written on them.

Sorry for going off post but on these, whats the law regarding driving into them? They aren't covered in the current ROTR and I can't remember then in the new draft ROTR. I know the rules for yellow boxes, but what can you be done for if you drive into a "Keep Clear" box as there is no rule/law for their use?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I saw a beauty earlier.

I was behind an older car coming up to a red light in the turn right lane.

Car goes straight through stop line, scatters pedestrians on their crossing and tries to nudge out into major road.

I used the horn and the drivers starts giving it all the hands etc. because the had gone so far forward they then couldn't see the red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Isn't 'violating' (oo er missus ;) ) a yellow box a pointable offence? If not, then it is due to be phased in as one. It does get my goat alright when people block them, but although it is not stated in ROTR, iirc, one should treat every junction as if it has a yellow box. For access and egress purposes, as a courtesy to other drivers, and also should an emergency vehicle need to gain entry to the road. These dumba$$e$ who reckon if theres no yellow box then i can block the road need to cop on.

Oh no, i think i might be going off on one now.........:eek:

Lets say you're in stationary traffic, waiting behind a long yellow box. The traffic ahead of you is prevented from moving cos of red lights a short distance ahead. Lights go green, and you prepare to move forward, only for smart gits joining the road from your left. Lights go red again and your stuck.
    How many do you let thru before you go mad (as well as the guy behind you)
    and drive onto the yellow box to prevent any other cars joining from the left?

Answers on a postcard please to Joe Duffy, RTE, Donnybrook, Dublin 4

• Advertisement
Advertisement