Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Parking in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

West Gardens 10 - These are generally used by residents, we had two spaces used most of the time i lived there.

Honourable mention to Fish Quay 1 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'll fight ya for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

One of the biggest problems is the fact that developers are allowed to build appartments all over the place, and provide no parking spaces sor them. They should be given planning, dependant on providing one parking space per appartment. I know a guy who lives on Lower Abbey Street (between Fruit and Veg Shop and Riverside Hotel). He has a residents permit, but the Corporation told him he's no longer allowed to park on Abbey Street. He must park on Lower Abbey Street. There's only parking on one side of the road (about 8-10 cars worth) for the houses on that side and all the appartments across the way. 20 into 10 doesn't go. The Corporation aren't living in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

il gatto wrote:
    One of the biggest problems is the fact that developers are allowed to build appartments all over the place, and provide no parking spaces sor them.

Agreed. If you want to see how pathetic the Borough Council is, you only have to look at all the shops / the shopping ctr going up on what used to be the Johnston court car park. How did they get planning for so many big big shops and apartments there without providing car parking ? Heads should roll. And look next door at Tesco, who built that big white box building on what was car parking spaces.

There is a multi-story car park included in that development vesp.
    The entrance to it is already visible.

http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/CH2/RCH2241.DOC

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    There is a multi-story car park included in that development vesp.
    The entrance to it is already visible.

http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/CH2/RCH2241.DOC

Are you sure ? Nobody I have spoken to mentions a multi-storey car park in that development. Where is the entrance to it - and if you mean the entrance on John St. is that entrance not just for servicing / goods access to the many shops there ? I am open to being corrected. I thought it had been reported in the media some time ago that the developers of that centre are depending on Treasury for the car parking spaces....who have yet not provided any spaces and whose plans in the Autumn envisaged much fewer spaces than previously hoped for. I am delighted if there will be ample car parking spaces in the development currently being built- how many spaces are being provided do you know ? Will they be for customers of the shops to use or just for residents of the apartments overhead ?

The interesting link to www.pleanala.ie concerns a relatively small plot of land, much too small for meaningful car park spacing. Quote "The lands comprise of six roughly square or rectangular shaped parcels of land which vary in size from 40 square metres to 70 square metres and which together form a continuous strip of land some 44 x 7.3 metres."

Not sure where the entrance is or how many spaces.
    I think the entrance could be beside that white thingy that tesco built.
    The report you mention was for the Wine Street Cark park development - not Johnson's Court!

In which they were supposed to have 1000 spaces but only had 300ish on the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was just reading about all the spaces in the Champion, sounds wonderful doesn't it!!:D
    I'm surprised they didn't include the hospital considering the amount of people that park there and walk down to the town.

Well it's actually quite reasonable to park in the Hospital.
    €2.20 for up to 4 hours.
    €4 for up to 24 Hours.
    Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Its not great when you are trying to get parked for an appointment or to get a child into A&E on Monday (like I was trying to do) and all the muppets had parked their to do their Christmas shopping.

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    Not sure where the entrance is or how many spaces.
    I think the entrance could be beside that white thingy that tesco built.

That is the pedestrian entrance. There is no multi-storey car park - or any type of car park - in the Johnston Court development that I or other people know of. Still, I am open to being corrected, and time will tell.

The link you provide Gillie is not relevant ( http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/CH2/RCH2241.DOC ) that I can see.

There is a mention of car parking in it so it's relevant.
    That is not a pedestrian entrance!

Gillie wrote:
    There is a mention of car parking in it so it's relevant.

Not really : your link is about lands to be acquired by CPO. It says in your document ( and I quote ) the properties to be acquired " are necessary for the construction of service areas to accommodate various developments planned on foot of an Integrated Area Plan and a Centre Block Master Plan for Sligo City Centre. The dimensions of the land take which is the subject of the CPO are necessary for the ordered access of goods delivery vehicles to the proposed retail and order developments" What has that to do with car parking for the new Johnston court development ?

Look I havn't got time to read the fecking thing again. I linked it coz I read something about car parking in it.

Whats is with you anyway? You like to argue a lot or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I have to say i did not read it either but i dont think its a topic for a bebate. Gille just give his opinioin, vesp you wanna share yours on the car parking situation in sligo

Gillie wrote:
    Whats is with you anyway? You like to argue a lot or what?

Manners please.

nanook wrote:
    Gille just give his opinioin, vesp you wanna share yours on the car parking situation in sligo

I gave my opinion so we are all clear. I read carefully Gillies link and clarified it was not relevant to the point he made and to which the link was attached.

I apologise if the link was invalid or irrelevant.
    I guess we'll know shortly if I was incorrect about the car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

You mean there is parking in Sligo... Must need to be early. Is it just me or are the spaces in the new Dunnes Stores carpark too thin!!

Also slightly off topic, I cannot believe the Quayside charge for Toilets!!! When the toliets are actually open. They used to do that in the square in Letterkenny in the 70's. And people wonder why Sligo has a problem with attracting trade! I'd imagine the rental of a shop unit there includes maintanence where as I wonder how many 15c's are required to pay for someone to actually sit there and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But does Sligo have any greater problems with car parking than any other large town in the North West? Seems to be a problem in every town

• Advertisement

fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Is it just me or are the spaces in the new Dunnes Stores carpark too thin!!
    No, you're right. They're a little tighter than comfortable alright.

Advertisement