Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating around recessed/spot lights

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Starting to isulate between my first floor joists and as I have a number of recessed lights/spots in the ceiling downstairs I was wondering what gap/distance I need to leave around each light to prevent the insulation catching fire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

HI Jayo,

I've never heard of that insulation catching fire, but I'm sure it can happen, the wood in the ceiling can burn too. you can get insulation "Hoods" these hoods have a fire rating and are available from wholesalers like Kellihers, TO O Reillies, Ct electric etc. The hood goes above the fitting forms a barrier between the hot fitting and the insulation and other building materials.

transformers and lamps etc can overheat, blow and stop working, typically a good 12" around the fitting does the trick, you need to get air around the electrical bits,
    if your concerned about fire then get the fire rated hoods.

Advertisement