Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow - a decent driving school/instructor

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey there, wondering if anyone can recommend a good instructor or driving school in Carlow. Just got word of my test and back living in Carlow after long absence. I have been driving for quite a while just want to get someone to pick up on the bad habits etc. for a couple of lessons. Could just look up Golden pages I know but prefer to get someone with good record. If anyone can point me in right direction I'd be v happy!
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

pixiep wrote:
    Hey there, wondering if anyone can recommend a good instructor or driving school in Carlow. Just got word of my test and back living in Carlow after long absence. I have been driving for quite a while just want to get someone to pick up on the bad habits etc. for a couple of lessons. Could just look up Golden pages I know but prefer to get someone with good record. If anyone can point me in right direction I'd be v happy!
    Thanks a lot!
    if its not too late i have a kick ass driving instructor, yvonne, shes with ISM, i dont have her no. now but i'll edit this post later, and put it up. or you can ring ism and they would have her no. on file, she was recommend to me by them!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

i used peter coogan. he's a good guy and won't "steer" you wrong. apologises for the pun! :) he basically passed my driving test....

i used the ISM before, but i had some guy, cant remember his name, and he was useless..

come to think of it maybe women instructors are better though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

yeah, my instructor was telling that there was one fella who is a ignorant s.o.b. he only came up when i was crossing over the port loaise bidge and an instructors car came up and passed over 3 cars in a row and went off at about 65 mph arond the round about,(come to think of it, there was a robbery up by there wasnt it, yesterday morning mmmmm......lol) apparently he does shout alot at new drivers but there is some good ones out there too, but it seems that women are better, for some weird reason, maternal instincts or something,like this one yvonne i use, is a mother of two, so co-insidence???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

David Ryan is brilliant... i passed 1st time, so did loads i know with him, he's a bit gruff but to the point and knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PatCarr

Ray Shannon from Tullow is top class. Has an excellent pass rate too. Don't have his number but www.1st-gear.ie is his site.Sure all his details r there..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As this is Carlow specific..

Topic Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Dolmen School of motoring are brilliant, All my family have used them. All passed too. I went elsewhere but am going there for my re-test. Philip is the instructors name. Sound chap and very good instructor.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Dolmen School of motoring are brilliant, All my family have used them. All passed too. I went elsewhere but am going there for my re-test. Philip is the instructors name. Sound chap and very good instructor.
    Try Ray... <snip - no posting of numbers> young and recently qualified. I found him more than helpful.. handout of questions and printed test routes... top guy. ps got his number from above site...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dont post numbers on the post, even if it is publicly available.

Christ, all you need is the poor lad getting phone calls from drunken boardsies :P

Never thought of that, thanks sully....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Hey,
    basically there's only a handful of driver instructors you can really rely on in Carlow. I tried 2 instructors before my test and thought they were good (I didn't know any better) But then I tried Kathy,because I'd rather a female instructor, she was great. She used to be a driver tester! So....you know what she's telling you right, and some of the stuff was comletely the opposite to what the other instructors had said!! And I passed my first time (in Graigcullen and all ;) )
    She told me there are only a few who do things properly and there are a lot of cowboys out there....so <snip - no posting of numbers>
    She also mentioned Peter Coogan was excellent, heres his num - <snip - no posting of numbers>, Peter Coogan's daughter is also a driver instructor <snip - no posting of numbers>, and I'm guessing her Dad thought her so she's bound to go by the same way he does. She also said Fergus was brilliant - <snip - no posting of numbers>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If that's Fergus Hutton then yeah, best instructor going.

Absolute legend.

My instructor kept it really simple. Broke it into sections like (i) Observation (ii) Lane position (iii) Progress (iv) Rules of the road at junctions. I was well drilled for my exam in 5 lessons. There was no surprises. Covered all questions and technical checks and the routes too. Great value for money. €150 for 5 lessons that lasted an hour or sometimes ran over. Highly recommended:)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

http://www.carlowdrivingacademy.com/
    I used this guy. Despite the terrible look of the web site with an old front page template, the instructor was incredible. I only arranged with him 5 days before my test, because my previous instructor was nothing more than a money sucker. The new guy did an incredible job and told me what exactly is needed to pass.

PS. with such strict hard-to-pass tests, how do we get so many idiots on the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

PatCarr wrote: »
    €150 for 5 lessons that lasted an hour or sometimes ran over.

Who'd ya run over? Did ya still pass?:pac:

Anyway, Fergus Hutton for me, 5 lessons in the 2 week period before my test and i passed first time, legend IMO.*

*Fergus is also a legend:D

Oh yeah I shouldn't have posted any numbers....oopsy

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭car

I Second the Dolmen School of Motoring, Philip is a very calm and patient man, I recently have past cause of him, he brought me on the exact route I got for my test, the night before my exam. How lucky was I!

He gave me handouts to help me for the oral exam. 35 yo yos for an hours lesson, but worth every penny, if u saw how I used to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 violagol

Kate f,can you tell me where to find this Kathy?no numbers obviously :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i also stand by fergus.

had five lessons with him. not the kind of guy to go to if you're at all sensitive, but he gets to the point, and i found his approach brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

peter coogan all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 playbunnyplay

Jim "howya now" Hennessy was great! to the point no faffing around and he also got a girl through the test who i had considered to be a deadly dangerous driver! He is great! good man Jim!

Jim "howya now" Hennessy was great! to the point no faffing around and he also got a girl through the test who i had considered to be a deadly dangerous driver! He is great! good man Jim!

was there brown envelopes passed so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

Chris O'Sullivan Driving School, (Righgear) is really great, fantastic pass record, passed my mum after 30 years of bad habits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

ok I just passed my test and I had 10 lessons altogether with Hazel Moran PM me for her number...Shes is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I only started driving in september and two months later Iv my full license!! LEGEND!!:D:eek:

well done on your test

To the point?? Are you joking lol. That man tells the most outragous stories, Its like, "ehhh sorry should I have stopped at that light....oh yeah yeah sure ya know yourself, drive on there, so anyway, then I said to yer man...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drivers

Hi There why not try LDrivers.ie they have a list of driving instructors in almost every county. It may help sort out your problem of trying to find a good driving instructor. All there instructors are rsa adi approved:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 thesaharastyle

i'd go with peter coogan aswell i had lesson wit him aswell and he's very good
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

there's a Ryan school of motoring around.. that guy with a red micra sport. i forgot what his name was...beardy guy, he's FANTASTIC!!

I went to Quantum before my test cos David(?) Ryan was on holidays, the guy was an alright instrutor but cannot shut his mouth, I often needed to ask him where am i going just as im on the roundabout!! and he only do 2 hours session, passed my test, but still wouldnt recommend him

• Advertisement
Advertisement