Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad Diesel!!!

Options
  • 13-12-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all,

Need some advice on this. Quick background. Bought new VW Golf in April 05. No problems til about a forthnight ago. 60K on clock, dash alert for service. No problem there. Rang garage in Newry (live in Dundalk) because McAliasters in Airside said it'd be al least 5-6 weeks before i got a service. Anyhow, garage in Newry very helpful, fit me in within the week.

Anyhow, drove to Dublin on sunday (car burping or kicking or "missing a beat" as i tried to explain it) but thought just an air filter problem to do with impending service and ignored. Was heading to work on monday, only 6 mile drive but car kept loosing power, couldn't accelerate past 40Km per hour. Lots of smoke when downshifting. Called into McAlisters to check but noone there to look at for 3 days (all service guys away training - what a joke) One guy told me they couldn't do anything because there were no lights on dash. Advised to drive on until car cut out - idiot. Rand garage in newry and filled them in and asked could i leave car in early to be looked at. No hassle there and limped, and i mean limped to Newry on Monday afternoon. Spoke to mechanic in garage and he suspected a broken or damaged boost pipe

Wasn't sure about it but left car anyhow.. Rang today and now they're blaming bad diesel. Is this a cop out or what?? I get diesel in a number of garages all the way from dublin to dundalk.

Do garages know that there is no way for us to check and just blame diesel to make money.

Advise please..
    :mad:

Tonto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Ask for a fuel sample, tell them you remember where you got your fuel and you want to take it up with them and they want a sample and also the fuel filter !

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Will do. They say they have a sample of the fuel for me, but i got diesel last Thurs and a full tank so surely it would have shown up within the day rather than 3 days later....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It could have been washed diesel, and that would take a few days to work through the system and ruin the car. Was it a garage that you usually get diesel from? I know that a lot of new diesels are being wrecked on washed diesel as the acid they use to take the die out plays havoc with the injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is such a thing as "bad diesel" ...caused by bacteria.

read this LINK for a start and google "bacteria diesel"

Advertisement