Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opengl rotating and zooming

Options
  • 13-12-2006 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i have a game written in c++ using openGL and am hoping someone can input zoom using the keyboard arrows and rotating using the mouse. will email code to whoever fells they are up to the challenge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd suggest you learn more about the world and view matrix and how to get them before starting with rotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is this a game you've written yourself, or something someone else has done? Just trying to get a feel for what you're expecting of any volunteers here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jimijehova

Hi aidan, this is a game that was given to me and i have changed various parts but cannot seem to get the rotating of the screen object to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I'd also suggest learning more about the various matrices and transformations, because what you want to do here is fairly trivial.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/ have a few tutorials that should explain a lot about opengl - you probably don't have to go through the setup of the programs to draw this stuff, because you probably have some sort of framework in place (i.e. GUT the game of all its innards and work from there), but it'll explain the basics.

I'd also suggest that you try just rotating without any mouse control. Like set up a little loop that draws a scene and rotates it a little bit, and then sleeps... and then repeats.

Once you get the hang of it, you can feed it back into the game you're working on.

Edit: Also, if you're really getting serious about Opengl, you probably want the Blue book and the Red Book for reference (links were snarfed from Opengl.org - another good site on that stuff)

Hope that helps,
    Aoife

Advertisement