Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery and Target shooting.

Options
  • 13-12-2006 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I went turned up for a bit of archery training today in college, did pretty well for my first time, so I'm guessing there;s a fair bit of transferable skills. Just wondering if any other shooters did a bit of cross training?

Would achery practice help my shooting at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Might improve your breathing and relaxing your body before taking a shot not sure about what else

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One of the mods on the Archery forum here is a very good air pistol shooter in Wilkinstown. Something about holding a 100lb bow at full extension making the air pistol hold seem simple by comparison :D

Tried the olympic archery stuff once. Similar to olympic shooting in many ways - the same mental attitude, the same "gosh that doesn't look like a bow!" response to the gear, the same cost for the gear :(, the same lack of clubs :(, and the same buzz from a good shot :)

I don't think too many technical skills transfer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Might improve your breathing and relaxing your body before taking a shot not sure about what else

I think I was the only person thinking of zero position and follow through. Maybe that's the bulk of the transterable skills/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I bought a compound bow years ago and someone dry-fired it fecking up
    the pully system. I never fired it at targets afterwards and never got it looked
    at. I was also told it was missing a small bit from it so for safety reasons
    its been gathering dust in a corner.

One of my hobbies is Classical Fencing (foil/rapier/epee) the bloke
    that teaches me also is Mad into Field Archery. I tried it a while back
    and I was total and utter crap!!!! But yer man told me it was becuase
    the arrows were not the propper arrows for the bow. Different stiffness and length.

When I was in the FCA I was one of the best at shooting in my group so I was bitterly
    disappointed when none of my Arrows were hitting the target even when I
    was aiming upto two targets to the right and high to compensate to where
    they did hit. Even more alarming was I was at an open day to the public
    to promote the sport and there was 5 years old picking up the junior bows
    and hitting the bull every time!

It may depend on the person but none of my skills transferred over when
    trying archery!! :-(

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Tried Bow hunting once.If there is a crossover of skills it is in stalking and cammo.Was crap at it,due to the later discoverd fact I was using a right handed bow and am left handed.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I remember trying it and couldn't hit the target let alone the bull till i realised all the arrows were going pretty much the same direction so..... aimed 4ft to the right and 2ft down and was hiting the target i dunno what was going on i was aiming well off the target but was getting consistant bulls

I wouldnt expect someone who is good at shooting to be good at archery or vise versa althought they're alike theres alot of different skills involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

I've been an archer for ten years now, and took up airpistol shooting a while back - found the mental skills transferred very well, was able to centre myself and control the breathing - aiming also came easy to me.

Advertisement