Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trying to set up wireless network no ip address

• 13-12-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi all

trying to connect 2 computers to netgear rangemax adsl wireless modem router with no joy

both computers are connected via ethernet port yet only one is geting internet access

the other is hardwired and also a usb adapter but is failing totally to pick up anything i tried ipconfig/all and it came back with no ip address, media disconnected it shows the usb adapter on it but thats it

presumably this computer is configured wrongly, i have eircom broadband can anybody tell me what way should i set it up in internet options i taught it would automatically detect the router/modem without me having to do anything

as always your advise and input most appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 deadsoul

what windows are u running and firewall are u using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭duleekboy

xpspp2

windows firewall at the moment

i managed to get the LAN up and running but still cant get usb key to work, it detects the router on some scans 100% when i click apply it comes up with validate settings message and then nothing back to square one

broadband connection is set to automatically detect settings but wont connect

LAN connection isnt really practical in long run and kinda defeats wireless

did u setup in internet options that u are using wireless to connect to the net?
    can u hardwire the unit thats not working and try ping the router if it can ping the router the fire wall is not the problem .How are u pinging using c:\ ? .Are u using a eircom wireless router .

thanks for replies guys i think i am getting somewhere however now i am getting
    "valiadate settings" problem with usb wpn111 when connecting to the network.

The network is listed as "NETGEAR", under the Networks tab signal strength is listed as 96%. When I click "connect" a small window pops up: "validate settings" and returns me to the settings page. Clicking apply on this page gives the same "validate settings" window. i have tried it disabling security but stil;l same problem

I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled to be sure it was done correctly.

anybody know how to sort this?

did u go into internet options and tell it to connect with wireless?
    is the software with the usb unit is there a program to control it or make changes.Can u sent me a link so i can see the units ur working on.in network and dialup in control panal right click on local area connection and tell me whats in there on the unit thats not connecting ok.

• Advertisement

wireless router/modem

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

usb adapter

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxAdapters/WPN111.aspx

ipconfig command gives following info

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\dan>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : li-6aab62ab0f2
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-72-8E-35-54
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 December 2006 02:59:49
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 18 December 2006 02:59:49

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR RangeMax(TM) Wireless USB 2.
    0 Adapter WPN111
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-6C-52-96-FE

C:\Documents and Settings\dan>

not too sure what to make of this

it says media disconnected

I have tried going into setup in internet options to tell it i wish to use wireless for internet connection but dont seem to be able to get into correct menu.

That info is grand did u just connect the unit thats not working to the router throught the network connection and try ping from the nonworking unit the ip address of the router or have u done this .

ta for reply

close to giving up on this.....

just checking:to ping the ip address i go into dos mode yes and type the 192.168.0.1 address?

a search on netgear forums and related wireless forums reveals problems with driver for the usb adapter conflicting with xp ssp2

their technical support gave this reply

I understand your concern that you are unable to connect wireless network. It is in this context, please follow the steps below:

(I) check the wireless settings on the router using the computer which is directly connected to the router:

A. Open the router page using the steps below :

1. Open the browser(Internet Explorer or Netscape).
    2. Access the router (usually http://192.168.0.1).
    3. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it).

B. Check the following wireless settings:

1. Click on wireless settings from the left menu.
    2. Select the region and set the channel to 6.
    3. Set the mode to g and b
    4. Set the security to disabled.
    5. Enable Wireless Accesspoint should be checked.
    6. Enable SSID Broadcast should be checked.
    7. Click on 'Setup Access List'.
    8. 'Turn Access Control On' should be unchecked.
    9. Apply the settings.

(II) Check the following settings on the wireless computer:

1. Double click on WG311 icon from the right hand extreme bottom corner of the screen, near the system clock, in the system tray.
    2. Click on networks tab
    3. Click on the SCAN button - This will show a listing of all available networks .
    4. Select the network you wish to connect to and click on the "CONNECT" button .
    5. This will automatically take you back to the settings tab.
    6. If you are using WEP security then Enter the WEP KEY under the option 'Enter Key manually' under the settings Tab.
    7. Apply Settings .
    8. This should get you connected to your selected network .
    9. Click on the 'About' tab and check the IP address.
    10. If you are getting an IP address in the format of 192.168.1.x , try to go online.
    11. If you are not getting an IP or the IP is in the format of 169.254.x.x , restart the computer and then try to go online.

I hope this will resolve the issue. If you have any further concern please email us back.

when i get some calm and serentity back i will give it a go:D no mention from them of driver problems!!!

Just when you say go to dos mode and type the ip you are putting in "ping 192.168.0.1" without the "" just putting in the ip addres will not work .One of the computer is working yes? did u wire the nonwork one to the router and did u go into the control panal network and dialup connection then goto local area connection click the right mouse button goto properties there should be 4 command lines in the white box can u tell me what they are if u can't find it I will give u my home number ring me and have the nonwork unit on ok.

Advertisement