Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating content dynamically

Options
  • 13-12-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I have a site completed but now i would rather have a cms to update the content on the go..
    Whats the best way i could do this. Is it possible to set up wordpress and use it within my site, not have it as a blog but to use it for updating news etc? I dont want to go down the route of setting up a template for wordpress, just using parts of it to display on a site

or is there an easier way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Is it just one small news section? Write a little serverside language app (php, asp etc.), its an easy job if you know how. If not, ask someone to do it for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I second Mirror's suggestion that you write it yourself with php. You can customise it to your exact requirements, and you needn't bother with a mySQL database if you only have one small cms area - just write to a flat text file instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

well there is no prob with sql, i have access to 2 dbs on the site. I just need a quick easy solution.

Back to the other question...is it possible i could do this with wordpress??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm sure it would be possible, but the amount of hacking you'd need to do would mean it'll probably be easier just to write a simple app yourself. Depending on your needs anyway - i.e. if it's just a simple news update you're after.

Wordpress will likely come with a whole lot of junk you just don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

unfortunatly i aint an sql/php person so writing my own app it out of the question. Was gonna use some of the scripts provided with the hosting pack but they all seem to create pages ala blog style templates. I have an existing site and all i want is something to just give me a way to update my site. Is there anyway to just use the code from the likes of drupal or coranto etc there tech documentation just seems to go round in circles for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

If you want to go the CMS route then I can reccommend Textpattern or Movable Type. You could probably do it with wordpress too but I'm not too familiar with the system (outside of using it for blogging).

Advertisement