Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insured on friends car for driving test.

Options
  • 13-12-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Good evening,

I've got my driving test on Monday afternoon at 2pm. However, my instructor is unavailable for me to use his car and I would therefore require use of another car. An option would be another driving school car, however I am posting to seek information on whether it is possible to get insured on a car for a short period of time; i.e., 5-7 days.

This would allow me to be insured on my friends car and mean I could drive for as long as he would allow me, and likely provide better value than driving schools.

Your replies are much appreciated.

Regards,
    ish.

And would this be at all possible with a rental car? I understand they only offer rentals to people aged 21+ or higher, but have heard of exceptions (well, have been told of).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You need a full licence to rent a car.

You could get insured for a few days, but they'll charge an administration fee to have you taken off the insurance again. You should ring up the insurance company to find out the actual cost. In might be better value for you to stay on for the rest of the year.

If you go for another driving school car, you'll have the advantage that the car is likely good to go for the driving test. If you go with your friend's car, you'll need to make sure that the car has been kept up to date maintenance/tax/insurance/nct etc. wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good evening,

I've got my driving test on Monday afternoon at 2pm. However, my instructor is unavailable for me to use his car and I would therefore require use of another car. An option would be another driving school car, however I am posting to seek information on whether it is possible to get insured on a car for a short period of time; i.e., 5-7 days.

This would allow me to be insured on my friends car and mean I could drive for as long as he would allow me, and likely provide better value than driving schools.

Your replies are much appreciated.

Regards,
    ish.

This is a possibility, your friend will need to ring his/her insurance company to get a definate answer.
    And would this be at all possible with a rental car? I understand they only offer rentals to people aged 21+ or higher, but have heard of exceptions (well, have been told of).

As far as I know rental companies will not rent to people with a provisional licence. Most if not all rental companies require you to hold a full licence for at least 1 or 2 years.

Advertisement