Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Easy Electives?

• 13-12-2006 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Are there any rediculiously easy electives out there for next term? Preferably mathsy.

I cannot find one that looks good and i dont want to be stuck with the likes of development economics like this term. Worst subject ever, first years, don't do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Mathsy......

last year there was "Introduction to Mechanics" which was very easy if you had done Leaving Cert Physics and/or applied maths, and not particularly difficult if you hadn't.

I don't know if it's being offered this year/semester though >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'm doing an Introduction to Quantative Economics, looks pretty easy! The first few lectures seem to deal with differentiation, as in how to find the rate of change of something...I took it cuz I wanted something easy :P

Study Methods..

Based on Attendance only, its a level 0.

Teaches you how to use the library resources.

Kinda boring though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Study Methods..

Based on Attendance only, its a level 0.

Teaches you how to use the library resources.

Kinda boring though

Are you serious? There's no work involved? How many hours a week? It would be nice to figure out how to use the library while avoiding philosophy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not mathsy, but stage 1 language modules are insanely easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

There's no way someone would get into a stage one language this late. My friend was trying to sort her timetable out and the person beside her couldn't even get into beginners Russian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

tywy wrote:
    I'm doing an Introduction to Quantative Economics, looks pretty easy!
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Ah.........first years.
    That course had a massive fail rate last year, only 20something % passed in semester 1.

Brimmy wrote:
    Are you serious? There's no work involved? How many hours a week? It would be nice to figure out how to use the library while avoiding philosophy...

one 2 hour lecture a week.

We had to fill in a worksheet at the end of each class about the lesson. But you could literally just sit there and ask the lecturer for every second answer, and someone else would ask all the others.

In hindsight, not a relevant elective for my course at all. But for those who are doing reasearch-heavy courses, could be quite helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Ah.........first years.
    That course had a massive fail rate last year, only 20something % passed in semester 1.

High fail rate, but if you like maths it's actually a piece of piss. Alot of the maths type business/economics courses tend to have a high fail rate. The average mark in Micro this term was 20% :eek:

Languages and me just don't mix, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Not mathsy, but stage 1 language modules are insanely easy.
    They're all full though:( No Polish ab initio for Scraggeh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

But gerry i thought u were french? MIS next year is meant to be gud, id recommend that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Children's Literature, easy and interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I know maths for business was easy last year (went to 3 lectures, got 90%+).

I think there may be maths for business 2 in semester two. I haven't done it, but I doubt it's that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

My brother did Children's Lit this semester and said it was very easy.

Also his friends did "Accounting for non-business students" and said it was the greatest joke ever....he's taking it next semester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'm in 3rd Elec Eng, from the modular descriptor it looks like I'll be learning how to differentiate. You don't need honours maths for this course so it does look like a piece of piss :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I'm currently down to do Global Justice, but tbh am looking for one that's easy to pass cause my core stuff is gonna be pretty hard this semester so I just want 5 credits, + well hardly anything fits into my schedule.

These do (I think) so has anyone done them + have an idea how much work they entail etc:

Quantitive Analysis For Business (I'm only interested in this if my LC H maths covers most of the work for me)

Economics + Society

Great Management Ideas Throughout Time

dajaffa wrote:
    I'm currently down to do Global Justice, but tbh am looking for one that's easy to pass cause my core stuff is gonna be pretty hard this semester so I just want 5 credits, + well hardly anything fits into my schedule.

These do (I think) so has anyone done them + have an idea how much work they entail etc:

Quantitive Analysis For Business (I'm only interested in this if my LC H maths covers most of the work for me)

Economics + Society

Great Management Ideas Throughout Time

What year you in? Ec and society, it's a weird one, you can either find it really easy or really hard. If you're a good waffler it's not too bad.

What year is quantative analysis for business? Is it one of those part II subjects that you need part one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I haven't read the whole way through this ridiculously short thread, but Animal Husbandry and Production is rudiculously [sic] easy

Or is it?

Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!! Probably the worst subject in 1st Commerce - don't do it man, DON'T DO IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Umaro wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!! Probably the worst subject in 1st Commerce - don't do it man, DON'T DO IT!!

I aggree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Clearly this thread, with it's many contradicting opinions shows that perhaps there is not any "easy" elective and that you must choose what suits you. And even, dare I say it that you must do some work for your electives:)

Clearly this thread, with it's many contradicting opinions shows that perhaps there is not any "easy" elective and that you must choose what suits you. And even, dare I say it that you must do some work for your electives:)
    work? you silly... A hard elective just isn't worth the hassle, could drag down other subjects.

I wish i had people telling me to stay away from the last elective i did.

I'm just trying to find out what the general opinions are, i'm not expecting people to pick for me. Just making a shortlist.

gerry87 wrote:
    What year you in? Ec and society, it's a weird one, you can either find it really easy or really hard. If you're a good waffler it's not too bad.

What year is quantative analysis for business? Is it one of those part II subjects that you need part one?

2nd Year, physio thou not comm r anything, am pretty stuck elective-wise. And I think there's no pre-req, thou I was rather sleepy when investigating so I could be wrong....

Ok no, it all depends on how ones brain is wired I suppose. There are plenty of electives I've come across which I would consider easy, but they just don't fit into my timetable. And personally I'm trying to find one that doesn't contain a huge amount of work. I mean we all (well I do) find some subjects require less work than others from our core and basically don't want to take on one that is a great deal harder than the others on offer. Tbh the 2nd one I did last year didn't require much work because it was food stuff + I'd done home Ec from the leaving. So this year I'm interested in doing one that I'll find not too hard cause I've good LC maths behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I haven't read the whole way through this ridiculously short thread, but Animal Husbandry and Production is rudiculously [sic] easy

Or is it?

Hmm.

What way is it broken into electives though? They can't be doing the entire old AHP course since it was absolutely massive and took at least a year to cover. Besides, it had one of the highest failure rates of any of the subjects across the 5 years of veterinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

nando wrote:
    What way is it broken into electives though? They can't be doing the entire old AHP course since it was absolutely massive and took at least a year to cover. Besides, it had one of the highest failure rates of any of the subjects across the 5 years of veterinary.

Agreed, but the coursework itself is actually easy, it is merely voluminous, like a beautiful maiden's ample titties.
    I was talking to a second year who is doing it through electives and to be honest, going by his grades tis either piss easy now or he is an intelligent mfer. And I would put money on the former.

High failure rates alright, but only because some people made the mistake of not shagging Hanlon:p.

dajaffa wrote:

I took a look at the paper for this and I know 2 people advised against it but it looks fairly good, must be a taste thing. I signed up for it anyway. 3 hour lectures though ugh.

Someone just told me about history of maths in 2nd year, no final exam, just a project and continual assessment, has anyone done this subject? Any opinions?

gerry87 wrote:
    I took a look at the paper for this and I know 2 people advised against it but it looks fairly good, must be a taste thing. I signed up for it anyway. 3 hour lectures though ugh.

This: http://www.ucd.ie/exams/pastpapers/2005/200543257.pdf

Have to say I'm tempted. Doesn't look like it's that far above LC (H) Maths standard + I absolutely LOVED probability back in the day + it is pretty much along those lines.

EDIT: Only one seat left according to SIS (which I only half believe) + it's in an offering that clashes, boo. I think there's plenty of errors though at the mo + I reckon if I have a goo next week there might be seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Agreed, but the coursework itself is actually easy, it is merely voluminous, like a beautiful maiden's ample titties.
    I was talking to a second year who is doing it through electives and to be honest, going by his grades tis either piss easy now or he is an intelligent mfer. And I would put money on the former.

High failure rates alright, but only because some people made the mistake of not shagging Hanlon:p.

Why, did you?? Anyway, what were us girls supposed to do - EPK, Prof. Roche, Mark Crowe? :eek:

If you're not from a farming backgound/particularly interested in farming some of the nutrition stuff can be a bit tedious. I was never a fan of feeding the high-yielding dairy cow, or the PDIE/PDIN value of soybean meal/brewers grain etc. I suppose repro or behaviour modules would be interesting enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PrincessFiona

Any Psychology/Sociology electives are relatively easy, some may have no exam and only two assignments all year. That's a doss.. And it's interesting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Question: If you're just looking for an easy elective we can assume that you're not terribly bothere about using UCD Horizons to 'broaden your horizons'. So why don't you just take another module in your major subject? I was under the impression that this could be done.

Advertisement