Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Electives?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Question: If you're just looking for an easy elective we can assume that you're not terribly bothere about using UCD Horizons to 'broaden your horizons'. So why don't you just take another module in your major subject? I was under the impression that this could be done.

Grand in some courses like Arts but impossible in most of the professional degrees + as those courses tend to have a lot of hours it's very difficult to even get ones kinda related to what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Question: If you're just looking for an easy elective we can assume that you're not terribly bothere about using UCD Horizons to 'broaden your horizons'. So why don't you just take another module in your major subject? I was under the impression that this could be done.

Oh i've been there! My last elective was from economics and it was horrible. I've chosen all the interesting ones available this term.

I'm really looking for a subject i'll like, i like easy subjects...

AHAHAHAHA I just got a seat in "intro to massage", I'm allowed do it!

If anyones is interested ion doing it it's brill cause u basically get free massages, once you're ok with removal of some clothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

dajaffa wrote:
    AHAHAHAHA I just got a seat in "intro to massage", I'm allowed do it!

If anyones is interested ion doing it it's brill cause u basically get free massages, once you're ok with removal of some clothing!

As long my massages aren't given by dajaffa i'm in!!!

As long my massages aren't given by dajaffa i'm in!!!

Hey I'm very good at them + there's some boardsies who can back me up on this :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Study Methods..

Based on Attendance only, its a level 0.

Teaches you how to use the library resources.

Kinda boring though

Anyone got any idea how to sign up for this? I'm looking at the elective list but can't seem to find it... what's it under?

just do a keyword search for study or method in level 0 courses, i think it's full tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

It's full :-(

I want to do something this semester that wont kill me, right now I'm signed up for Anthropological Philosophy..... which I really don't want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Scraggs wrote:
    They're all full though:( No Polish ab initio for Scraggeh...

What, are ALL applied languages electives full? Considering doing Japanese again (did it for the LC).

edit:

Just checked, of the two semester 2 modules only one is full, but I think it's the not-beginners one, which is ok with me. It does say this though;

Required :

Having completed ALC ab initio, CEF (Common European Framework) A1 or equivalent

I did a quick google and a CEF A1 is essentially just having a basic framework of the language (A1 is the lowest qualification, not the highest :p ). Will the other one (the one with no requirements) be too low a standard or what, does anyone know anything about it? Possibly keep in mind that I wasn't actually very good at the language, although managed to scam a C1 from the LC examiners (the only Japanese exam I didn't fail in 6th year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I have english stage 1 module Literary Genre down for my elective...has anyone done this, is it easy? I'm doing engineering (2nd year), I'm pretty good at english and have no problem doing lots of reading though.

Oh and it says my stage is still unassigned and then when I try to assign the satge the only two options are to either assign it to stage 2 (which is not the stage I want it at, I think) or to leave it unassigned...so I dunno what to do about that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

The exam results are out so: BUMP.

I'm a comp sci student going into second year and i was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some of those easy IT electives as i really don't feel like doing another arts elective and i don't like actual science.

Introduction to Massage, level 2 physio module. It's basically learning how to massage + though doing a health science is a slight advantage, it's a very doable + fun elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

My easiest and most enjoyable subject this year was Animal Diversity and Evolution in 1st Science.
    1st Science maths is very very easy. WAY below LC higher level standard.
    I don't know if you can take it as an elective since the class is usually full but try.
    I'm going to stay in science electives next year though, language was so boring I couldn't go.

dajaffa wrote:
    Introduction to Massage, level 2 physio module. It's basically learning how to massage + though doing a health science is a slight advantage, it's a very doable + fun elective.
    what's the female:male ratio in this module dajaffa? do you actually do massage sessions and practicals?

eh lets just get to the point, will there many hot women for me to gently caress and rub up in this module???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

ARCH10010, Exploring Archaeology

12 lectures (ie half a semester), one essay, fieldtrips to Hill of Tara and The National Museum (both with assignments) and no exam. Very easy IMO.

what's the female:male ratio in this module dajaffa? do you actually do massage sessions and practicals?

eh lets just get to the point, will there many hot women for me to gently caress and rub up in this module???

Well in my group it was about 9:1, + a 2 hour practical every week + a 1 hour lecture.

Suffice to say yes in theory, but when there's an even number of fellas in the sam class they tend to partner up, no set reason why they just tend to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Good to know students are taking the taxpayers' investment seriously. Maybe we should just shut down the universities and set up some printing presses to churn out the parchments... Doesn't sound like many here would be too disappointed.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Good to know students are taking the taxpayers' investment seriously. Maybe we should just shut down the universities and set up some printing presses to churn out the parchments... Doesn't sound like many here would be too disappointed.
    Explain.

Ernie Ball wrote:

If you have an issue with someone other than me I'll keep stum.

Just want to say it's a great module, you learn a lot, and well its really really cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. Ah.........first years.
    That course had a massive fail rate last year, only 20something % passed in semester 1.

A+ BABY!

OH YEAH!

w00t!

Massive fail rate, eh? NOT ME :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i hear programming is piss easy

ARCH10010, Exploring Archaeology

12 lectures (ie half a semester), one essay, fieldtrips to Hill of Tara and The National Museum (both with assignments) and no exam.
    Yeah, I really liked that module too. It was refreshing taking a course in this college that wasn't lecture intensified while letting you apply what you learn through coursework. I loved the Tara trip but the Museum trip was a bit lackluster. However, I definitely recommend the module to anyone who has any sort of interest in Archaelogy.
    Very easy IMO.
    It's easy to do the coursework and gain a grasp of the course content but the coursework was not marked easy when I did it 2 years back. If anyone thinks they'll get an A grade they better hand in coursework that is pretty exceptional.

COMP10080: Information and Communications Technology is a pretty straightforward module covering Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Computer Hardware/Software. You do 3 or 4 assignments on all these topics and a couple of MCQ exams covering everything, there is no end of semester exam. Go to your lectures and spend time on your coursework and you should get a decent grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

If you're anyway decent with basic science, do Scientific Principles for Healthcare under Nursing in Semester 1.

Business Law in Agribusiness and Rural Development (AERD somethingorother) is also easy enough if you're anyway handy with business and/or law, or even if you're not, cos they give you notes and you don't need to do any reading apart for an essay. It's in semester 2.

i hear programming is piss easy
    It is, and you can chalk up 50% in practicals which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

you must remember that some modules would be so easy that you are excluded from doing them b/c you may have gotten a C or B or higher at leaving cert. level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

dajaffa wrote:
    I'm currently down to do Global Justice, but tbh am looking for one that's easy to pass cause my core stuff is gonna be pretty hard this semester so I just want 5 credits, + well hardly anything fits into my schedule.

These do (I think) so has anyone done them + have an idea how much work they entail etc:

Quantitive Analysis For Business (I'm only interested in this if my LC H maths covers most of the work for me)

Economics + Society

Great Management Ideas Throughout Time

great management ideas has loaaaaaaaaaaaaaads of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

Ernie Ball wrote:

Yeah......the think is i didn't come to university to study "art History" or "geography of cities" I came to study computer science and i take that seriously and i'm not too shabby at it. So excuse me if i want an easy/fun elective rather than having to bust my ass on something that has NOTHING to do with my degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yeah, I really liked that module too. It was refreshing taking a course in this college that wasn't lecture intensified while letting you apply what you learn through coursework. I loved the Tara trip but the Museum trip was a bit lackluster. However, I definitely recommend the module to anyone who has any sort of interest in Archaelogy.

It's easy to do the coursework and gain a grasp of the course content but the coursework was not marked easy when I did it 2 years back. If anyone thinks they'll get an A grade they better hand in coursework that is pretty exceptional.

Personally, I have no way of comparing it with the way it was structured for yourself (I only did it last year), but I'll give an example of the harshness of the grading for 2007/08... Friend of mine handed in the essay; half the required length, awful formating (not even double spaced), no refrences or bibliography. Result: D+

Obviously not great if you're looking for an A grade, but if you're looking for something to coast through... :)

Anyway, after thinking this through, my real advise would be to take something that compliaments your degree, or that you have an interest in. Otherwise, you may end up fecking the modules out the window in a fit of laziness or ahitseasyIdon'tneedtogotolecturesI'llpassnoproblemletsgotothebarinsteadiness.

• Advertisement

Garret wrote:
    great management ideas has loaaaaaaaaaaaaaads of work

Just as well I did intro to massage instead, A+ in my practical, WOOT!

Advertisement