Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Electives?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

gubbie wrote:
    God help us if every engineering student had decided they wanted the "cultured" life, we'd probably not be able to make these books that you quote for lack of machines.

QFT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ernie Ball wrote:
    That's no trap: it's simple logic. Add the word 'inherently' and maybe the picture becomes clearer.

Oooh, you just said 'it's simple logic' to a philosophy student. Tsk tsk. If you can prove your thesis deductively I will concede (and die of shock).
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    True, but those people have no business (or, in many cases, reason for) being in a university.

Agreed. Which is why they should be sent to technical colleges.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I too am of the opinion that we should move away from the large 'multiversities' we have now, to smaller liberal arts colleges, business schools, technical colleges etc.

However, people who bang on like you do are part of the reason that will probably never happen (we don't need to get into all the other reasons on this thread, there are lots, some of them are very good reasons too). Historically the university has been seen as the highest centre of learning, thus there is no small element of snobbery in the desire of professionals to see the training for their profession conducted in a university. As long as the university is hollowed in this way we're stuck with the near universal opinion that the best training you will receive for a profession is in a university and that to train elsewhere is second best. You're arguing actually reinforces this sort of prejudice.
    What we actually (imho) need is some sort of rational agreement that different paths of study are, well, different and that teaching them all the same location, and under the same broad regulations (not to mention mixing and matching) doesn't necessarily do justice to any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

so eh... easy electives then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I know its a tad OT but I was wondering if it is possible to do extra electives (i.e. more than 2) if you so wish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

depends on how many core modules you have to do but if it's less than 10, the number needed to make up 10 must be taken from within your degree ie. something from that school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I know its a tad OT but I was wondering if it is possible to do extra electives (i.e. more than 2) if you so wish?
    Or to answer more straight forward - if you have more then 12 modules (ie subjects) in the year and want to pick another then you'll have to pay for the pleasure

is there anything about doing an extra on one year, and one less the next???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

how much does an extra elective cost?

it's quite a bit as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Oooh, you just said 'it's simple logic' to a philosophy student. Tsk tsk. If you can prove your thesis deductively I will concede (and die of shock).
    [Ger Casey voice] all university subjects are things that impart information, some additional information is a thing that is education. therefore SUF and FID. all dogs are things that are nice animals. [/Ger Casey voice]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

griffdaddy wrote:
    [Ger Casey voice] all university subjects are things that impart information, some additional information is a thing that is education. therefore SUF and FID. all dogs are things that are nice animals. [/Ger Casey voice]

Damn it you have to love that formal logic.
    Introduction to Logic would be my pick for an easy elective actually, even easier if you're maths-y. With the added bonus that it should be useful for everyone (an awful lot of people could do with being more logical) and since it's sort of removed from the rest of the philosophy course elective taking back packers won't be too much of a drain on the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think its €400 but I could be well wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

try 850

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Animal husbandry and production is really only for vet students, it involves going out to the Research farm in Lyons one day a week and getting covered in all types of animal excrement....and alot of the stuff is covered elsewhere in the vet course and alot of prior knowledge is assumed, you have to make sure that one of your days in college is free cos you have to go to the farm on Tuesdays, you cannot pass the exam without going to the farm- all the exam questions are based on the experience you get on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Easy electives?

Food Science - 3 MCQ's easy peasy
    E-Business
    Information Management
    Comparitive Politics

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

*Bump*
    I think this is a very useful thread for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

Introduction to Logic would be my pick for an easy elective actually, even easier if you're maths-y.

If you're maths-y, try the various courses called Mathematical Logic. Same material, but more rigorous, or so I remember hearing from those arts math/phil types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Has anybody completed the module ARCT 100 80: Visual and Photographic Technique?

It's an architecture module. As an Art History student, I think it would be a really great module to do and the fact that I love photography helps. :D

Is it easy/difficult/worthwhile??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

*Bump*
    I think this is a very useful thread for this time of year.

Just in case I wasn't clear: IMO anyone who thinks this has no business being in college and certainly not on the taxpayer's dime.

If ever there were an argument for fees to be reinstated, this thread is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Ernie Ball wrote:

WRONG!
    I'm not going to bother giving my opinion on fees, because this is not the appropriate thread for the discusion.

This is a very useful thread for those of us who want to get some information on electives we are interested in before signing up for them.

You've made your point. Now get over it or start a seperate thread on the issue. Your continuous ranting is filling this thread with crap making it difficult to find relevant information.

Now, does anyone have any experience of ARCT 100 80?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Ernie Ball wrote:

Ah, yes, my view that one shouldn't be wasting one's time looking for 'easy' courses, that one should broaden one's horizons with Literature and Philosophy while one can, is just so 'narrow.' I see. So the 'broad minded' view says: study physiotherapy or marketing or some other such drivel more appropriate to an RTC or night classes and fill your electives with dozy tripe like Underwater Basket Weaving.

I'd say It would be very difficult to maintain a position as a luddite and attend Ucd given the use of blackboard to obtain lecture notes. So good luck to you on that account.

I think that you'll find that custodians of literature such as publishers and librarians are well versed in the use of "machines" as their courses incorporate I.T modules, do you look down on these professions?

Where can I sign up for the underwater basket weaving? :D

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Just in case I wasn't clear: IMO anyone who thinks this has no business being in college and certainly not on the taxpayer's dime.

What about if someone has a very specific interest in say, psychology or chemical engineering, and are forced to study modules outside of these fields in first year, should they not have the choice to get the irrelevant shít out of the way in as easy a fashion as possible by picking a module with a low workload?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'm going into BA Comp. Sci, and chose "Programming & Data Structures" and "Psychology Of Perception" as my electives. The first because it will give me more skill in my given field of study, the second because I'm really interested in the subject.

What's bothering me is that after taking 20 credits in Comp Sci., 20 in German and my 10 electives I have to choose another 10 credits in a subject I have zero interest in (I went for Linguistics.. nothing else caught my eye)

stolenwine wrote:
    I think that you'll find that custodians of literature such as publishers and librarians are well versed in the use of "machines" as their courses incorporate I.T modules, do you look down on these professions?

I am also well-versed in machines. It requires very little to become adept at them. But it is no substitute for being an educated person.
    griffdaddy wrote:
    What about if someone has a very specific interest in say, psychology or chemical engineering, and are forced to study modules outside of these fields in first year, should they not have the choice to get the irrelevant shít out of the way in as easy a fashion as possible by picking a module with a low workload?

So philosophy and literature are 'irrelevant ****'? Irrelevant to what? Not to being a full-fledged human being but I see you have no interest whatever in that.

By the by, anyone who thinks they are going to know anything worth knowing about psychology without also becoming highly philosophical is a fool.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    So philosophy and literature are 'irrelevant ****'? Irrelevant to what? Not to being a full-fledged human being but I see you have no interest whatever in that.
    no, anything that's used to 'pad-out' the courses that somebody is really interested is irrelevant shít. irrelevancy in that sense is subjective as it's at the discretion of the student as to how helpfull or relevent a module is to their main studies. Don't tell me i have no interest in Literature or Philosophy, they're actually my joint majors. I don't feel like anymore of a fully fledged human being though, and neither do i consider engineers or commerce students to be some kind of sub-human underclass who provide roads and bridges and businesses to accomodate my massive knowledge.

My point, put more eloquently than I could have:

click

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

gubbie wrote:
    I think its €400 but I could be well wrong

It depends on the school you're in. For example if you're doing a science related degree an extra module is 433.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lisa20

Study Methods..

Based on Attendance only, its a level 0.

Teaches you how to use the library resources.

Kinda boring though

You have to do a portfolio though...and some weird essays during the year. And you lose major marks if u miss lectures

Advertisement