Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting my pc quite

Options
  • 13-12-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok from after getting a 1900xtx of ebay for 250(what ya think good price or bad ??) and a areo x2 for it to keep my pc quite.i got 2 sythe 1200 fans but at 800rpm,tuinqi tower at lowest rpm speed should i change this ??,and 2 seagates and 1 raptor.

the pc is fairly quite but there just 1 loud noise coming from it and i think its the psu or raptor.just wondering whats the best way to get a hdd as quite as it can be ???

whats the best to see whats making the noise just pulg each fan out 1 by 1 and see ?????

should i change the fan from the tunqi???

lol i bad and doing everything that concerns english :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the raptor will definitely be loud, there are enclosures you can get to quieten them down but they bring up the heat too unfortunately. What you could do is suspend the hdd in the hdd cage using surgical rubber bands (don't know how else to describe them).

Another option could be to make some rubber grommets to go between the sides of the hdd cage and the hdd, this wouldn't be too hard to do seeing as you can take the hdd cage out of the mirage easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh its probably the raptor. You tried unplugging this and booting up to see if it is the psu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

For the raptor, my friend picked up a Zalman heat pipe cooler for harddrives and mounted his raptor in a 5 1/4 " bay.

(He got the cooler in peats, made a big difference to his noise levels, though he said himself the haddrive cage in his case was crap and mounting the raptor in a 5 1/4" bay was better as there was much less vibration)

Linky:http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=8035&sid=14&cid=122&scid=6522

What PSU do you have?

How many case fans do you have? What brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Use the HDD feature tool by Hitachi, don't believe them when they say it only works with their drives, i've used it on Seagates, Maxtors and WD's. You can use it to turn down the seek noise of your drive, this will also lower the access time of the drive, but not by noticeable levels imo. If you think your HDD is running too slow turn the seek noise up slightly until you get the balance right between acceptable noise and performance. Its the price you'll pay for a quieter PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Just saw this scythe hdd cooler, it could do the job for your raptor http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=517

• Advertisement
Advertisement