Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UEFA Cup last 32

Options
  • 14-12-2006 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Draw takes place on Friday chaps, a win/draw tonight sees us top the group and face a team placed 3rd in the UC Group stages, defeat leaves us 2nd in the group and facing a CL dropout.

Qualified so far:

Group winners

Parma
    Blackburn
    Espanyol
    Panathinikos
    Newcastle

2nd Place

Nancy
    Ajax
    PSG
    Celta Vigo

3rd Place

Fenerbache
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Zulte-Waregem
    Feyenoord

CL dropouts

Bremen
    Spartak Moscow
    Bordeaux
    Shaktar Donetsk
    Steuea Bucaresti
    Benfica
    CSKA Moscow
    AEK Athens

A number of slots still to be decided, but definitely through regardless are:

Maccabi Haifa
    Spurs
    Dinamo Bucharest
    AZ
    Sevilla

Some good sides in there, of the 3rd place sides Feyenoord stand out (for non-football reasons, they misbehaved last time they visited and I'd imagine they would seek to repeat that against us given our heritage, and their dislike of Ajax, Holland's "Jewish" club)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Nicely laid out there Ro ...

I'd be happy aslong as we don't get drawn against one of the russian clubs, its never easy to play over there .... apart from that i'm not unduly worried by any other team ... i reckon if we play to our full potential we will go all the way ..... we will only have ourselves to blame if we lose ....

So here's to tonights game .... another win and a draw against Feyenoord in the next round :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Sevilla are the obvious ones to avoid, and Espanyol will probably go far - they're also on a great run at the moment and have real quality in players like De La Peña, Tamudo, Garcia and Rufete to name a few. Apart from those two you only really have the Toon Army to fear ;)

Like i said we should go all the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Not much between the cl dropouts and the third placed teams imo. Not the end of the world if we dont win/draw tonight, although it would obviously be nice to top the group. Some bloody good teams in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

All done!

Group winners

Rangers
    Spurs
    AZ
    Parma
    Blackburn
    Espanyol
    Panathinikos
    Newcastle

2nd Place

Maccabi Haifa
    Dinamo Bucharest
    Sevilla
    Osasuna
    Nancy
    Ajax
    PSG
    Celta Vigo

3rd Place

Livorno
    Leverkusen
    Braga
    Lens
    Fenerbache
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Zulte-Waregem
    Feyenoord

CL dropouts

Bremen
    Spartak Moscow
    Bordeaux
    Shaktar Donetsk
    Steuea Bucaresti
    Benfica
    CSKA Moscow
    AEK Athens

Missed all of tonight's game due to the s*it hitting the fan in work, but we have got to be happy with tonight and the prospective last 32 opponents.

• Advertisement

If we avoid fernabache, feyenord and possibly Hapoel tel-aviv we should be Laughin. Although if we play like we did tonight for the rest of the comp we'll be laughin no matter who we get.:D

p.s. anyone know when the draw is?

Tomorrow around noon I think.

And if you fancy a trip away from home...

Livorno - Pisa nearest (Ryanair) or Bologna (Aer Lingus)
    Leverkusen - can't get them!
    Braga - Porto (Ryanair)
    Lens - Paris (Ryanair, AL, Air France) or Brussels (RYR, AL) (check this map for location)
    Fenerbache - Istanbul (Turkish Airlines)
    Hapoel Tel Aviv - emmm, Larnaca???
    Zulte-Waregem - Brussels (AL or RYR), they play their UC games in Ghent
    Feyenoord - Amsterdam (AL) or Eindhoven (RYR)

Thats all ex-Dublin.

ZULTE WAREGEM 8500 (but moved to 12,000 capacity Ghent)

HAIFA TEL AVIV 16500

LIVERNO 18000

BRAGA 30000

LENS 41000

FEYENOORD 51177

FENERBACHE 52500..

I'll take Lens please!

• Advertisement

Lens would be a good draw ..pretty close to get to and i guess most Spurs fans would use the channel Tunnel to go to the game rather than fly ...

Anyway, was at the game last night, pretty good crowd of 34,000 with about 500 Dinamo fans (mostly singing Argentina Argentina :D )

Anyway, We dominated the game and Dinamo offered a lot less than i thought they would. Berbatov and Defoe are looking like their getting their partnership together, and i thought that Zokora and Hudd played very well and didn't get bossed around the midfield.

All in all a good nights work.... here's to the next round

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Bell & Hare Yid

Feyenoord - not a great footballing side, should advance but it could be a rough one. At least there should be a decent allocation of away tickets. The scum will be in Eindhoven too, wonder is it the same week?

The scum will be in Eindhoven too, wonder is it the same week?

Week after.

Feyenoord will welcome us with open arms ;) , there's some bad blood from our last meeting in '92. They're not a great side, only scraped into the last 32 winning their very last game to leapfrog Wisla Krakow into 3rd. Nothing to fear on the pitch, off it...:D

We're only entitled to 5% of their capacity, which means 2500 tickets, though we might negotiate more.

I don't care, flights booked to Amsterdam 14-16 Feb, €107 all in. get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

73 & 84 games against them were blood-baths over there.
    Some of the worst football voilence in the history of the game.
    It's gonna be very lively over-there in Feb, lots of nutcases with scores to settle.

I think I'll watch it from the comfort my home.

Well there's talk of the game being played behind closed doors ...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=CWIDSNOJOJAU

F*ck it, two nights on the piss in Amsterdam punctuated by 90 minutes of a game on TV sounds about right. Worked for Amsterdam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 chalky76

73 & 84 games against them were blood-baths over there.
    Some of the worst football voilence in the history of the game.
    It's gonna be very lively over-there in Feb, lots of nutcases with scores to settle.

I think I'll watch it from the comfort my home.
    Indeed it made Billy Nick resign the managers hot seat.

Advertisement