Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First telescope

Options
  • 14-12-2006 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a starter telescope, I currently use binoculars and want to get something more substantial.

I realize from looking at some other posts in the forum that an 8-inch reflector seams to be the minimum starting point, but for spending around the €300 mark, what would anyone recommend.

Maybe this would just be throwing money away but I was looking at this Celestron 70EQ or the 114 reflector :

http://www.astronomy.ie/firstscope.html

What does anyone think of these telescopes? I live in a moderately light polluted area but transporting around an 8-inch reflector to an area free of light is not practical at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Those on a more modest budget can aim towards the 4-6 Inch

As you linked there that 114(4 1/2" approx) is €349, if you are willing to pay that may i suggest spending just under or around €400 on a Celestron C6-N as pictured here: http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?ProdID=41 with a nice astrophotograph included at the bottom taken with it;
    2005-06-13-01-54-04-M51_DDP.jpg
    by Chris Everaert

DATE TAKEN: 05/28/2005 at 12:30 am
    TELESCOPE: Celeston C6-N
    MOUNT: Equatorial
    CAMERA: Canon EOS 300D
    SOFTWARE: AstroArt 3.0
    EXPOSURE: 20 minutes

This is my first attempt with the C6N and Eos 300D. 30 images where stacked with exposure time 60 - 90 seconds, ISO 1600

It appears to be the Whirlpool Galaxy (Messier 51)

UK Price example; Advanced Series C6-N £249 = €371

Also you could try contacting Andromeda Optics on

Phone: 01-496 6866
    149 Upper Rathmines Road
    Rathmines
    Dublin

And North Down Telescopes contact details:
    Andy McCrea
    Phone: 028 91 273584

For a telescope you shouldnt settle on something thats just readily available to you, im sure astronomy ireland will be beaten on price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That image is amazing... I had no idea common telescopes had that good a resolution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Kevster wrote:
    That image is amazing... I had no idea common telescopes had that good a resolution.

its a Processed stack of 30 with Astroart

Latest version: http://www.msb-astroart.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Cheers for that guys, I'll check out the C-6 N.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I have a Firstscope 70 EQ. It is very good as a starter telescope.

Here are a few photos I've taken using it, which will give you an idea of what you can expect to see:

The Moon:
    FullMoon.jpg

Saturn:
    Saturns.jpg

Venus:
    Venuses.jpg

Jupiter:
    JupiterBands1.jpg

Lidl are doing a good deal from tomorrow, on the Meade ETX-70AT, as shown elsewhere in this forum. That might be a better option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement