Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping and unemployment

• 14-12-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

For the first time in over 10yrs I'm unemployed (by my own choice).
    I have noticed how it has changed my sleeping pattern.

My usual wake up time was anything from 5am-7:30am and go to bed sometime between 11pm-12:30am.

Now that I don't have to go to work, I get up about midday and when I go to bed at about midnight I usually watch crap night time tv until maybe 3am.

Just wondering if it is the same for those of you that are unemployed.

I was going to try and reset it back to normal, but I'm flying to Perth at the end of next week. Think there is four hour time difference, so no need to mess around with my body clock twice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I think it happens to all of us.
    I was unemployed at the beginning of the year and I LOVED not having to wake up and rush around.

It's a very good thing I didn't find boards.ie until I found my job or I really would have lost track of time!

You'll know when it is time to start setting yourself back on track.
    Once you start sending out resumes for jobs that you really want, you'll watch the clock a bit closer.

Amazingly, I went from sleeping in very late to waking up at 4:30 AM with little trouble! I like my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Love my sleep, and also love the piece and quite of the late night, so my unemployed sleeping pattern is usually something like 4am to 1/2pm.

Working now though and I've found it quite easy to adjust to a normal up-at-eight schedule. Though I do miss the longer sleep and, in particular, the extra hour or so just lying in bed having those morning time half-awake dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I plan on looking for work in the new year. Should be able to get back in the normal sleeping routine pretty easy.

A few days ago my parents called my to say hi. It was 6:30pm in Ireland, nice time to call someone on a regular day. The thing is they woke me up. It was 7:30am where I was and I was only in bed a few hours.

Dad asked was it bright outside, I told him it was. He said I didn't have any excuse then, should have been up :D

Yes, there's no sense job hunting right this moment. Things will open up with the new year. So you have time to adjust your sleep patterns.

Are you sure you're not still on Irish Time sleeping so late?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Lust4Life wrote:
    Are you sure you're not still on Irish Time sleeping so late?
    No, moved to Auckland early Nov. Just back from Perth today. Nearly two weeks of drinking, late nights and early mornings, early check out time sucks.
    Time to get myself back in to a some what decent sleeping pattern, and start looking for a job tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Best of luck on your search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

I found I was keeping the same hours when I was unemployed. When I got myself into gear and started looking for a job I would get up as if I was going to work at 9am. Up at 7 or 8, shower, get dressed and down to the computer for 9 and go job hunting online until 11. Then I'd head into the City Centre and go looking there and buy a paper or two. When I did find a job I was in perfect shape to cope with the mornings.

Best of luck finding a job! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Unemployed again - finished up my last job just before Christmas and gave myself a lengthy 'holiday'. You'd have been lucky to see me out of my bed before 6pm for the past couple of weeks - or, on the other hand, in bed before 6am.

Now I'm in the situation where I'm working on a [possibly money-making] project in my own time, which is a regular enough occurrence for me as I often do freelance web design work - so it's entirely up to myself what time I get out of bed in the morning/afternoon/evening.

So far 'so good' though. Got up at 9:30 this morning, showered, read the paper, switched on the computer and now it's only 1 o'clock and I feel I've already got quite a bit done.

Definitely something to be said about keeping regular hours regardless of necessity. When you get up at 6pm and are busy just getting your shít together until about 11, it doesn't leave too many options available for enjoying yourself afterwards.

Advertisement