Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

towing trailers

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anyone know the legalities of towing a twin axled braked trailer? In another post a person had difficulty insuring their 4x4 to tow twin axle trailers? I have a 20ft twin axle braked and have been told its fine to tow by my insurance co. yet nothing in writing?! IS it dependent on the insuring company or a law??

any idea's!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have basic 3rd party insurance on my 2nd car and have it in writing from AXA that I'm covered to tow a trailer as long as I'm compliant with the law

Basically AXA gave me a list saying exactly what I was and wasn't covered for which I thought was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your restricted on the DGV of the trailer you can tow without an EB license. I think it's 750kg, but others have argued thats it more. I'll leave it up to you to make your own mind up.

AFAIK you can get insurance for a small domestic trailer easy on your insurance, I have it, but for a twin axle trailer I'd say it could by your license that would cause the issue.

From Transport.ie

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836#Towing_a_Trailer
    Towing a Trailer

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

The holder of a driving licence in category C1, C, D1 or D may tow a trailer provided the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg. Categories EC1, EC, ED1 or ED (depending on the towing vehicle) must be held in order to tow trailers in excess of 750 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seems quite clear to me. You can tow a trailer with d.g.v.w >750 kg on an "B" as long as the d.g.v.w of the combination does not exceed 3500 kg and the trailer d.g.v.w does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicl.

But a 20 foot long twin axle trailer is likely to exceed the above weights - unless it's something big and light like a boat trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Yeah its a boat trailer. I rang insurance co and as stated its weight dependent. So i'm sorted.

thanks folks.

Advertisement