Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Broadband wireless/ethernet

• 14-12-2006 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there,

I just wanted to double check something. I ordered bb from Eircom with the free Netopia wifi modem / router. Before I knew it I had also ordered the Netopia 3D Wireless Adapter.

Now I'm thinking that was very stupid, I can use the ethernet connection and just intall an ethernet port on my pc (it ain't going anywhere). Before I cancelled the adapter I thought I'd double check.

Also for a laptop is NETOPIA WIFI LAPTOP CARD PCMCIA - WIRELESS G! (http://cgi.ebay.com/NETOPIA-WIFI-LAPTOP-CARD-PCMCIA-WIRELESS-G-FREE-SH_W0QQitemZ110062215018QQcmdZViewItem)
    compatible with the eircom router?

cheers gs

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can connect the Netopia router to your PC via ethernet, obviously if you have a laptop a wireless connection might be more useful.

In relation to the wireless card mentioned, yes it will work as will any other wireless card you can purchase :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

Hi,

Ta for that info, would you have a preference for a compact USB wireless receiver, one with an entennae or a wireless Card for a laptop?

cheers gs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You sure your laptop doesn't already have wireless? The majority bought in the last 2 years or so will have it.

Personally, I'd go for the PCMCIA card otherwise. USBs stick out too much and are likely to break, the PCMCIA goes mostly inside the laptop. I've never seen a laptop card with an antanna before though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

snappieT wrote:
    You sure your laptop doesn't already have wireless? The majority bought in the last 2 years or so will have it.

Personally, I'd go for the PCMCIA card otherwise. USBs stick out too much and are likely to break, the PCMCIA goes mostly inside the laptop. I've never seen a laptop card with an antanna before though.

There are such things and I see one daily. With an external antenna, permanently built in, it reaches the breakneck speeds of..... 14.4kbps :eek: It is like this but that one doesn't have the antenna. The antenna is about 4 or 5" long. Works on some sort of ancient mobile packet technology with Vodafone and is like a mobile based dial-up service as you can hear it dialing up a Dublin 01 number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 goreysquirrel

Thanks again guys, the laptop is almost 3 years old so no wireless card. Will go with the PCMCIA card. Cheers gs

• Advertisement
Advertisement