Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i find out when Vodafone plans to go 3g?

Options
  • 14-12-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

I have been with vodafone for a few months now, i have a massive mast in line of sight, all the mobile have coverage on it, including 3G. Is there some where i can find out when vodaphone plan to upgrade it? Calling them always seems to be a chore, and they really dont know what they are talking about half the time, unless you live in dublin of course.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if near a MAJOR national road or close (3 miles) to one of the top 10 towns in the country then maybe, otherwise you will wait years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Well that is a pain in the bum!!!

I need broadband, or some form of it to run my business efficiently, i dont wat to move into a town/city thanks..........i moved to ireland to get away from that!

I have been thinking about a Sat connection to go with my Voda data card.......i want to do this as a last resort though!

i have a sneaky suspicion that Eircom have FWA on the same mast that i refered to in my first post, i say this because there is a school near me, there was a lot of digging along the side of the road and big boxes installed at the side of the road. one big White/gray one (may have lights or reflectors on it?), a smaller silver one, and a smaller one again, silver in colour too.

These are right next to a telephone pole which has what looks like a omni antenna on it as well as two circular dome things, you see them on masts all the time (sorry for the bad description) I can take some Photos if it will be of any help?

I also spoke to an Eircom engineer last week who informed me that a "mini exchange" was put in because the system or lines were so bad. He wouldnt really tell me anymore than that, or didnt know anymore.

Any ideas?

cheers

read the " Retail " thread here so

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

you could be right , about a 75-85%% probability if its a big red and white mast .

Red and white mast............i assume you mean the big mast and not where the omni antenna is?

Also how do i get eircom to tell me it is FWA (if thats what it is) and then how do i get them to "let" me use it? god its like they would be doing me a favour, when in fact im the customer!

i have been looking out for the FWA masts on the sides of houses but have yet to see one.

Is it possible to connect to the internet through a copper line that feeds to a mini exchange that in turn connects to a main exchange via FWA? thus cutting out the need for houses to put up Fwa masts?

ah phew what a question :( , its been possible for years and years but was it done and if not why not ????

ring the FWA section on 1890 457 048 and tell them the name of the mountain with the mast and wassup

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob just in relation to your point about 3g coverage, i have been reading about terms of the 3G mobile licence agreement, it has a regulatory requirement of having 85 percent population coverage by the end of 2007, now i know its population coverage but that % seems quite high to just be covering major towns...........?

Guess i can only ring vodafone and try to find out.

Advertisement