Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in January

Options
  • 14-12-2006 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

This is the first year ill have a decent bit of money to splash out in January. I can't remember what its been like in years past but am wondering what kind of deals is there to expect?? 50% off? and the like?? I wonder.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yerra no! :eek: , you sound like someone who believes that Next have a sale in January and do not bring in special tat for it :D . Do not lose the head if you see the word "sale" and you might have a bit of money at the end of January as WELL as stuff you want .

Otherwise you are but a lamb to the slaughter I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I don't understand anything in your post really. Sorry SB!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

it depends what you're after.

I think SpongeBon may be referring to people's habit of buying stuff cos it's on sale rather than cos they really want it.

Post christmas, you won't have as much of a choice (for obvious reasons). And alot of shops only heavily discount the **** that nobody wanted (which is usually for a good reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭arch20000

Sponge bob..he speaketh the truth.

Most shops just break out the old tat for the chrsitmas sales.

Some big shops like Arnotts and their ilk though do have genuine discounts but only usually on end of line products like shoes and trainers that are about to launch new ranges. Still though, there is great discounts in the homewares.

John Taylors on baggot street always have good discounts on suits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

junii wrote:
    I don't understand anything in your post really. Sorry SB!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

junii- you might want to specify what sort of thing you are after! Clothes-wise you have a great advantage in being male. You can get genuine 50% and even 75% off reductions waltzing in on the third week of the sale while the poor women queue up outside on the first day (or indeed "pre-sale") for a measly 10-20% off! Brown Thomas can be particularly good IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

quad_red wrote:
    I think SpongeBon may be referring to people's habit of buying stuff cos it's on sale rather than cos they really want it.

different strokes for different folks. Take cornflakes as an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Here's my 2 cents worth on "sales"

I've been keeping an eye on prices for a particular LCD TV and a range cooker in DID. Both had been priced at €1,500 and €2,800 in November but the price on both increased by €300 each at the start of December. I'd bet anything that they will be advertised "on sale" after christmas at the old prices.

The price of toys in Smyths also increased in December over the advertised prices in November. These too will probably be advertised as being on sale at the old prices after christmas.

Always remember that this is rip off Ireland and you are not allowed to save money. The customs people have even started to crack down on the cheap dvds, cds and games from the likes of PLAY.com and CD.WOW. You now have to pay the VAT and a €5 handling charge on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The price of toys in Smyths also increased in December over the advertised prices in November. These too will probably be advertised as being on sale at the old prices after christmas.
    Funny, I was in there the other day buying stuff for the nephews and several items were reduced - €5-10 off the catalogue price. One of them was Power Rangers and another was Transformers so it's not just unpopular stuff.
    The customs people have even started to crack down on the cheap dvds, cds and games from the likes of PLAY.com and CD.WOW. You now have to pay the VAT and a €5 handling charge on them.
    Only if the value of the package is over a certain amount (€22 I believe) which is why CD-WOW send each disc you order separately

These are packages coming from outside the EU so duties and VAT apply. This is down to EU rules not Irish legislation.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ninja900 wrote:

Only if the value of the package is over a certain amount (€22 I believe) which is why CD-WOW send each disc you order separately

These are packages coming from outside the EU so duties and VAT apply. This is down to EU rules not Irish legislation.

Interesting. I just bought a game on a UK website (but delivered from outside the EU) for GBP18.99 inc del. The box is stamped GBP14. I was wondering why, but that would put it just under the 22 euro limit.

[edit] Ignore that - checked and Switzerland have a free trade agreement with the EU, so there'd be no VAT involved

Advertisement