Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government encourage and reward inefficiency - BUPA confirm they are pulling out

Options
  • 14-12-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Well BUPA have just announced that they are pulling out of the Irish Market, so much for Mary Harney and her ethos of "shopping around" looks like our choices have been dimished even more by this backward and insular government. It is obvious that the VHI is a wasteful and bloated organisation yet they allow them to get increases year on year without any real return in productivity increases.
    BUPA to pull out of Irish market over risk equalisation

The health insurance firm BUPA has announced that it is pulling out of the Irish market.

In a statement on its website, the company says it has no choice but to make the decision and is doing so with great regret.

BUPA had warned that it would leave the Ireland market after the High Court's recent decision to uphold the risk equalisation scheme.

The ruling meant BUPA would have had to pay compensation to the state-owned VHI because of its younger client base.

The company claimed the move would force it to hand over €161m to its rival, even though its profits would be just €64m.

Its decision to quit the market leaves the field open for Vivas to target BUPA’s 15% market share, totally around 500,000 customers.

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=35&si=102930

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I work in insurance and couldn't believe it when I heard about risk equalisation. It would be like every other general insurer being forced to compensate Quinn for having large numbers of young drivers on their books. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A totally disgrace, 400 jobs gone as well. This Government is really starting to cheese me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I work in insurance and couldn't believe it when I heard about risk equalisation. It would be like every other general insurer being forced to compensate Quinn for having large numbers of young drivers on their books. Ridiculous.
    Or it would be like forcing every insurer to charge everyone the same amount for car insurance, regardless of a person's age.

Risk equalisation in health is a joke. When you get older, you should be paying more health insurance, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

You just beat me to it ;)

I'm sure i'm not the only one who saw this happening. I have to say her decision was absolutely stupid. Further to that the subs will keep any other health insurance companies out of the country as the competition (or lack there of) isn't fairly fixed.

Heard Harney on the radio saying how dissapointed she was and how important the subs are to our own system. This was a case of not admitting your mistakes nor making any effort to keep BUPA in the market. It looks like some sort of communism system put in place between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm sure VHI will be adding 10% to whatever increase they had planned this year in celebration. If we are going to have risk equalisation in optional health insurance where the young subsidise the old, I would expect for fairness sake that we would have it in car insurance as well.

• Advertisement

Well it was obvious that this was going to happen.
    A commercial company wasnt going to stay in the Irish market to sustain losses as a result of [STRIKE]profit sharing[/STRIKE] Risk equalisation.

Are FG/LAB supportive of this policy by the way? If they are,theres no point bashing the government about it-other than pointing out the pd's clear hypocrisy being a supposedly party of business.

How is Risk equalisation getting past the competition authority by the way? The EU one or the Dublin one?

Or is it an animal farm competition authority that we have here where some competition is more equal than other competition?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

seamus wrote:
    Or it would be like forcing every insurer to charge everyone the same amount for car insurance, regardless of a person's age.

Risk equalisation in health is a joke. When you get older, you should be paying more health insurance, simple as.

Indeed, and if I, as a 21 year old male, am forced to pay through the nose for car insurance based on the fact that I'm both young and male then I don't see this as being any different a matter.

Of course, no one likes the idea of old people having to pay more just to ensure their good health (because God knows they can't rely on public healthcare to help them), but it's as much a fact of life as the above example and if they want to solve these problems they should do it all at once, or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

We either have community rating, which inevitably involves risk equalisation or we go to a health insurance system that you can afford until you get sick (and that is regardless of age). BUPA are leaving because they aren't doing as well as they thought they would - this just gives them a convenient cover.

btw VHI/ VIVAS/ BUPA was going up anyway - Cowen increased charges for Private Beds as one of the stealth taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Macy wrote:
    We either have community rating, which inevitably involves risk equalisation

Why "inevitably"? In a balanced market, the spread of risk would be across all players in which case RE isn't necessary at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Btw does anyone know what the EU competition authority has to say on this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Calina wrote:
    Why "inevitably"? In a balanced market, the spread of risk would be across all players in which case RE isn't necessary at all.
    Because it isn't a balanced market. None of the companies offer full cover with immediate effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

when I moved over, my brother in law gave me some advice, he said

"If something is done by a commercial company, it is generally done well. If a government body gets involved, they generally **** up."

another case to prove him right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Risk equalisation in principle is a good idea. It ensures that companies don't fill their books with low risk clients and thus generate substantial profits from it. With the VHI being the only company for many years they accepted all and sundry and so have a much wider base of risk. That notwithstanding they don't operate as a commercial company.

Incidentally once people go over 65 and want to get health insurance for the first they have to wait for two years on average whilst still paying the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

gandalf wrote:
    It is obvious that the VHI is a wasteful and bloated organisation yet they allow them to get increases year on year without any real return in productivity increases.

It may be "obvious" but why then are their operating costs within international norms within the health insurance sector (at abt 7.5%, I think)?

Risk equalisation may work where you have equal competition. Instead what you have is one bloated semi state which is supported by the government, and a private competitor who is forced to subsidise them. It's nuts, and we're all going to have to pay more in the future to keep the unions in the VHI happy. This country is going backwards, thank goodness house prices aren't falling..oh wait.

hmmm wrote:
    . Instead what you have is one bloated semi state which is supported by the government,.

In what way is the VHI bloated? Figures please.

jd wrote:
    In what way is the VHI bloated? Figures please.
    hah! an easy answer, you've obviously never dealt with the VHI.
    The conventional wisdom that VHI has a much older membership than BUPA Ireland and that BUPA Ireland thus owes VHI large amounts of compensation for this age gap is not supported by the evidence. The average age difference is small at 6 years and in a range over which health expenditures are more likely to decline than rise with age. Based on the YHEC data ,risk equalisation would require VHI with an average age of 44 in its membership would be required to compensate BUPA Ireland for the higher health expenditures incurred by its average membership age of 38 because of the higher health expenditures of women at age 38 than at age 44.

From "Risk Equalisation and Competition in the Irish health insurance market" from TCD.

Get back to me if you need any of the big words explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

hmmm wrote:
    hah! an easy answer, you've obviously never dealt with the VHI.

From "Risk Equalisation and Competition in the Irish health insurance market" from TCD.

Ah yes the beauty of statistics. IMO you need to compare like with like. VHI has 76% of the market and consequently a considerably higher number of "older" subscribers.

hmmm wrote:

Absolutely way out of line .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So now we have a public health service that can't afford to treat the public, and a private health service that only the well-off can afford (€500/year for health insurance is a lot of money to most people).

Nice work Mary.

daveirl wrote:

Any indication guiven of the perecentage of the client base on different schemes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Guys, have a look at the letter from TCD that hmmm linked above. It says that the average age for BUPA subs is 38 and 44 for VHI. Considering the critical mass VHI has with over 3/4 of the market, this age difference should be neglibible, unless the incompetence in VHI is ingrained.

I am (or was) a BUPA subscriber and wrote to Mary f***ing Harney earlier this year protesting against those plans. I got a response that they were putting it on hold for the time being.

I am having difficulty to express the anger and frustration this extreme example of incompetence makes me feel.

Yesterday I read an article about the World Economic Forum's rating of the most dynamic economies in Europe. We don't even appear in the top 10. This news should bring us all the way to the bottom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6174573.stm

Please, please bring the elections forward. I really need to vote!!!

Just in case, I am posting the executive summary of the report by Dr Sean D. Barrett, Department of Economics,Trinity College.

(A) EXECUTIVE SUMMARY.

The analysis contained in the YHEC report indicates that the report did not consider adequately the role of competition in the market for health insurance. This is a major weakness and appears in part to be due to a late deletion of competition from the report’s final research brief by the HIA.(p.90)
    The evidence on the average age of BUPA Ireland members, 38 years and VHI members, 44 years provides no basis for transfers from BUPA Ireland to VHI. In the case of females between 38 and 44 years health expenditures decline with extra years.
    The regressiveness of the transfers and cross subsidies in Irish health insurance under community rating is illustrated by the internal transfers from low cost profitable Plans A and B within VHI to high cost loss making Plans C, D and E. Under the proposed transfer of €34m a year from BUPA Ireland to VHI a low cost BUPA essential health insurance cover with a premium of €272.39 would be levied to cross subsidise VHI Plan E costing €1,316.33 per adult. The price of the most expensive subsidised product under the HIA proposal is 4.8 times the price of the product to be levied in order to finance the cross subsidisation. The average BUPA premium was €327 while the average VHI premium was €435. The price of the average product to be subsidised is therefore 33% greater than the price of the average product to be levied to finance the cross subsidisation. CSO data confirms that expenditure on health insurance rises over all ten income deciles. Incomes in the top decile are 10.1 times those in the bottom decile but health insurance expenditure is 22.9 times greater.
    Section C of this report deals with the HIA letter to BUPA Ireland requiring the equalisation payment of €34m annually from BUPA Ireland for transfer to VHI which had operating profits of €73.3m (before unexpired risk reserve) in their accounts to February 2004. The HIA presents no analysis of the rationale for the payment. It mistakenly asserts that consumers as a whole will be better off from levying one firm in order to cross-subsidise another. It asserts without evidence that the payments required are significant, rising, likely to rise further in the absence of risk equalisation and that in their absence the stability of the industry will be threatened. While there is recognition of possible withdrawal from BUPA Ireland of some younger members because of the price rise in order to finance payments to VHI there is no recognition in the letter of the benefits of competition to health insurance consumers.
    Section D examines the competition issues neglected by both YHEC and HIA and the benefits foregone by the anti-competitive levies imposed on BUPA. The Irish health service is characterised by high costs and rent-seeking by producers which are extreme by EU standards. The scope for immediate cost savings and further future leveraged savings in a high cost health service is therefore large but these benefits are foregone by regulators adopting the anticompetitive levies recommended by the regulator in this sector.

While I disagree with the whole idea of BUPA being made to pay VHI, I think this is only spitting the dummy stuff. BUPA have sufficient assets to render the payment negligible to them. As Macy said, guess they weren't making the profits they thought they would and this is their excuse...

While I disagree with the whole idea of BUPA being made to pay VHI, I think this is only spitting the dummy stuff. BUPA have sufficient assets to render the payment negligible to them. As Macy said, guess they weren't making the profits they thought they would and this is their excuse...

From BUPA's website:
    BUPA Ireland is a not-for-profit organisation, which means that any profits made are reinvested into healthcare for the benefit of all our members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

is_that_so wrote:
    Ah yes the beauty of statistics. IMO you need to compare like with like. VHI has 76% of the market and consequently a considerably higher number of "older" subscribers.

But that doesn't take the following into account:
    1. VHI has had about 30+ years to build up its customer base, whereas BUPA has had only 10
    2. VHI are still at a competitive advantage as being the "first one in" in the lucrative corporate market where employers pay for their employees cover (frequently without offering the employee a choice of insurers) - though BUPA have aggressively pursued this market in recent years with a high degree of success
    3. And lastly, but I think this is key - an awful lot of older people were "trapped" with VHI since they had established relationships with consultants who were "VHI-only" - there is no obligation on a consultant or doctor to accept payments from BUPA/Vivas so effectively this prevents many (especially older) VHI clients from transferring to BUPA/Vivas.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of bills, eg outpatients, are settled at the end of the cover year, which means you have to transfer to the new insurer after this is sorted out.

The big problem with risk equalisation is that it tried to solve one problem without tackling fundamentally anti-competitive processes at play in the market - for example, the issue I raised above. It also failed to take into account the regulatory differences between the different companies which has led to a situation in recent years where VHI not only still hold onto 80% of the market, but also still make much higher profits than the competition, yet could still require cross subsidies.

The problem really is that the government policies have led to a conflict between competition and risk equalisation, and really much more should have been done to level the playing field.

I believe the EU Competition Bodies have taken an interest and may be initiating proceedings against Ireland as a result of this. My worry will be now if VHI manage to also push Vivas out of the market - which now is a real possibility if Vivas fail to get a good percentage of BUPA's residual customer base.

Again the problem here will be just like the eircom/Smart debacle. It was rumoured that eircom hired an extra 500 sales staff on the day they pulled the plug on eircom to poach back its customer base. And I suspect that the VHI will likely do the same thing, especially with the corporate paid-insurance market.

The real victims here though, are the 300 people who are going to be out of a job within 12 months. Fermoy is not a rich place and 300 jobs (many of which were good jobs) will be badly missed there.

Finally why has nobody mentioned the fact that VHI make a loss on the high-end plans (c, D and E) which are cross subsidised by lower income customers on plans A and B? Effectively BUPA was being asked to help subsidise these (usually) high income customers despite having a largely lower income customer base (judging by the quite low takeup of their Healthmanager Gold product). Risk equalisation ignored quite a number of factors at play in the industry. Now Ahern, Harney and her mafia have got exactly what they deserver.

Zynks wrote:
    From BUPA's website:
    BUPA Ireland is a not-for-profit organisation,

Sure they should have registered as a charity,that'swhere they went wrong.

Anyway, the lesson to be learned is, put FF back in as a single party government with an overall majority...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What Conor the same FF that let this happen on their watch :rolleyes:

Advertisement