Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband & 2 phone sockets; Help Please

Options
  • 14-12-2006 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello,

I have just installed broadband and have the following problem;

I have 2 phone sockets, original one in hall, the other in computer room which I fitted myself by splitting the line up in the attic. I connected the broadband modem/router as per instructions, fitting ASDL microfilters to each socket. When I powered up the modem there was no DSL signal light on the modem. After some trial and error I have discovered the following;

If I unplug the phone line in the hall and remove the filter in the computer room the connection works fine. If I now fit the filter in the computer room the DSL light immediately goes out. When I remove the filter and reestablish connection if I then plug the phone line back in the hall ( with no filters) the DSL light again goes out.
    In summary, the only way I can get a connection is when I have just one socket connected with no ASDL microfilter fitted.

Would appreciate any advice please

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Westie123 wrote:
    Hello,

I have just installed broadband and have the following problem;

I have 2 phone sockets, original one in hall, the other in computer room which I fitted myself by splitting the line up in the attic. I connected the broadband modem/router as per instructions, fitting ASDL microfilters to each socket. When I powered up the modem there was no DSL signal light on the modem. After some trial and error I have discovered the following;

If I unplug the phone line in the hall and remove the filter in the computer room the connection works fine. If I now fit the filter in the computer room the DSL light immediately goes out. When I remove the filter and reestablish connection if I then plug the phone line back in the hall ( with no filters) the DSL light again goes out.
    In summary, the only way I can get a connection is when I have just one socket connected with no ASDL microfilter fitted.

Would appreciate any advice please

Thanks.

Tried having your phone on the same filter as the modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Westie123 wrote:
    If I unplug the phone line in the hall and remove the filter in the computer room the connection works fine. If I now fit the filter in the computer room the DSL light immediately goes out.
    I think that's the significant bit.
    You should have single-port filters on all phones (and faxes, Sky boxes etc) but the DSL modem has to be connected to the port marked DSL or MODEM on a twin-port filter.
    If you connect it to the phone port of a twin-port filter, or to a single port filter, the DSL signal is filtered out, as those ports are intended for connecting a phone to.

You should have got one dual-port filter and 2 or 3 single-port ones with your DSL modem. If not, ask your ISP or get some yourself for a few euro.
    When I remove the filter and reestablish connection if I then plug the phone line back in the hall ( with no filters) the DSL light again goes out.
    You need a single-port filter on the phone line. Some phones especially cordless can interfere with the broadband if not filtered, though usually only when the phone rings
    There could be a wiring fault of course too.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement