Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City Sale - Real or Mistake

Options
  • 14-12-2006 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I've been tracking an LCD TV for a couple of weeks. It's cheaper to get it online, but I want to buy it from an Irish Bricks and Mortar store in case there is a problem and I have somewhere to go back to.

So I've been haunting the PowerCity and DID Electrical web sites watching prices...

The TV (Samsung LE32R72B) was 1199 in Did, and dropped to 1159 last week. Am hopeful it will drop lower in January.

On Powercity.ie, the TV was 1149.99, and this morning dropped to 1105.99, with a big "SALE NOW ON" header on the TV Details page.

Was seriously tempted to jump at this price, as it may not drop much lower in the Jan Sales. So I just checked back on powercity.ie, and the price is back up to 1149.99, but the sale sign is still up!!!

Anyone know if Power City are actually launching a pre-christmas sale, or if this is a series of web site mistakes? -- Maybe a preview of the Jan prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

TBH i wouldnt buy anything in Powercity, i have had a few bad experiences with bringing stuff back to them and have learned my lesson!! Their customer service stinks, u cant get thru to them on the phone, and even when legally they are obliged to give you a refund they wont - hense i had to threaten court action.
    On the other hand, i bought a flat screen from DID, it went bust, i was told to go down and pick out a brand new one, no problems.
    I bought my flat screen about a week before crimbo in DID, hoping it wouldnt go down further (the sale was on) and it never did go down, so i would say go and buy it now if u want it for over the crimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

avoid powercity, their customer service stinks and like mel123 said go to DID they are much more professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Agree totally with the guys above - stay well away from Powercity. Their customer service is a joke, their sales staff know damn all about the items they're selling and if you have to bring something back, you'll do well to get a refund short of threathening court action.

Harvey Normans may appear to be a more upmarket outfit but their sales staff are also poor becuase they are rotated around the different sections each day - electrical Mondays, Beds Tuesdays, Furniture Wednesdays etc. (I've a mate who works there, thats how I know)

I have to admit that I buy most of my electrical gear in DID. They usually have the latest models and the staff know their stuff. You could go to to some of the dedicated TV only sales shops but you'll pay more for their more in-depth knowledge.

The only gripe I'd have with them is that they put up the price of the tv I wanted recently:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If DID still promise to match prices, then go to Powercity and get a quote for the LCD TV. Head off to DID and they should match it. A year or two back they'd give double the difference!!

Advertisement