Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronny concedes match half way thru

• 14-12-2006 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

Ronnie was playin hendry it was 4-1 too hendry, the balls werent going to well for ronnie, hendry was having a great game. ronnie played a shot it didnt work out walked up to stephen and shook his hand and said he had enough and walked out of the arena with everyone just wonderin wtf.

personally with the last few years i think ronnie's attitude has been terrible and he has said some stupid things, he is always for the controversy, no respect for the game. good player but talent is wasted on him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know whether to critisise Ronnie really. On one hand I think he's like a child when he's losing but on the other hand I think it's not his fault his head is so messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yep, flawed genius. Great player but a bit of a dick. A few years ago he was in the irish tournament in citywest and he said on live tv that he'd "rather be anywhere than here playing snooker". Went out of the tournament soon after. We had tickets for the final which turned out to be a less than thrilling affair between ebdon and Mark King. Crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ah he's a fúckin crackpot! What a ridiculous thing to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He might be messed up but he's still probably the best player I've ever seen play the sport. Absolute genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

In fairness, he suffers from serious depression. I don't think he sets out to do these things, tbh. My guess is that he'll announce his retirement in the next few hours... and then return to walk all over everybody and win the World Championship next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He might be messed up but he's still probably the best player I've ever seen play the sport. Absolute genius.

I don't buy that really. He's blows hot & cold, isnt a brilliant tactician, but gets a lot of recognition for his break building which is really just the 'showy' element of snooker.
    Hendry and Higgins are better all around players at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

when everything goes ronnie's way he wont be beaten, but if things go wrong for him he wouldnt even be in my top 3. i think he is a troubled soul, but theres no need for that carry on, alot op people came from far away to see those 2 playing and now the snooker croud have to refund all there tickets. if he hates the game that much he definetly should give it up. it seems to me that its just making him more and more depressed, id say he should start concentrating on his ladies knickers businesses

Ray777 wrote:
    In fairness, he suffers from serious depression. I don't think he sets out to do these things, tbh. My guess is that he'll announce his retirement in the next few hours... and then return to walk all over everybody and win the World Championship next year.

He has said he had a bad day at the office and apologised to the fans, as well as saying he'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

It's bad enough to suffer depression but to suffer it while having to play snooker in front millions of people - poor bastard. :(

• Advertisement

Has anyone read his autobiography? Might have a look for it in Borders later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

paul666 wrote:
    if he hates the game that much he definetly should give it up. it seems to me that its just making him more and more depressed, id say he should start concentrating on his ladies knickers businesses
    You can bet that the Snooker Governing body would not be too happy if he came to that decision. Ronnie puts bums on seats and generates excitement wherever he plays. Not many others in the game today who can do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

while what he did wasn't on I can understand his actions , Ronnie needs to take a year break from the tour and recharge the batteries / get his head in a much better place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Yep I agree - he needs to take time out and get his head together. Its an awful pity really as he the best snooker player I have ever seen.

I know this is a snooker forum but just shows what a sportsman Phil Taylor is if he can keep coming back and have the determination to win the Darts World C/ship. He is going for his 14th world title this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Ronnie has the talent but not the tempermant for snooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Ronnie is without doubt the most naturally gifted player the game has ever seen.
    Puts Alex Higgins to shame in terms of talent but hes got a self destructive personality.
    I've read his authobiography and its probably the most honest account of a person life i've ever read.
    He's suffering from a serious disease and people should take this into account when making assumptions about his actions in tournaments and interviews.
    Just watch that 147 in less than 5 minutes and you'll realise that there is'nt ever gonna be anyone to touch him.
    Its a real shame but I think players that are that much more talented than there fellow pros will allways have flaws.
    Pity really, c'mon ronnie get your head together.

Arthurdaly wrote:
    Just watch that 147 in less than 5 minutes and you'll realise that there is'nt ever gonna be anyone to touch him.

There's a lot more to snooker than banging in 36 relatively easy pots in quick succession. He's going 14 years now, and has won the big one only twice. Hendry at the same point had won it 7 times. I don't think he's anything like the greatest ever. Entertaining yes, great...not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

O'Sullivan is gifted but will never be as good as Hendry.

O'Sullivan is gifted but will never be as good as Hendry was

hendry was the best for many years but he doesnt cut it now his temperment seems to have faded

• Advertisement

paul666 wrote:
    O'Sullivan is gifted but will never be as good as Hendry was

hendry was the best for many years but he doesnt cut it now his temperment seems to have faded

He's world number 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

He's number one due to the rubbish world ranking system, provisionally he's number 7 and will never be on top of the pile again.
    Ronnie has accrued the most ranking points this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ronnie is the only player i can watch anymore. I used to love the sport but most of the players are just dull. Paul Hunter R.I.P. was the only other entertainer in the game in recent years.

redzerdrog wrote:
    ronnie is the only player i can watch anymore. I used to love the sport but most of the players are just dull. Paul Hunter R.I.P. was the only other entertainer in the game in recent years.

Very true, I really didn't like him, but at least he had something about him. In fairness there are others; Ebdon with has crazy intensity, Neil Robertson might be a bit of fun. Dominic Dale is funny!
    I think the standard is so high now that nothing but total focus will cut it. Thats why the likes of Quentin Haan cant make it.
    Masters this week. Yaay. I wonder if Ronnie will be back? Knowing him he'll come back and win it left handed.

we might have dull players, but when u watch a game and see players like stephen hendry not been able to pot a straight forward pot because he has lost his action and players like ronny o sullivan who walk out in the midle of a tournament. then u can get games where one player gets so nervous that he is crap and then his opponent starts missing simple shots. the psychology of the game is what makes it interesting to me

Advertisement