Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Connecting Win NT to Win 2000 server domain

Options
  • 14-12-2006 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just wondering if anybody can help with this problem. Im trying to connect a machine running Win Nt to a Win 2000 server domain. I keep getting the error 'The Domin Controller for this Domain cannot be located". I'm pretty sure all the TCP/IP settings are correct as i have compared them to another machine. Connectivity is not the problem as i can ping the domain and map a network drive. I'd appreciate if anybody can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Doesn't NT need WINS or at least LMHOST entires, can't do it with just DNS

also isn't there a thing about upgrading the Windows 2000 domain that locks NT out, can't remember the option but it's in AD and like many microsoft buttons only works one way, you can't downgrade the 2000 domain back to talking with NT again.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    "mixed mode"
    oh that's the thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 djomen

there are already win nt accounts on the domain.ive looked at the wins and tried the lmhost files aswell but still no joy with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it a "mixed mode" 2000 domain or a pure 2000 domain , NT machines and users ....separately, can join a mixed mode domain but only the users (IIRC) can go to 2000 domains not the machines ??

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Sponge Bob wrote:
    is it a "mixed mode" 2000 domain or a pure 2000 domain , NT machines and users ....separately, can join a mixed mode domain but only the users (IIRC) can go to 2000 domains not the machines ??

Mixed mode refers to the domain controllers i.e. you can have NT and 2000 domain controllers in mixed mode. In native mode you can only have win2k domain controllers. Native mode supports NT4 member servers / workstations.

Check the wins setting on a NT workstation or Server that is a domain member and is working properly and confirm that this is set on the machine you are trying to join.

Also don't forget when you create the computer account, I think you have to set it to allow everyone to use it to work in NT.

Advertisement