Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creme de la Mer - Whether and where

• 14-12-2006 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

So, first off, is it worth it?

Secondly, is Brown Thomas the only place you can get it? Had a look in there this afternoon and priced a "Beginner's Set" at 255, which is... not cheap. Anywhere else in town or even online? I have a strong preference for getting my hands on it before the end of the weekend, though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

At the risk of sounding like my dad, do you really want to spend that much on a moisturiser? Clarins and Clinique both do really excellent cleansers and moisturisers for a fraction of the price.

Afaik, BT is the only place that does it, but could be worth checking the House of Fraser in Dundrum.

Also ebay is selling loads of Creme de la Mer stuff here with prices starting around €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's snake oil imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OP - I suspect you were listening to Newstalk 106 today.

Preparation H is your only man (or shark) for skin-disorders of any type.

All else is Snake Oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Vok wrote:
    So, first off, is it worth it?
    From what I've heard its not. Its meant to be very oily and comedogenic [blocks pores] so its not great for problem skin/mature skin. I think there was another thread here before where people have rated/slated it.
    Secondly, is Brown Thomas the only place you can get it? Had a look in there this afternoon and priced a "Beginner's Set" at 255, which is... not cheap. Anywhere else in town or even online? I have a strong preference for getting my hands on it before the end of the weekend, though.
    I really think BT is the only Irish stockist but I'm not 100%. If you're getting it online cheaper its very much likely to not be the real deal. If the price looks too good to be true it probably is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

I tried it a couple of years ago and didn't take to it at all. It felt a bit waxy on my face and as for taking years off....piffle. I've found Estee Lauder stuff to be the best, along with a good 'oul exfoliation every two days or so. One thing's for sure...any moisturisers that you can buy in supermarkets are worthless, unless you're a 16-year-old and it doesn't really matter what crap u put on your face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I saw it for sale in Dublin Airport on Friday, think it was about e190 for a tub of cream :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I use creme de la mer.

The nearest place I could get it was in BT in Cork. It costs €125 for a small jar, and in my opinion it is worth it.

First of all, no cream is a miracle cream, so less of the "gets rid of wrinkles" talk. Only plastic surgery will get rid of lines.

I have combination/oily skin. I use CdelaM about once a week at night time. I could not use it everyday as it would be too oily for me. I am 28. I would wear an ordinary off the shelf moisturiser with SPF during the day. I find it lasts me roughly a year, if not more. There is a way to apply it properly (they will tell you when you purchase it)

Anyways, it keeps the skin supple and hydrated. Excellent for around the eye area. I also use it on the back of my hands.

It all depends on your skin type. If you have dry skin/mature skin, you will use more of it, less if you have oily/combination skin. It can look quite oily so, as I said, use it more of a night time cream. You could use a bit of it on your cheeks during the day. Gives a nice sheen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Lurk

The company itself proclaims it as a miracle cream and for that price, you'd expect it to be not far off. IMO the high price is just one of the marketing ploys, to suggest high quality. Creams that are a third of the cost leave my skin feeling very smooth, whereas creme de la mer had absolutely no affect, good or bad. Horses for courses, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I personally think that it is a good product.

Maybe you could ask for a little sample first so you can try it out.

What does a miracle cream mean? The product itself evens out skin tone, helps even scarring tissue etc. But if you believe that a cream can get rid of wrinkles, then that is a little foolish.

Marketing ploys would have you believe that if you use a product, you can look as good as the girl in the photo.

Advertisement