Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deactivated Rifle

Options
  • 14-12-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

So I thought I'd pose this question to ye lads. I'm looking at getting a nice piece of WW2 memorabilia, either an SMLE or Mauser K98, so I sent an email off to the chappies in the UK and asked them would they be prepared to post one of these over. The guy said he had done in the past, but it was considered something of a grey area. Then he recommened giving the local pork store a ring. Now of course it's around tea time and the last thing I want to do is disturb them while they're eating their dinner, so I've decided to post up here first. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Depending on your local sty,you can get various answers;like it needs a liscense,it does not, not sure,but liscense it anyway.ASFIK it is liscenseable but not a full fireams cert type thing,if that makes sense.OH yes DOJ will want to ballistically test it.Dunno how,but we are the only country that tests deact weapons.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Corega,

If this helps, I brought back a deactivated MK1 Lee Enfield .303 some years ago, maybe 8yrs, from the UK for a gift to a friend. I rang around a few couriers but they refused saying it was a firearm, when at this stage it clearly was not anymore. One firm did offer to fly it to Cork airport but it would have to be collected there (all quotes were very expensive, £200 - £300 stg). I was living in London at the time.

Then there was Ryan Air, they allowed me to take it on board i.e. in the pilots safe, and it only cost me the price of a return ticket. It was cheaper for me to fly to Cork with it. The conditions were, I had to present it to airport plod at Stansted, show the deactivation cert and he inspected it. The airline took it from there. On the other side at Cork airport it came through on the conveyer belt and as there was no airport plod on duty in Cork at the time I sailed through customs/immigration etc with no bother.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

A letter of authorization from your super covers them. Usually got withouth any trouble, usually!

[
    Then there was Ryan Air, they allowed me to take it on board i.e. in the pilots safe, and it only cost me the price of a return ticket. It was cheaper for me to fly to Cork with it. The conditions were, I had to present it to airport plod at Stansted, show the deactivation cert and he inspected it. The airline took it from there. On the other side at Cork airport it came through on the conveyer belt and as there was no airport plod on duty in Cork at the time I sailed through customs/immigration etc with no bother.

Ryanair...The we havent a clue about our own policies airline. Last time there was a write up in Shooting Times about Ryanair as being the most anti gun airline next to Gulf Air.It is offical policy[or was two years ago] for Ryanair not to transport any type of firearms,ammo,or components of firearms or ammo.Yet here they are transporting a Deacted 303 for Chrissake in the pilots cabin....:eek: Fair dues if Ryanair know the difference between deacts and live firearms.But I wouldnt think this is a regukar occurance.
    I had an experiance in Belgium with Ryanair,.I wanted to check in a laptop sized bag full of tools.IE sharp pointy screwdrivers,pliers,etc.The girl at check in was adammant that I should take it onboard.This is six weeks post 9/11
    After showing her the stuff,she huffily checks it in as cargo luggage.I go into the Belgian security,they go beserk because of my zippo lighter.Which I had to hand to the security staff and they hand to the captain,who in Shannon hands to security, who hands to me.
    All in all it goes to show no one has a clue in airline security,what is going on ,what they are looking for,or what the airlines policies are on anything either. Mad World..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Its all abit worrying really when you look at the various experiences posted here. It seems to me that this inconsistency in security measures is nothing short of reckless. Any lunatic wih a grudge could wing his/her way into Ireland carring god knows what.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

This was about 8-10yrs ago.... I doubt if I could do it again today.... and CG you are right about Zippo lighters, I thought the airport police were going to pull their side arms the last time I went through JFK security with a zippo on my belt, they got very excited and kept demanding as to what it was. The fact that it had a large Zippo logo stamped on the pouch was a small but cunning clue which they failed to see..... :p

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yet here they are transporting a Deacted 303 for Chrissake in the pilots cabin....:eek:
    About the safest place I can think of for it, to be honest.
    But don't get me started on them. Oh, we can take your skis, no worries. Golf bag? Not a problem. Air rifle for the Irish national team? Ah now boss, that's fair awkward that is, we'll have to charge you excess baggage. :mad:
    Gah.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Sparks wrote:
    But don't get me started on them. Oh, we can take your skis, no worries. Golf bag? Not a problem. Air rifle for the Irish national team? Ah now boss, that's fair awkward that is, we'll have to charge you excess baggage. :mad:
    Gah.
    :D

Sparks wrote:
    Gah.

I was in three different airports that Ryanair[aka Swine air :mad: ] flies into from Ireland .One is their European hub,one is in Ireland and one a German destination.
    I asked the question in all three about firearms on Ryanair.
    Ireland,we dont know,German hub,we dont know,but if it is in the hold bagge it should be ok. German reigonal airport,er...what was the question again???Have to ask the boss and he is not here. So three different answers from three airport staff,which makes me belive the saying about asses and elbows and not knowing the difference applies to Ryanair.
    Dont worry about sporting goods they are pulling that stunt with diving gear as well.

Advertisement