Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS Photoshop C& Dreamweaver

Options
  • 14-12-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I recently completed a web design course. I am going to get photoshop over xmas.. FAS offer an online course.. Anyone know if its worth doing?
    I bought a Photoshop bible etc too.

Is dreamweaver necessary do you think for web design? Its really only going to be a hobby .. just wondering are there other choices..

tnx!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sdLOVE

dreamweaver is most certainly necessary for use with iframes. Photoshop + iframes = good site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

iframes should never be used on the web anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

agreed.

what type of websites are you looking to design?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I reality, neither photoshop nor dreamweaver are nessessary for good web design. I'm not sure how the FAS course is.

If you are going to try and learn photoshop for web design then you might be taking on too much of a program.

Photoshop is an image manipulation program not a graphic creation program (although it can be used as such). It will have alot of stuff you won't need for web design.

I always say to people learning web design that clear layouts, with correctly chosen fonts, colours, proportions and text will do much more for a page than an image. I have seen images created in paint used to better effect on a webpage than ones cretaed in photoshop.

By all means this is a great place to learn a bit about photoshop, people here know their stuff an can help you greatly and knowing PS will always be useful.

On another note consider looking at fireworks (also by adobe) as it is intended for web graphics creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Is dreamweaver necessary do you think for web design? Its really only going to be a hobby .. just wondering are there other choices..
    The other choice would of course be to actually learn html/css ;)

I used to be a dreamweaver user, but I found all I was learning was... how to use dreamweaver!
    Then when the inevitable happens and you can't get something to work exactly as you want it to - you've got no idea how to go about fixing it, beyond fruitless button-bashing in DW.
    I found myself digging through html/css that I couldn't "read", looking for the problem.

Now I'm not slagging off dreamweaver, it's a fine program, but I wouldn't start using it until you can create some sites from a simple text editor and understand how all the markup works... I wouldn't rely on it as your sole interface to what you're building... and I wouldn't use it just because it's easier than learning the markup. (a premise which I'd actually question in retrospect)
    Having used DW as a crutch myself years ago, I'd certainly recommend learning this stuff in the right order, since you'll eventually want to know html/css inside out.
    Now that I'm comfortable working solely in notepad, I find I don't want to go back to WYSIWYG editors.

I don't think dreamweaver(etc) is essential for web design... after all you can design a website on pen and paper... and/or nail down the exact look/layout you want in the likes of photoshop.
    As I see it, programs like dreamweaver are productivity tools for building the page once it's already been designed.
    Although it does function as a very fast way of figuring out what works and what doesn't if you're using a kind of design-as-you-go approach.

Again, it's a fine program, but make sure you're not using it for the wrong reasons like I was... it'll only come back and bite you in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I'd agree with DonkeyStyle in learning html/css first.
    I just finished a course in Photoshop and it doesnt really have anything to do with web-design. Its about design! Which can then be used for the web. I also did a course in Flash which is good for web animation. Dreamweaver rocks and is easy to use, well once you know html, its very good. But knowing html is essential cos then you know exactly whats going on in your web pages. Its a fairly easy language to get your head around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/authoring/html_basics/

When I learned HTML I used that link, I figured it out in a few days. Its easy to learn but difficult to master.

Advertisement