Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange one

Options
  • 14-12-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi, I posted this in the wireless forum but as its kinda broadband related i thought id try get help from a bigger audience.

My setup: Broadband Router connected to a Wireless router(old school).

My broadband wireless network at home has been working fine for over a year.I have BT 2mb broadband. My broadband went down on friday and it didnt come back. I reset the DSL Zyzel modem and wireless router and reconfigured the two laptops (macbook and a dell) and desktop to account for this change.

Everything is back working fine apart from the Dell. It can connect to the internet when wired directly to the broadband modem but not wireless.It sees the network,has excellent strength,says its connected and connects. I can pass files between it and other computers via shared folders but I cant access the internet.I also cannot access the modem/router address ie. 192.168.1.* wirelessly from the dell but can when wired.

I have turned off the firewalls both Windows and norton to check but no use so i'm thinking conflicting IP's but i have changed the IP addresses so that they are all unique but still reside in the client pool address range.

I know a solution maybe to update the network card driver but why should it be needed if it was working fine until the broadband crash on friday.

I'm completely stumped please help. Will buy pints for a solution!!! ;) Laptop is running Windows XP home SP2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Have you checked your Gateway and DNS settings on your wireless connection?

for BT the DNS steeings are:

Preferred DNS : 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS : 192.111.39.4

The gateway should be set to the IP of the DSL modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Wireless box should not be running any router.

Advertisement