Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of unisex clothes for infants

Options
  • 14-12-2006 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Why does about 80% of available clothing have to be blue or pink? Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Yes, and if something is red, orange or cream it either has a truck or a flower on it.
    Let me guess you have a boy and a girl:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I've just had a girl after 2 boys and every last item of clothing I was given as a present was some shade of pink - lovely for about a week - I'm now thoroughly fed up with all pink now - i went to H&M and found that they had a little better selection of colours for girls - she now has some blue and red tops - also saw a cool dress in Georges market that had skulls and crossbones on it, that I will get for her soon (she is a pirate princess after all :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Crea wrote:
    Yes, and if something is red, orange or cream it either has a truck or a flower on it.
    Let me guess you have a boy and a girl:D

No, just one boy but try finding a non-girly cardigan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I think it's cos most people want everyone to know their little darling is one or the other - it can be hard to tell when they're all small cute, hairless, toothless bundles! The daddies in particular want their boys dressed in blue so no-one asks "What's her name?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

It goes back to an ancient feun sui concept. It provides good f.s. if the baby boys are in blue and the baby girls in pink.

Probably goes back even further to some pagan custom/belief.

And yes. It probably is only you it annoys. Its not something that ever bothered me. Having had both sexes in this house they simply got put into whatever was clean and available in their size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

It annoyed me to when I was pregnant and I could really only buy white things because I decided not to ask the sex. Glad to put him in blue now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you look in the boys section of Adams they have stuff in greens and yellows with frogs or teddys etc on them - I saw some nice stuff when I was looking for my 2 cousins babies - both girls but my mum was with me and insisted I get pink - "because it's a baby girl"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's the current fashion, sexually differentiating babies from their first squawk. It wasn't like that in the 1970s, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I find it annoying as well. Pink is wonderfully cute, but I don't want to dress her up in pink all the time. It seems like she is in the same outfit everyday.. all the freaking pink!!! I'd like some different shades of colour. Her current wardrobe has yellow,pink,white and purple. If I put any blue on her people think she is a boy (pisses me off they already say so even when she is in purple!)

I wish they would design more clothes in differnt colours :/.

Advertisement