Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom send me a welcome pack...

Options
  • 14-12-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

...even though I'm not a customer.

Hey lads

Odd one here: I signed up with Smart Telecom phoneline and broadband package way back in August, before the "troubles", but cancelled the order because they said they couldn't get a number for me in the local exchange and it might be 6 months before that happens. So, cancelled. Thats what they told me anyway. Signed up with BT about two weeks ago for their landline and broadband package, but they rang the other day to say the order is delayed because Eircom said, basically, "no". So they're trying it again. Happens commonly, they tell me.

Then today, Smart Telecom drops a welcome pack in through my door, including a DSL2 router, welcome guide and a letter saying thanks for the broadband order. "Your broadband connection and all telephone services will be transferred over to Smart Telecom within the next 10 working days." and they give me my "new" telephone number. (My phone is working as normal, byt the way) What's all this about??

A) I thought Smart didn't do landlines anymore? Just the broadband?
    B) Is this why the BT order can't go through, because Smart has "dibs" on my line?
    C) Does this mean I'm still with Eircom for line rental, but Smart are going to do my broadband? Because that sounds ok to me!
    D) Have Smart just made a silly billy and probably want their modem back?

Thought I'd ask you guys first. I only just got in, so I can't ring either Smart or BT until tomorrow. What seems to be going on here then?

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm. Have you rang your mobile from your landline to see if the number has changed? Maybe your order wasn't cancelled as was supposed to happen.

A) Smart offer phone as well as broadband, but only for those in range of unbundled exchanges

B) Possibly

C) No, I reckon your line rental et all will be with Smart now.

D) Maybe, you'll need to ring them tomorrow to find out I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

assuming they havent sent the package in error then it would indicate that your order is still going through, which would explain why eircom rejected the BT order sinc i see no reason why they should unless the line was already listed as due to be unbundled.

but over the next few days keep ringing your mobile and see what number appears if it changes one day or your phone goes dead, then plug in the smart modem, and enter your details etc and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hmmm just remembered that BT took about 125 euro off me 2 weeks ago as a deposit, think I'd be able to get that back?? I'll be ringing all of them after 9 this morning anyway...

cheers for the comments lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

UPDATE: I am now a Smart Telecom customer, it would appear...

The phone number changed over this morning to the new Smart one (1 day after getting the welcome pack), so I plugged in and set up the modem, and I have broadband. And it's working quite well :) So, I suppose I'll just cancel the BT order :D

Only took a little over 4 months after it was apparently cancelled tho....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and here is the latest info about the BT Deposit refund .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

you got lucky, i tried to move from eircom to smart 4 or 5 times so far and i'm still stuck with eircom
    1st time they transfered the phone and not the broadband so was stuck with bills from both

then they said i have to go back to eircom so they can try transfering the account again, did that and ended up with bb with smart and line rental with eircom,
    so smart says i have to go back to eircom to try again
    then they tranfer the phone/line rental to smart and bb still with eircom and they now tell me that smart cannot tranfer an existing bb account and i have to cancel my bb altogether and apply for bb from smart directly. so no bb for the weeks it will take to reconnect me.

the wierd thing is that smart are insisting that they never were able to transfer any1's broadband from eircom and every1 who wanted bb from them had to apply for a new bb account, i'm sure that wasnt the case b4.
    kinda screwed as i need my bb for work, i cant afford to cancel it while i wait for smart to set up a new account

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you cannot have any existing broadband on the line when applying to smart, smart can only transfer a line which is a voice only line, whose line rental is paid to eircom.

Sucks but hey, this is Ireland isnt it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JNive wrote:
    you cannot have any existing broadband on the line when applying to smart, smart can only transfer a line which is a voice only line, whose line rental is paid to eircom.

Sucks but hey, this is Ireland isnt it

Yes you have to cancel your bb with your provider and have a cancellation number and your telephony also has to be moved back to Eircom and you have to have your Eircom account number before Smart can initiate transfer - plus your details as given to Smart have to be exactly as Eircom have them or Eircom will use that as an excuse not to move you. So Smart are pretty much up against it as this years events have sadly demonstrated.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and here is the latest info about the BT Deposit refund .

Haha. BT Ireland-sucks. ?? They seem to have gone off the air. ??? !!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

dub45 wrote:
    Yes you have to cancel your bb with your provider and have a cancellation number and your telephony also has to be moved back to Eircom and you have to have your Eircom account number before Smart can initiate transfer
    You mean before eircom will accept a transfer request from Smart (or Magnet, the only other provider actually offering retail LLU service, as far as I know).

Smart aren't the ones requiring that you cancel your BB and CPS/WLR service before you can get LLU service from Smart - eircom are. (Though Smart would do everyone a favour if they did a better job of communicating that fact).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Foxwood wrote:
    You mean before eircom will accept a transfer request from Smart (or Magnet, the only other provider actually offering retail LLU service, as far as I know).

Smart aren't the ones requiring that you cancel your BB and CPS/WLR service before you can get LLU service from Smart - eircom are. (Though Smart would do everyone a favour if they did a better job of communicating that fact).

Well Eircom cannot accept or reject a transfer request from Smart unless Smart actually initiate can they?:rolleyes:

I don't think that at this stage anyone thinks that is Smart that are making these demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Eircom cannot accept or reject a transfer request from Smart unless Smart actually initiate can they
    They feckin' well managed it in October, didn't they ?

Advertisement