Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with skirting boards

Options
  • 14-12-2006 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Ok, so new flooring and skirting boards put down and i need to varnish the skirting boards. Do i need to sand them first? is it essential?

if so then what grit?

Thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well it depends on if they are dirty? If so get one of those green scouring pads and wash dirt off. If they are nice and clean varnish away and sand after first coat is dry and then after each coat of varnish until your happy with finish. Use P100 and maybe for final coat use P120-180..

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I'm doing this at the moment and I'm just sanding off any marks initially as they are fairly clean. Using 100Grit paper and then rubbing smooth with 180 sanding pad. Then I give them a rub with a "tacky" cloth to remove any dust. Two coats seems OK to me. I rubbed down with 180 pad between coats and then gave the final coat a rub with 280 pad to give it that extra smooth feel.

A bit of masking tape on the wall and on the floor makes the whole job a bit easier and only takes a few minutes to do. Just don't put masking tape on a wall you only painted a day before.:o

Advertisement