Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 335i convertible or 05 645i convertible

Options
  • 14-12-2006 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Ok wise and learned boardsters. I am about to choose between a new 335i convertible and a 05 645i.

Both are circa 85k and both dealers are giving me 50k for my 02 M3.

Advice pls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

05 M3

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

qz wrote:
    05 M3

Thanks qz but I don't think so. I am going to order a new M3 in 2008 and want something different between now and then.

New M3 will be a 4 liter V8 with 420BHP. Can't wait.

If you had to choose between both above which would it be??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Personally, i'd prefer your M3 to either of those cars. That said, the garages are offering particularly strong money for your one. For me, it'd have to be the 335. The appearance of a car is generally not too high up my list of priorities, but the 645 pushes it just a bit too far - it really does look like wheels for the successful prostitute. It's also just too big, which is frustrating if you're a keen driver.

I drove the 335i coupe today and was very impressed. Almost if not as fast as the M3. Super paddle shift gearbox. The convertible will have a hard top folding roof and 4 good sized seats. Car does not have the presence of the M3 however.

Taking the 645i for a good spin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

645i if you want presence A LA your current M3

335i ticks all the other boxes.

I was in one about 3 weeks ago on a test drive. A friend of mine is in a similar dilemma, trading in his 01 M3 against either a 07 335i or holding off and picking up a CSL - all similar money, obviously the 335i will be brand new, versus a used CSL.

Nice dilemma to be in oneman ;)

• Advertisement

Whats the mileage on your M3?
    There's an 02 M5 for sale in Murphy & Gunn with 50k up for €50k, 1 owner. (I'm not suggesting it as on option, it's just as Anan1 said you're getting a good offer on the M3).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

onemanband wrote:
    Car does not have the presence of the M3 however.
    This has got to be a good thing if, as I suspect, you're buying a car with the express intention of breaking the law in it.;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

How about an M6 I have drove one and a nice motor to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

As you're trading in an M3 (€50k is a cracking trade in price BTW 03's are retailing for less!) I take it you're a keen driver so would go for the 335. If however you feel like relaxing a bit till you get a new M3 then the 645 is the way to go. Haven't driven either but have been in the passenger seat of a 645 and it's certainly more of a tourer than a sports car whereas any reviews I've read on the 335 are classing it as a sports saloon. Personally I'd have the 335. Also alot of 6 series seem to be driven by mid life crisis victims! M6 was only launched last year so could be rare and pricey.

TCP/IP wrote:
    How about an M6 I have drove one and a nice motor to boot

I'm going to guess as it's about €100k more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Personally I'd have the 335!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Have you looked at a nice lightly used Skoda Octavia? Big boot and frugal diesel engines :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Or maybe a nice safe little Renault? Personally I'd go for a 335i, the 6 series looks dated already as far as I'm concerned. That said I think the E39 M5 I have is still very hard to beat and it looks a better car than the newer model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I'd be happy with either of those cars! :D

but if I had to chose one it would be the 05 645i

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

335i convertible new. Cracker of a car and surprisingly not that far removed from an M3 performance wise. At last BMW have switched to the much better looking retractable hard tops which will be a big factor in keeping down depreciation too. As said, the trade in for your M3 is very good

The 645i is a different animal and reading between the lines you can't wait to get the V8 M3, so a grand tourer, albeit a superb one, is probably not for you

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would go for the 335i myself. I just cannot warm to the looks of the Chris Bangle designed BMWs like the 6 Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

the 645, no question. the 3-series is incredibly dull looking and not a great drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

At the moment the 335i would be the choice as they are rare - my only worry is that when the smaller engines come out they will be everywhere and then your 335i wouldnt be easily distinguished (except for the exhausts)

I agree it is a nice predicament to be in - If you could wait a while you might be able to ge a 1-2yr old RS4 for the same money. That would tick all the boxes to me, and probably wouldnt be miles different in performance terms to the new V8 M3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd tgake the 335i all the way. The 6 is an ugly car, Bangle at his worst IMO. The 3 with the hardtop cab will be a very enjoyable car, very good looking. The only thing is that you will want an M3 Cab when you are done !!

Whqt is delivery like for a new 3 Cab anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

the 645, no question. the 3-series is incredibly dull looking and not a great drive.

I take it you have driven the E92 335i to form that opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

335i. Or... maybe 335d... 'would be worth more on a trade in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Jeez, onemanband, your life must be $hit!

:D

Personally, if I was driving car X and knew I was going to get another car X in a couple of years and in the meantime was choosing between car X and car Y, I'd take car Y just to have something for a bit of a change. Therefore I'd take the 6 series.

Not much of a BMW fan though.

One small hint though when buying a BM, sometimes the indicators are an optional extra, so it might be worth making sure it has them! :D

*runs for cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

One small hint though when buying a BM, sometimes the indicators are an optional extra, so it might be worth making sure it has them! :D

They're an item you never need to check when buying a used BMW - they've never been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

They're an item you never need to check when buying a used BMW - they've never been used.

...........and unlikely to be required either ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Ohhh how I would love to have that problem!!
    Im not a fan of the 6 series, but if you are just buying this as a stop gap to the new M3 then the 645 might be a better option because Id say it could be worth more at the trade in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

onemanband wrote:
    I am going to order a new M3 in 2008 and want something different between now and then.
    Alltogether now.....AAUUUWWWW

I'd go for the 645i but I imagine you'll see more depreciation on it over the year

I have to say thanks to everyone for their comments. Some really great advice here. I have taken the 645i for the weekend and have decided to go for it. Reason as follows:

1. Available right now rather than next March on the 335i.
    2. Much bigger and more luxurious interior
    3. I think the comments that when the entry models of the convertible are all over the place a 85k 335i will not have any major wow factor.
    4. Also agree with the comments that it's something new to try between the old and new M3.
    5. The 645i driven in sports auto mode is just a superb machine to go.

Also please do not think I am being arrogant about getting a new M3 in 2008. This is just what I hope to do please God.

Thanks again for all the sound advice

OMB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Good for you OMB!

I hope you enjoy it. I for one, was only joking about your tough choice. Plus, if you decide to come out to Greystones, perhaps you can help change my view of BMWs by letting me have a spin! ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bazz26 wrote:
    I would go for the 335i myself. I just cannot warm to the looks of the Chris Bangle designed BMWs like the 6 Series.
    CB was involved in the design of the latest 3er. he was also involved in the E46 design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

onemanband wrote:
    I have to say thanks to everyone for their comments. Some really great advice here. I have taken the 645i for the weekend and have decided to go for it. Reason as follows:

1. Available right now rather than next March on the 335i.
    2. Much bigger and more luxurious interior
    3. I think the comments that when the entry models of the convertible are all over the place a 85k 335i will not have any major wow factor.
    4. Also agree with the comments that it's something new to try between the old and new M3.
    5. The 645i driven in sports auto mode is just a superb machine to go.

Also please do not think I am being arrogant about getting a new M3 in 2008. This is just what I hope to do please God.

Thanks again for all the sound advice

OMB

Cool! Either way you are buying a great car! Enjoy!!

P.S. When you get your V8 M3 can you take me for a spin??!!??:D :D

Advertisement