Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice - wireless

Options
  • 14-12-2006 9:11pm

It looks like I'll be getting a new laptop with a wireless card built in. I've never used this before. I'm curious as to what would be a good deal for me with or without use of the wireless feature?

I already have a phone line with Eircom and a couple of years back had a 3 month bb trial with iol.

I don't want it for online gaming but I would like to download the odd avi file....any suggestions? Ta!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the fact that you want to use your laptop via its wireless card should have little or no influence on your choice of isp as you will need a wireless router irrespective of which isp you pick. at the moment as far as I am aware only Eircom supply a wireless router as an integral part of the package but a wireless router can be purchased relatively cheaply so dont let that be the decider on who you go with.

There are many threads on here giving the pros and cons of the various isps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

The wireless built into the PC you have is a WiFi network card (802.11 IEEE Spec). There are limited hotspots that you can connect to around Dublin and the country. There are also bandwidth sharing schemes but I cant recall any suppliers of this.

I think the wireless service you are thinking of is WiMAX (802.16e IEEE Spec) . Supplied by the likes of digiweb, clearwire and IBB. Currently there are no laptop's with built in WiMAX capibilities but it will happen someday. There is a plug n'play PCMCIA WiMAX card available from IBB. Make sure you have this legacy slot on your laptop as it wont fit otherwise ... though as far as I am aware there is a PC express version that has yet to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭swoofer

What u need is the voadfone set up via 3g, its 49.99 pm and it is always on, it is unlimited, u have to take a 12 month contract but it is totally wireless, all over the country and for those areas with poor 3g u get gprs. After xmas they are brining out an usb version that is better and faster might be worth ur while to wait.

its on the vodafone website but a bit tricky to find. u could throw that eircom line

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think the wireless service you are thinking of is WiMAX (802.16e IEEE Spec) . Supplied by the likes of digiweb, clearwire and IBB. Currently there are no laptop's with built in WiMAX capibilities but it will happen someday. There is a plug n'play PCMCIA WiMAX card available from IBB. Make sure you have this legacy slot on your laptop as it wont fit otherwise ... though as far as I am aware there is a PC express version that has yet to be released.
    There are Wimax trials but no-one offers WiMax. The bulk of Fixed Wireless broadband is 4 different systems. The IBB PCMCIA cards are either RipWave or Breeze. The Wimax is an aspiration.

The Vodaphone/O2 service is 3G based. A 4G mobile Broadband is starting next year but in a much better band than "offical WiMax".

Advertisement