Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lig Sinn I gCathu

Options
  • 14-12-2006 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Anyone doing Honours Irish knows what I'm talking about. I hate this story! There's no structure to it, it makes very little sense (granted its only an extract) and its a pain in the arse to study. I hope to Christ it doesn't come up next year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I didn't like it 'til I went to an Irish Seminar last week, then I found it easier to understand, however...I haven't read over my notes yet so I can't even TRY and explain anything to you right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Why can't all the prose stories be as easy to get through as An Bhean Og? I had my Christmas exam in Irish yesterday, totally delighted An Bhean Og came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Yeah. Don't like Lig Sinn I gCathu ar chor ar bith.
    And that other one... about the two lads getting pissed. What's it called again?
    Fiche Blian af Fas (I think). It just comes to an abrupt end. Really pissed me off.

Yeah I don't like Fiche Bliain ag Fas either. Its only an extract from a biography and there's so little plot going on its almost pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Steve01 wrote:
    Why can't all the prose stories be as easy to get through as An Bhean Og? I had my Christmas exam in Irish yesterday, totally delighted An Bhean Og came up.

An Bhean óg is terrible, i can't understand what the hell is going on in it.
    It took me a while to understand Lig Sin i gCathu but now I think it's grand and really easy.

• Advertisement

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Yeah. Don't like Lig Sinn I gCathu ar chor ar bith.
    And that other one... about the two lads getting pissed. What's it called again?
    Fiche Blian af Fas (I think). It just comes to an abrupt end. Really pissed me off.

It comes to an abrupt end because it is an extract, it'd be difficult to give us the whole biography :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I hate all the stories. And all the poems. As a matter of fact I hate Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm doing the LC in June. My Irish teacher is convinced "Lig Sinn i gCathú" is coming up. She has no life and works out these things. Isn't it wonderful? Don't get me started on "Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne"!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rozabeez wrote:
    It comes to an abrupt end because it is an extract, it'd be difficult to give us the whole biography :p

Oh now...in my day......

Seriously though, it's an easy enough read in English - if you wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

ethernet wrote:
    I'm doing the LC in June. My Irish teacher is convinced "Lig Sinn i gCathú" is coming up. She has no life and works out these things. Isn't it wonderful? Don't get me started on "Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne"!

Dont believe any stupid predictions! My teacher and my grinds teacher both told me that Oiche Nollaig na mBan was coming up and they had no doubt about it... did it come up? Noooooo! And I was fairly screwed then haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

If Lig Sinn iCathu comes up it'll have to be an easy enough question, more than likely on the characters. Nobody understands it, even some teachers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, really hate it. Fiche Bliain Ag Fas is better. An Bhean Og- nothing much to write about tbh! The one about Oisin the cock- that was such a WTF story. Very funny, but we had to abandon it halfway through.

Ah yeah, we're the worst honours class going. "Aahahahah, miss B said cock. rofflmao"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

ethernet wrote:

i think the author died recently so my teacher said that the department will probably put him on!

i think the author died recently so my teacher said that the department will probably put him on the course

Hmmmm... if the author/creator of Clare sa Speir is still alive can we kill him/her to ensure our chances of that coming up. I mean lets be honest its the easiest prose on the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

i thought it would be hard for cathal o searcaigh to write a worse poem than "nil aon ni"...before i studied maigdileana. the whole poetry and pros course is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Steve01 wrote:
    Hmmmm... if the author/creator of Clare sa Speir is still alive can we kill him/her to ensure our chances of that coming up. I mean lets be honest its the easiest prose on the course

An Cearrbhach Mac Caba is pretty handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Riada

My teacher is convinced Linn Sinn i gCathú is coming up on the Leaving aswell.. I hope not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It's a piece of piss really.

The fact there's no structure is what makes it easy. All you need to know is the characters....

And as for it making sense, it makes plenty of sense to me, Mairtín walks through the college to the treasurers office to get his monthly allowance and during that journey we learn about his personality and the personalities of other characters he meets along the way...

Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

oh my god.. just finished this story before the xmas break and i hate it... well i hate it more so the all the other stories

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It's a piece of piss really.

The fact there's no structure is what makes it easy. All you need to know is the characters....

And as for it making sense, it makes plenty of sense to me, Mairtín walks through the college to the treasurers office to get his monthly allowance and during that journey we learn about his personality and the personalities of other characters he meets along the way...

Very simple.

Fair play if you think its a piece of piss, I certainly don't. Here's how I see the story:

Mairtín walks through the gates of the college and notices the doorman. *cue 2 pages of irrelevant crap about the doorman, the gardener and a Catholic figure of authority which in no way ties in with the main story (presuming there is one). He finds the burser and comments on the fact that he has squinty eyes. Some reference is made to his father and his brother, he gets his money and leaves.

I'm sure there's a well structured story to go along with this haphazard mess of an extract but I can only judge what I've been given. The other stories are way more straight forward by comparison and I can only assume the Department was either on crack or feeling stingy when they put this sh*t on the course. Well thats my opinion anyways

Steve01 wrote:
    Fair play if you think its a piece of piss, I certainly don't. Here's how I see the story:

Mairtín walks through the gates of the college and notices the doorman. *cue 2 pages of irrelevant crap about the doorman, the gardener and a Catholic figure of authority which in no way ties in with the main story (presuming there is one). He finds the burser and comments on the fact that he has squinty eyes. Some reference is made to his father and his brother, he gets his money and leaves.

I'm sure there's a well structured story to go along with this haphazard mess of an extract but I can only judge what I've been given. The other stories are way more straight forward by comparison and I can only assume the Department was either on crack or feeling stingy when they put this sh*t on the course. Well thats my opinion anyways
    You seem to understand it almost perfectly, what's the problem?

There's a main story but you don't need to know that to answer any question on it. You can't be given a question on the story since there is none really, therefore it'll be a character question most likely. What does the extract do? It describes characters. Doing this it mocks the structure of society in Ireland.(The Monsignor is an alco and was appointed principal of the college ahead of better candidates simlpy because he was Catholic and they were Methodist, Mairtín gets allowance without going to lectures etc.).

So basically, know the characters and know how this mocks the structure of society and you're grand. A shít extract? Yes. Hard to answer on? Not at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JC 2K3 wrote:
    So basically, know the characters and know how this mocks the structure of society and you're grand. A shít extract? Yes. Hard to answer on? Not at all.

I agree. However, as others have said before, the whole course is a bit of a joke. I find a lot of the prose and poetry quite depressing, and those who know me will tell you that I usually like poetry. "An Bhean Og" wrecked my head for the whole week we studied it, even the most avid Gaelgoiri in my class hated it. Fortunately I'm pretty good at Irish so I'm not too worried about the exam, but it still takes a serious effort to put up with the stories.
    Your_Man wrote:
    i thought it would be hard for cathal o searcaigh to write a worse poem than "nil aon ni"...before i studied maigdileana.

Couldn't agree with you more, I actually spent more time drawing pictures on my desk in class than I did reading those poems. There is just something about the whole thing that makes it unbearable, I just don't know what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I am sooo behind in the Irish stories, just learnt the Cearrbhach Mac Caba off, (the whole works behind it), what a piece of crap, its like crap! so, here goes to study this one! lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i think the author died recently so my teacher said that the department will probably put him on!

Depends when he died. The 2007 papers would have been set since early last summer (2006).

An Fhile wrote:
    Fortunately I'm pretty good at Irish
    Your username is grammatically incorrect. "File" is masculine ;)

I don't have a problem with the stories or poetry tbh. You hear the exact same complaints about English, especially about the poetry, just on a smaller scale because there's not the same stigma around English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lig Sinn I gCathu is terrible, so relieved it didnt come up in my LC last year. An Bheann Og, Cearrbhach Mac Chaba, and Fiche Blian Ag Fas are a doddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Your username is grammatically incorrect. "File" is masculine ;)

There are GENDERS in Irish?! Why didn't anyone tell me?! :eek:

Please say you're taking the píss......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Please say you're taking the píss......

I so wish I was. :o

Advertisement