Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving job - up ****s creek without a paddle

• 14-12-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

I have been in my current job about 10 weeks now, in the last 2 weeks my hours were changed to much later hours so i decided to look for a new job.

Inititially i went on 3 job interviews over the space of 2 weeks. One in a law firm, a bank and an investment bank.

I decided to go with the law firm as they showed the best values and the job is exciting and challanging. I could have waited for the other 2 to make offers but i didnt get the same feel about them.

The new position is alot more challanging and advanced than my current job. It also helps that the hours are only 9-5 M-F.

I planned on telling my boss today but i was informed this morning that she is working from home today and just a few mins ago i found out she is working from home tomorrow and monday. So i cant tell my boss i am leaving face to face and that is just ****ty. I wanted to tell her personally and now it looks like i will have to call her. To make matters worse we are going home to ireland on saturday so it has to be tomorrow. I have already told my new boss in the law firm and i start there in jan 2nd.

Its just all very messy and not the way i wanted to tell my boss who gave me my first job when i was allowed to work here in the states.

I dont know what to do now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring you boss, email you boss and copy the email to hr, leave a hard copy of you giving notice on your bosses desk or in box and send a hard copy of your notice to hr.

State in the letter giving notice that you are wuiting due to the chage of hours as they were not the hours the job was advertised as having and you were told you would be working, make sure you give the date you are leaving at and you want your p45 sent on to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Thanks for the advice. I will do that but i just wanted to be professional and tell her personally instead of calling. The job is actually based in boston so that rules out the need for the p45. I actually still havent received my p45 from when i left Dublin in march. I have requested it many times but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd just apologise for the communication medium and offer to meet up for lunch or whatever (assuming you get on with them that well) when you get back.

If you like, you can follow that up in a few days with a friendly email saying all the nice things you wanted to say face-to-face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

galwaydude wrote:
    I actually still havent received my p45 from when i left Dublin in march. I have requested it many times but to no avail.

Get on to the tax office and they can issue one for you. They don't like it when companies don't issue P45s and will do their best to help you.

I will call her in the morning on the way to work. I dont start till 10 am. And as seamus suggested i am planning to email her as well explaining the situation.

To make things more complicated i have to call my recruitor that got me this job as well, but it has to be done as the new position will open alot more doors for me in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Did you post a while ago in Work & Jobs about the new hours meaning you wouldn't get to see your new wife much?

You don't have to answer that, i'd give the same advice anyway but if that is the case you really shouldn't be too concerned. Your manager has most likely had people come and go before and shouldn't take it it personally in any way. That's life. Yeah it's unfortunate that you can't tell her face to face but so be it. The thing is, you signed on expecting certain hours and they changed that. Some people would be okay with that but you're not and that's the gamble they took and if you're stuck on those hours you need to go.

In your position i'd follow Thaed's advice pretty much as is and leave it at that. Do not be concerned about your recruiter in the slightest. They are getting payed by the company to fit a tab A into a slot B and you are a product to them. You were the tab A that the slot B needed when you appoached them and that's about it. Don't get tied to one recruiter either because that cannot be in you best interest.

Best of luck in the new job when you do start it and enjoy the Xmas break!

fake edit : check if you're working in an at will state. Jan 2nd strikes me as a long while away if you've only been there ten weeks.

Yep my offer contract states that I or the company can terminate the employment without any reason at any time. So i guess MA is an at will state then.

Jan 2nd is because we dont get back from ireland till december 27th so my new boss suggested jan 2nd as to give me a day or so to adjust back due to jet lag.

Thank you for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Okay, the reason I was asking that was so that you don't end up getting terminated once you give your notice and find yourself without a couple of weeks pay. If you're going to be in Ireland anyway it's probably not a big deal but just weigh up how the company works before you give notice. It can feel wrong but if giving 3 weeks notice means they fire you straight off and you're down 3 weeks pay then that can be a big deal if you're starting off. Not to be mercenary about it but your first priority is to yourself and your family and U.S. employment law can be quite different to European law.

I guess what I'm saying is this : If giving your notice now isn't going to mess up your paycheck then do it and if it has to be over the phone\ email then it has to be. If giving it now is going to mess up your paycheck\ reference etc. then consider how different would it be to give it closer to the date you need to finish. Try not to burn any bridges, just.... look out for yourself dude.

Oh, and have a good time when you're home!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Don't burn your bridges galwaydude. Always be polite if you can with former employers. Call and tell her your situation, plus do all the paperwork suggested earlier, and perhaps a lunch someday soon as a thank you for your first job?

I told them today but i had to tell my my supervisor instead as my manager is in hospital for a few days having tests. I only found this out this morning. She is due in march. I didnt want to call her while she is in hospital. Anyways its done now. Hopefully it wont backfire. I will send a nice email tonight or tomorrow to my boss and offer to bring her out to lunch or something when we get back from ireland.

Thanx for the advice. When leaving a job in the states is there anything to get like your P45 that you get when you leave a job in ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement