Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rising prices at the pumps for christmas

Options
  • 14-12-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Is it just me or are prices at the pumps creeping up , the same happens every year the forecourt owner adds on a few cent "coz its christmas, they wont mind", I really only paid attention this year because the cost of oil dropped back by over 20% for delivery in november /december , so the price dropped in november at the pumps , but in the last few days the price in my local station has risen by 3 cent per litre, when asked why the response was that oil prices are gone up , but as i said earlier in this post the price for december was down over 20%, so in my opinion its a prime example of rip off ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Actually, the forcast was announced up a couple of days ago, dont have the link (was on marketwatch.com)

Prices are up slightly here in the US too, so you may be seeing a concertina effect rather than profiteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Price of oil was hovering at $57 - $59 in Sept / Oct then crept up to $61 / $62 in November / December. Thus the 2/3c increase in petrol prices.

Ireland is still one of the cheapest places in Europe for petrol / diesel. UK & northern ireland is about €1.30 per litre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The price of oil always rises as the cold winter approaches in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

I follow the price of oil in detail , and for the record , the price for a barrell of oil for december delivery was $55 , in one afternoons trading it dropped $3 from $58 to its lowest $ 55 where it pretty much stayed dgive or take a few cent , so as i said in my earlier post , it is profiteering , and anyone who thinks otherwise should really wake up and smell the roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

like I said: concertina effect

I'm fully awake and alert, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'd say you're right. They push it up at Christmas because a lot of people travel and need fuel. They also do it for mid-term breaks, Easter and bank holidays. I also have a suspicion that they raise it in certain counties during the All-Ireland campaigns (so Carlow, Donegal & Louth people are ok ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

parsi wrote:
    I'd say you're right. They push it up at Christmas because a lot of people travel and need fuel. They also do it for mid-term breaks, Easter and bank holidays. I also have a suspicion that they raise it in certain counties during the All-Ireland campaigns (so Carlow, Donegal & Louth people are ok ;) )

I didn't see any All-Irelands go to Cork this year so you should be okay then.:p

The price of petrol at my local station has remained the same for about six weeks now.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's fluctuating a bit down here but most places seem to be at 103.9 - however Amber in Charleville was 100.9 yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No change down here, oil prices have firmed up but the dollar is weaker than 5-6 weeks ago.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

International Prices at of 30th October. Unleaded first price then Diesel
    From AA Ireland - might avoid Norway for the driving holiday!!!

All prices in €uro

Ireland 1.02 1.01
    Austria 1.10 1.02
    Belgium 1.34 1.11
    Finland 1.27 1.01
    Germany 1.23 1.09
    Greece .97 .99
    Netherlands 1.36 1.05
    Italy 1.28 1.23
    Luxembourg 1.04 .92
    Spain .94 .91
    France 1.22 1.10