Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Price-drop

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

steviec wrote:
    Nope the PS3 has been repeatedly confirmed as region free. What you just described was the 360 - Microsoft have allowed games to be region free but it depends on the publisher. The PS3 has no region locking for games. It does have region locking for Blu Ray movies and any PS2 games you run on it.

You did not understood my point: region locking is not in hardware on the 360 or the PS3 (dunno about the Wii), but the software can be region-locked.

That's how some games are region free and some are not on 360, and why all games are region free on PS3 at the moment (because God knows the thing needs its few launch titles, considering how it's doing at retail), but might not stay so.
    steviec wrote:
    And the cheaper online thing is true - (etc.)

Of course it is true! It's been that way for years. Again you did not understand my point: online is always going to be cheaper when *as a business* online retailers have less overheads to offset, and therefore can make the same margin (or more) with a lower price than high street RRP.

However, I'm interested to learn why-
    steviec wrote:
    anybody who knows where to shop online will get their PS3 games cheaper than Wii games and cheaper than any region locked 360 game.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just posting to say the Wii is region locked including Virtual Console games. Europe gets the what was the PAL version at the time the game was released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

the wii is NOT region free
    and play-asia is the way to go to get cheap region free games for the ps3 and 360 :)gears for 35eur and resistance for 45eur but anything outside of the eu and greater then 22eur could face import duty...

id imagine sony will leave the ps3 up to publishers to decide region as long as ms does the same
    also in a slightly related matter hddvd has no region locking while blu ray does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

komplett have the ps3 up on pre order... 629.99

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324725

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

but komplett will charge u the cc straight away dont they?or will they charge it when they ship it?
    its risky considerin they did the same with the wii and many ppl were dissapointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

j4vier wrote:
    its risky considerin they did the same with the wii and many ppl were dissapointed

That's the only reason I haven't booked it with them as well as all my other bookings.If anyone thought that the Wii launch was crazy god love us all this March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

ambro25 wrote:
    You did not understood my point: region locking is not in hardware on the 360 or the PS3 (dunno about the Wii), but the software can be region-locked.

That's how some games are region free and some are not on 360, and why all games are region free on PS3 at the moment (because God knows the thing needs its few launch titles, considering how it's doing at retail), but might not stay so.

Of course it is true! It's been that way for years. Again you did not understand my point: online is always going to be cheaper when *as a business* online retailers have less overheads to offset, and therefore can make the same margin (or more) with a lower price than high street RRP.

However, I'm interested to learn why-

:confused:

Sony have said software isn't region locked and none of the software has been region locked. Sure it's possible for publishers to region lock their software at some point in the future, but it's possible on PSP too and two years later it hasn't happened so there's no real reason to expect different.

And my point about the games being cheaper is that Asian and American games are much cheaper than European ones. So PS3 owners can buy Asian or American games much cheaper than Wii owners can buy European games or 360 owners can buy region locked games. Some 360 games aren't region locked and people are already taking advantage of that situation.

Advertisement