Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 11?

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Robinson

Chimbo King Dawson Lee/BAE(little between them really imo)

Lennon Huddlestone Zokora Steed

Berbatov Defoe

At this stage cam there be any argument aside from the LB position?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Babybing wrote:

At this stage cam there be any argument aside from the LB position?

Possibly...

Depending on the opposition of course, but Ghaly gives us a good option to switch the wide players (worked well against Chelsea) that Steed doesn't give us IMO. In that scenario I'd be inclined to drop Zokora and play Steed in the middle with the Hudd, with Ghaly and Lennon as the wide men.

Can't really argue with your 11 though, especially the front pairing. A decent run in the side and we'll see the benefit of a strike partnership and Defoe getting his confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Possibly...

Depending on the opposition of course, but Ghaly gives us a good option to switch the wide players (worked well against Chelsea) that Steed doesn't give us IMO. In that scenario I'd be inclined to drop Zokora and play Steed in the middle with the Hudd, with Ghaly and Lennon as the wide men.

Yeah, I agree. Its nice to have that option of the bit of width and I think Lennon is getting better on the left. Still think we need to sign a decent dedicated left winger come january though.
    Can't really argue with your 11 though, especially the front pairing.

Keano must be more than a bit worried at the moment:D :(:confused: I think defoe has got a lot of stick the past few months but when his confidence is high he is absolutely top class. His quality is easy to see when you look at some of the goals he scores. I hope Jol doesnt go back to his old tricks though when keane comes back chopping and changing. It just doesnt work we need the bit of consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I'd much prefer Ghaly or Tainio to Lennon in away games. Anyone notice how we won away yesterday for the first time and he was not playing!!
    Upfront i'd prefer Keane to Defoe anytime - he is a lazy git whose workrate is far less than Robbie, i've yet to see him track back. Interesting to see Mido replace him in final 10 minutes when Jol dislikes 2 tall strikers.

Great result and with Villa and Liverpool over Christmas we could move into Top 4 before New Year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I don't think we have an all purpose best 11 at the moment but a collection of 13 or so players who should be played depending on the opposition. I prefer Robbie to Defoe and think Mido has something to offer over Berbatov in some games (but prefer Berbatov overall for most games) though each has advantages. Likewise I wouldn't want to write Jenas out - until he got injured he was probably our best player so far this season. Also I'd play Lee left back, I think he's arguably better both attacking and defending than BAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im still of the opinion that huddleston and tainio are the best pairing in the centre :)

oh, and hello from australia. its very hot and sunny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

im still of the opinion that huddleston and tainio are the best pairing in the centre :)

oh, and hello from australia. its very hot and sunny :)

Jaysus you like Tainio Whitewashman!:) But Zok is a different class imo. You must remember he hasnt really got a good run to settle into the english game yet. He hadnt had that many games when he came down with Maleiria!(sp?). That has to take it out of ye. I feel that by the end of the season he'll be held in much higher regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

galinka wrote:
    I'd much prefer Ghaly or Tainio to Lennon in away games. Anyone notice how we won away yesterday for the first time and he was not playing!!

Could say the same about Defoe over Keane though Andrew...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Atm I would lee instead of Ekotto

Thudd and Lennon should be first two names on the teamsheet. The other midfield players can be switched around depending on the opposition. We need Lennon away from home as well as at home. He is our only midfield player with true creative flair and penetration.

Up front Berbatov should be the only definite starter. Defoe, Keane and Mido all offer something very different and should be used depending on the opposition.

Advertisement