Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the definition of false advertising

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Here's the thing, I work in a shop and because the product is not in stock, the customers immediately believe that it is false advertising; I didn't think so. I am pretty sure that false advertising refers to the price being wrong than what it is sold for

I was wondering if false advertising can refer to other means

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

False advertising doesn't just apply to price.

Browse the codes on www.asai.ie for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not sure on the legality of it but nothing pisses me off more as a consumer going into a shop asking about an item on displayin giving 10 minutes of instruction, blah, blah and when I say "Ok I will buy it" they tell me its not in stock or that I have to pre-order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marlena

False advertising can mean looking at a shop front displaying a big banner in the window saying 50% of all stock only to go in and find that there is only about 20% of the stock.

Marlena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Dixons and Currys lower thier prices when they dont have products in stock. FACT

This is done to, a. get you in the door so they can try and hard sell you something else. and b. Make thier competitors look dearer.

Not false advertising but theres nothing to stop them doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Advice ... steer well clear of Dixons and Currys and buy your stuff from komplett or pixmania etc .. save money...

The ****e I've heard people working there tell people.. no not ****e.. lies.. plain and simple... :mad:

I know a lot about tech so I don't get burned .. put the poor average punter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I get that where I work. If something is sold out, that means its false advertising. I just say it isnt, and tell them when we expect the next delivery and if that doesnt shut them up, just say "I'll look forward to you solicitors letter" with a smile on your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

aloleary wrote:
    Advice ... steer well clear of Dixons and Currys and buy your stuff from komplett or pixmania etc .. save money...

The ****e I've heard people working there tell people.. no not ****e.. lies.. plain and simple... :mad:

I know a lot about tech so I don't get burned .. put the poor average punter...

Just so you know, the same people who own Dixons and Currys own pixmania!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

its not false advertising but there is the 'get out of jail free' line on most ads
    "while stocks last"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

it is not false advertising if you have a product that you have been seeling in the past,and will be selling in the future. if you run out of stock,you run out of stock...a lot of offers do say "while stocks last". but even if it doesn't,you can still advertise because you will be getting the product back in. if you were to change a display everytime you run out of stock it would be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A lowered price is "An invitation to treat" and is allowed. False advertising is specifying product features that do not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Would advertising as a LTD company but registered with the CRO as just a business name fall into the category of false advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

even if a price is stickered wrong in a store the customer is not entitled to demand it at that price. they are to be told the correct price and asked if they want to continue with the purchase or not. in legal terms, a price ticket does not oblige the seller to sell at the marked price. however you are in violation of section 7 of the consumer information act 1978. you can be fined if inspected and found to be guilty of violation, but it still doesn't mean the consumer gets it at the lowered price. any store can backtrack on an incorrect price no matter how much a consumer cries false advertisement. it would cost the consumer more to go through the courts than the product and the product would possibly even be outdated again it gets to see a judge if legal proceedings were to be taken by the consumer.

Advertisement