Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital bill

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Dunno if this is the right forum?

Anyway,
    I was in hospital for about 12 days this year in tallaght hospital and today a bill came for 600euro!?:eek:

This was totally unexpected (well not really, they sent me the bill about 2 weeks ago, but it was a shock then), i thought it was a free healthcare system!!

So 600 euro just before xmas and there is no way in hell i can pay it. Since my accident, ive been unable to work and am getting 135euro a week on the disability allowence. Ive also since got a medical card, but when i rang them they told me they would only accept a apyment through medical card if i had it before i was in hospital.

im not gonna be able to return to work until at least May next year and this is the 2nd letter theve sent me. they say one more and they'll be sending it to a debt collectors.

They dont seem that concerned when i ring them, the woman on the phone just told me to get a lend :confused: I told her nobody will give me a lend os it will be a while before i can work again.

Anyone able to offer me some advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I worked in Medical Cards for over a year, and always understood that as long as you could prove you were eligible for the card on the date of accident, you were covered. I know the wait for cards can take up to a month in some cases, so it's possible the CWO had made the decision you were eligible long before you actually received the card. This procedure might be different in various areas. But where I worked, we went by this rule and had no issues with people in the same predictament you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bills can be fairly hefty alright. I was in Tallaght for around 4 days last year getting an operation on my finger. Total bill came to around €1500. I had VHi though, was still a bit shocked at the bill.

Had 4 wisdom teeth out this year, again on VHI (im getting my monies worth) and that was a couple of k's aswell. Was in and out of the clinic in Ranalegh on the same day that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

I was in hospital for about 12 days this year in tallaght hospital and today a bill came for 600euro!?:eek:

QUOTE]
    600 euro for 12 days in hospital is the free healthcare system. My understanding is that it is €50 per day on hospital visits regardless of income. This is a set fee for anyone to use the health care system. If you have a medical card this fee i believe is waived and the government pay it. If you have no insurance you pay the €50 and the government makes up the rest (1 day in the hospital probably comes to well over €400). If you have medical insurance the insurance company pays the €50 cover fee per day and the rest of the bill. If you lived in the states not only would you have been charged the €600 but also all the hospital bills (couple of grand) for your stay.

With regards the medical card , as the last poster stated , see can it be back dated to the time when you were entitled to it.

As i said this is how i believe it works however i may be corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Mrbrianmolko

Thanks Havok, but the problem is i probly wasnt eligible for the medical card when my accident happened, as I was in college and had a part time job. And my dad was working and thus i probly wouldnt of been eleigable. It was only when the accident happened and i couldnt work anymore (and had finished college) that i applied for the card and was successful.

Im getting a bit worried about this now, anyone any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Whoever told you to get a loan to pay the bill should be told to go and take a hike for their brass-necked effrontery. Don't be bullied by them either. After all it is not as if you decided to injure yourself and go to stay with them for 12 days for the sheer fun of it.:mad:

Telephone conversations with some of these administrative imbecillic dullards are pointless but at the same time do not ignore the demand. You might be better writing back and explaining your circumstances and your inability to pay. If they see that you are an impecunious student they might leave you alone on the basis that you have no money to pay them so there is no point in pursuing you.

Incidentally, if your injury was caused by someone else's fault you could claim this bill back from them and then pay the hospital when you have the money.

Are you covered under your folk's VHI or other health insurance policy ? If so, they might cover this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/hospital-services/hospital_charges

In-patient charges in public hospitals If you are in a public ward under the care of a consultant for treatment and you remain overnight, you are receiving in-patient services.

If you are admitted to the hospital under the care of a consultant where you do not require the use of a bed overnight and your discharge from hospital is planned, you are receiving day services.

The charge for in-patient/day services is 60 euro per day up to a maximum of 600 euro in a year. The charge does not apply to the following groups:

medical card holders
    people receiving treatment for prescribed infectious diseases
    people who are subject to "long stay" charges
    Children up to six weeks of age, children suffering from prescribed diseases and disabilities and children referred for treatment from child health clinics and school board examinations
    People who are entitled to hospital services because of EU Regulations
    Women receiving maternity services
    In cases of excessive hardship, a Health Service Executive Area may provide the service free of charge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

600 euro for 12 days in hospital is a bargain.
    Why can't your parents lend you it? Have you even asked your bank for an overdraft?

I can't believe you agreed to go into hospital thinking it would be free when you had no medical card. I'm presuming it wasn't emergency treatment as you didn't mention if it was.

Ask to speak to someone in charge in the accounts section of the hospital. Offer to pay off 100 euro a month for 6 months. They will agree to this, this way they get their money without having to pay for the services of a debt collector.

Advertisement