Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw! Discuss

• 15-12-2006 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭

for tomorrows draw.

10.30 on sky sports news.

ACTUAL DRAW

Porto -v- Chelsea
    Celtic -v- AC Milan
    PSV -v- Arsenal
    Lille -v- Man Utd
    Roma -v- Lyon
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool
    Real Madrid -v- Bayern Munich
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia

My predictions

Chelsea v Roma
    Manutd v Real Madrid
    Arsenal v Inter
    Liverpool v Barcelona
    Valencia v Lille
    Lyon v Porto
    Milan v PSV
    Bayern v Celtic

ONLY ONE RIGHT but it should be a good one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I believe this ties are rigged, but matches I'd like to see are,

Arsenal vs. Real Madrid
    United vs. Roma
    Chelsea vs. Inter
    Liverpool vs. Barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Manutd v Real Madrid
    Arsenal v Inter
    Liverpool v Barcelona
    Bayern v Celtic

What cracking games they would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

I think Celtic would give any of the English sides a tough time.

From a 'Pool point of view I just hope we avoid Real and Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Trilla wrote:
    What cracking games they would be!

#
    well I feel Man utd Real is set in stone for this year. maybe not this round but we will definitely see Ruud score against us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

evad_lhorg wrote:
    for tomorrows draw.

10.30 on sky sports news.

My predictions

Chelsea v Roma
    Manutd v Real Madrid
    Arsenal v Inter
    Liverpool v Barcelona
    Valencia v Lille
    Lyon v Porto
    Milan v PSV
    Bayern v Celtic

You would get some odds on all of those matches being pulled out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Draw in progress...

Porto -v- Chelsea
    Celtic -v- AC Milan
    PSV -v- Arsenal
    Lille -v- Man Utd
    Roma -v- Lyon
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

feck - tough draw for liverpool

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    feck - tough draw for liverpool
    Probably the tie of the round too. Madrid and Munich should be entertaining too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

It sounds like an eassy draw for Utd, but knowing them they'll mess it up somehow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Hopefully I'll be able to get tickets for it - Should be a great game - a tough one for the pool but a good one. As they say you have to beat the best to win the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Obviously the toughest tie on paper for Liverpool, but having seen Barcelona in the group stages I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool grind out a decent result over there leaving it in their own hands at Anfield.

Obviously the toughest tie on paper for Liverpool, but having seen Barcelona in the group stages I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool grind out a decent result over there leaving it in their own hands at Anfield.

That would be the ideal situation - they just need to make sure to get an away goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Chelsea
    Milan
    PSV
    Man Utd
    Lyon
    Barcelona
    Bayern
    Inter

Some cracking games there. Liverpool Vs Barca defo the pick of them.

Mr Moon wrote:
    It sounds like an eassy draw for Utd, but knowing them they'll mess it up somehow!!!

United ftw! Yeah they always struggle out in France. Jóse gets Porto, should be interesting

Rather Fancy Screen For Draw

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mr Moon wrote:
    Ditto.

Just saw the Lille goals against Milan, some super sexy football for the goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tli3rR9xLA4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I would be very surprised if that happened. Lets face it Barcelona are a better team than Liverpool (And almost everybody else for that matter) and they are only going to be stronger in February what with E'to coming back next month. Curtains for Liverpool I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Full draw:

Porto v CHELSEA
    CELTIC v AC Milan
    PSV Eindhoven v ARSENAL
    Lille v MANCHESTER UNITED
    Roma v Lyon
    Barcelona v LIVERPOOL
    Real Madrid v Bayern Munich
    Inter Milan v Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Cmon the celts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

LOL @ Liverpool.

Cant see them giving barca a go at all.

Happy enpough with the draw from an Arsenal perspective
    Easiest tie of the round for united though.

Should be very interesting in the last 8. A lot of strong teams will still in there with a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know what date the Barca vs Liverpool game is on in the Nou camp?

when are the actual dates of games anounced - I know the second legs are on the 6/7 march but whether liverpool are the 6th or 7th

Anyone know what date the Barca vs Liverpool game is on in the Nou camp?

20th or 21st of February.

jank wrote:
    LOL @ Liverpool.

Cant see them giving barca a go at all.

From a Man Utd fan, My money is on the Pool here. If I can get over 5/2 for this tie (which I doubt), Ill plunge a few quid on them

Trilla wrote:
    From a Man Utd fan, My money is on the Pool here. If I can get over 5/2 for this tie (which I doubt), Ill plunge a few quid on them
    Any reason why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

happy with utd`s draw, it could have been worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

The Celtic and Liverpool matches are the highlights of the draw for me. Chelsea and Porto will be interesting but I'm not sure I'd be arsed watching it.

Pighead wrote:
    Any reason why?
    I can see them winning in Anfield, and they are worth a pop to hold their own out in Nou Camp. Risky but I think its alot closer than some are suggesting

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote:
    I can see them winning in Anfield, and they are worth a pop to hold their own out in Nou Camp. Risky but I think its alot closer than some are suggesting

True. Its a classic CL tie and comes down to two games. Very few people will argue that Liverpool are a better side than Barcelona, but they will still have a good shout of getting through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pighead wrote:
    I would be very surprised if that happened. Lets face it Barcelona are a better team than Liverpool (And almost everybody else for that matter) and they are only going to be stronger in February what with E'to coming back next month. Curtains for Liverpool I'm afraid.

:rolleyes: I remember hearing the same stuff being said back in 2005 when Liverpool played Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan. If Liverpool are good at anything, it's being the underdog. I'd be happier with an easier tie but feck it we'll just have to go the hard route. I think we'll grind out a result away to Barca and will probably do the same at Anfield. Looking forward to both legs. Also, a fresh face or two in January wouldn't go amiss to boosting our chances :)

As for the other legs...
    Porto v Chelsea -> Chelsea will be too strong and should win easily
    Celtic v AC Milan -> Tough tie, AC aren't at their best but should win this
    PSV v Arsenal -> Depends a lot on if Henry is back playing. Arsenal... just
    Lille v Man Utd -> Man Utd should win easily
    Roma v Lyon -> Lyon, they're looking good this year

Real Madrid v Bayern
    Inter v Valencia

Don't know about those last two. My gut says Bayern and Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Not the most easiest of draws for Liverpool, it has to be said. Still, at the last 16 stage, any game is winnable. Having Barca away first may be a slight advantage but not that much in my opinion. If anything, it will give the advantage to Barcelona who are more comfortable being in front rather than coming from behind. It will take a solid display by Liverpool.

I think with the big open spaces of the Camp Nou I would prefer to see Bellamy played in that match along with Kuyt. If Sissoko is back fit, that will be a boost, and yes, I would then opt to put Gerrard out right. Could also be a case of Riise on left side midfield being the best option with Warnock (if fit) at left back. A containing/on the break formation.

Porto -v- Chelsea
    Celtic -v- AC Milan
    PSV -v- Arsenal
    Lille -v- Man Utd
    Roma -v- Lyon
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia

An easy tie for Chelsea if not for 'Boringho' himself, having to go back to Porto.

Celtic will relish the tie against AC Milan. They have nothing to fear.

PSV and Arsenal is closely matched. Hard to call really. On paper, Arsenal are stronger of course.

Man Utd should ease past Lille.

Lyon should get past Roma.

Madrid/Munich, anyone's guess on that one really. Both teams are inconsistent.

Question: does anyone know the draw or the next round, is it:

Porto -v- Chelsea - winners v
    Celtic -v- AC Milan - winners

PSV -v- Arsenal - winners v
    Lille -v- Man Utd - winners

---- other half of the draw ---

Roma -v- Lyon winners v
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool winners

Real Madrid -v- Bayern Munich winners v
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia winners

Is it the case that Chelsea, Celtic, Man Utd, Arsenal are in one half of the draw and Liverpool are in the other half?

If that is the case, Liverpool's draw mightn't be so bad. Its not that the other teams are worse than the english teams, its just that they do not play so often against each other and the players are not so familiar with each other.

I checked on Uefa.com but I couldn't find that info ....

Redspider

Bacchus wrote:
    Porto v Chelsea -> Chelsea will be too strong and should win easily

I wouldn't bet on that.
    Bacchus wrote:
    PSV v Arsenal -> Depends a lot on if Henry is back playing. Arsenal... just

Barring another (seperate) injury I don't see why Henry wouldn't be back. Its over two months away.

Trilla wrote:
    Tell ya what then, you were looking for 5/2 for a Liverpool win, Piggy Power offers you 11/4!

redspider wrote:
    Question: does anyone know the draw or the next round, is it:

I think its an open draw, but thats just my first thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

no there is another draw for the quarters if I remember correctly.

Just noticed that every side who were drawn at home in the second leg of last seasons last 16 won, except Liverpool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PSV Eindhoven. not a bad draw and hopefully Arsenal will be playing to their full potential by then

Lille are unbeaten in their last three games against Manchester United. FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well... I'd rather lose to Barcelona than someone like Benfica again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I think its an open draw, but thats just my first thought.

okay .... must be that the semi's are drawn at the quarter stage so.

thanks

redspider

Bacchus wrote:
    :rolleyes: I remember hearing the same stuff being said back in 2005 when Liverpool played Juventus, Chelsea and AC Milan. If Liverpool are good at anything, it's being the underdog. I'd be happier with an easier tie but feck it we'll just have to go the hard route. I think we'll grind out a result away to Barca and will probably do the same at Anfield. Looking forward to both legs. Also, a fresh face or two in January wouldn't go amiss to boosting our chances :)
    Love the way you focus on the only year that Liverpool have done well in the Champs League.

Apart from Liverpools victory in 2005 they're next 2 best performances are losing to Leverkuson in the quarters in 2002 and Benfica in the last 16 last year. Every other year has been muck. Winning the Champions League in 2005 was most definitely the exception rather than the rule.

When the news came through that Manchester United had drawn Lille in the last 16 of the Champions League, the pundits on Sky Sports News snorted with derision. The bookies, meanwhile, immediately installed Lille as 125-1 rank outsiders to win the Champions League. But no one should write Claude Puel's young side off: they could yet spring a surprise.

In theory, Lille have no right to be hobnobbing with Europe's elite. Their last major trophy was the French Cup in 1955 and since being forced by poverty to sell Jean Vincent to Reims for a then-record 19m francs in the same year, the biggest star to pull on their not-very-famous jersey is, well, a toss-up between Pascal Cygan and Antoine Sibierski. Exactly.

With an annual budget that's puny even by France's modest standards - 11 clubs in Ligue 1 planned to spend more this year than Lille, including giants such as Sochaux and Rennes - the club's current squad consists of graduates from the youth team and cut-price signings from leagues as exalted as the Swiss and Qatari championships. Not only are they devoid of stars, they don't even have a permanent home - while they await the long-promised construction of a new stadium, they host European opponents in the Stade Félix Bollaert, home of local rivals Lens.

Yet despite these drawbacks, Lille not only reached the Champions League group stages but did so in historic fashion, by becoming the first ever French club to win at the San Siro by deservedly beating AC Milan 2-0. Seven of the 16-man squad they took to Italy that night had graduated from the club's youth scheme. The result surprised many - not least the players of Group H cohorts AEK Athens, who after equalising at Anderlecht rejoiced at reaching the next round, apparently in the belief that there was no way Lille would win - but it really shouldn't have: because it is merely the latest step forward in the gradual but irreversible march that Puel has led them on since he was appointed manager in July 2002.

Actually, that's not quite true. Puel had a blip in his second season, when Lille finished 14th, but chairman Michel Seydoux kept faith in his appointment and was soon rewarded. By deftly blending youngsters such as Jean II Makoun (generally found under the 'new Claude Makelele' column in the French sporting press) with bargains like Uzbekistan-born Nigerian striker Peter Odemwingie, Puel has led Lille to second and third-placed finishes in the last two domestic seasons. "They're sly so-and-sos," quipped Lyon maestro Juninho recently. "Nobody ever talks about them but every time I look over my shoulder they seem to be right there!"

Lille do not play the same flamboyant, free-scoring style of football that Puel's Monaco did in 2000. Rather their usual formation is a tight, fluent Lyonesque 4-2-3-1, though they frequently show their flexibility by partnering Ivory Coast international Kader Keita with Odemwingie in a 4-4-2.

At times, they've shown youthful insecurity by failing to recognise their superiority - at Old Trafford in last season's group stages, for example, their tidy zippiness had Manchester United chasing shadows and lured Paul Scholes into several trademark lunges and, eventually, a red card: but rather than go the kill they froze at the prospect of toppling one of the game's giants on their own turf, and were left to express regrets over the 0-0 draw afterwards. But their bold victory in Milan proves they've surmounted that psychological barrier.

Can they beat United? Well, they certainly have the tools. Makoun is marvellous, Odemwingie dangerous and midfielder Matthieu Bodmer is a dainty dribbler and deadly finisher (eight league goals already this season) - even if Greek centre-back Elfstahtios Tavlaridis is still way too prone to the sort of errors that explain why he earned nothing but mockery during stints at Arsenal and Portsmouth.

Still, United should be wary. Lille are fine-tuned and fearless now - and should Sir Alex Ferguson's side fail to match Lille's work-rate, speed and understanding, they could yet find themselves reduced to footnotes in a French fairytale.

United beware! http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/12/15/beware_lille.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Just noticed that every side who were drawn at home in the second leg of last seasons last 16 won, except Liverpool...

The group winners each year get to play at home for the second leg, so they're usually the stronger teams anyway. Liverpool were the only group winner last year not to get through the 2nd round. Was much more clear cut last year, this year totally different kettle of fish (what an odd phrase!), both sides have plenty of quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

If I could have picked a tie for Celtic it would've have been Milan or Liverpool.
    While it will be tough the Celts are capable of putting it up to anyone in a two-legged affair, though drastic improvement on the away form is needed.
    Two teams I'm glad they avoided are Arsenal & Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pighead wrote:
    Love the way you focus on the only year that Liverpool have done well in the Champs League.

I love focusing on that year too :D

My point is that you've completely dismissed a team that has shown in the past that they are very capable of beating superior opposition. Benifica last year was down to Liverpool being cocky and thought "pft Benefica, we'll walk that one". I think we greatly underestimated them. We won't be doing that against Barca and I think we'll give em a run for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pighead wrote:
    Tell ya what then, you were looking for 5/2 for a Liverpool win, Piggy Power offers you 11/4!
    I'd certainly take those odds off you. :) I'd put the odds at Barca 8/13, Liverpool 6/4. 2nd leg at home is a huge advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Pighead wrote:

Apart from Liverpools victory in 2005 they're next 2 best performances are losing to Leverkuson in the quarters in 2002 and Benfica in the last 16 last year. Every other year has been muck. Winning the Champions League in 2005 was most definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Leverkusan got to the final that year, so not too bad a result really. Benfica result was poor. But they still beat United, and werent to bad against barca in the 1/4's. They had a few chances in the 2nd leg to go ahead.

I'll take your 11/4 aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

With home advantage in the 2nd leg, easy win for United

Yeah but my point is apart from the year they won it Liverpool NEVER do well in the Champions League.
    eirebhoy and Chucky we got ourselves a deal. 11/4 it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement