Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw! Discuss

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Just booked my flights to Barca before they go crazy on the prices, was going over that week anyway for a holiday. Should have no problem geting tickets for the nou camp cos its so massive.

Anyway, id take our chances at Barca, tbh they havent been all that brilliant in the champions lge this year and Liverpool are underdogs, were they play better.
    Plus all the Spanish lads will be well worked up for it. Benetiz also has a great knowledge of the Spanish Lge which can only be a benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pighead wrote:
    Yeah but my point is apart from the year they won it Liverpool NEVER do well in the Champions League.
    eirebhoy and Chucky we got ourselves a deal. 11/4 it is.

You mean apart from the 5 years they won it :p

But seriously, you can't really be taking what happened 4 years ago into account. That was a different team under different leadership and managment. Benitez's team has had two seasons in the Champs league. He won once and he (and the team) underestimated Benifica the second time. I think Liverpool have a good chance of getting through this tie and with a bit of luck could have a nice run :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that.

I would :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpools CL history is quite brief. Third place group stage once, Second round once, Quaters once, winner once and er thats it I think!

Anyway if a team is going to win the CL they have to play a top side at some point, better Barca next than in the final I say! The fact its away then home is also good. Won't put money on it but a "shock" win would'nt suprise me either.

Mike.

Bacchus wrote:

You mean apart from the 5 years they won it :p

Did I miss something here :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I was countin the Champs Cup :o
    But yeah, okay. Since it became the Champs League we don't have that great a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tie of the round is Roma vs. Lyon imo, I think it's gona be a fantastic match. Inter vs. Valencia will also be fantastic, as will Barca vs. Liverpool.

Porto -v- Chelsea - Chelsea
    Celtic -v- AC Milan - Milan
    PSV -v- Arsenal - Arsenal
    Lille -v- Man Utd - United
    Roma -v- Lyon - Lyon
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool - Barca
    Real Madrid -v- Bayern Munich - Real
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia - Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I was on the Ryanair website and it has 2 airports in Barcalona anybody have any idea which one is closer to the Nou camp.
    Cheers

El Prat de Llobregat, 12kms south west of city

MD

*Aer Lingus

The 2 Ryanair airports are probably about 50/60Kms North and South of Barcelona so best bet is definitely Aer Lingus when you factor in taxis or bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pighead wrote:
    Yeah but my point is apart from the year they won it Liverpool NEVER do well in the Champions League.
    eirebhoy and Chucky we got ourselves a deal. 11/4 it is.

I'll have a score with you at those odds too if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I will make the home tie. Hopefully Strachan will strenghten the defence in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I will make the home tie. Hopefully Strachan will strenghten the defence in January.

Not really anti Celtic post but where will you get CL quality defenders who ehh are free to play in the CL.

I think its Celtics best ever chance of getting a result in CL, Milan are very poor this season, failing to score being the biggest problem and over reliance on Kaka.

Porto -v- Chelsea by one goal
    Celtic -v- AC Milan Milan on away goals
    PSV -v- Arsenal Arsenal ,PSV cave in knockouts.
    Lille -v- Man Utd Lille
    Roma -v- Lyon Lyon
    Barcelona -v- Liverpool Barca
    Real Madrid -v- Bayern Munich Madrid
    Inter Milan -v- Valencia Inter

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mad Dog wrote:
    El Prat de Llobregat, 12kms south west of city

MD

*Aer Lingus

The 2 Ryanair airports are probably about 50/60Kms North and South of Barcelona so best bet is definitely Aer Lingus when you factor in taxis or bus.
    Ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

KdjaCL wrote:
    Not really anti Celtic post but where will you get CL quality defenders who ehh are free to play in the CL.

You won't, all I asking is for an improvement over defenders we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i dont see why people are calling barca the big favourates against pool, the talent pool of players between the two clubs isnt vastly different, barca have a slightly bigger squad, but theres a fair bit of dead wood there too.

the people that are writing off pool are the same people that see about 3 barca matches a year and base their opinion on barca's reputation, and those people are idiots tbh.

barca's record in the european cup/champions league is pretty dismal compared to this massive reputation they have, and i'm a barca supporter. reputations are earned based on trophys, not the size of ur stadium or how many south americans ur team boasts

on the topic of the draw i mentioned in another thread that i was hoping pool got the most difficult tie possible which would be barca, so i'm happy. i think the advantage is liverpools, benitez and the spanish players know barca well, better than they would alot of the other teams, and i think liverpool will be happier to play the "underdog" role again.

it'll be tight, barca will struggle if they need to go to anfield needing to win. it could go either way.

good to see united the tough draw again :rolleyes:

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont see why people are calling barca the big favourates against pool, the talent pool of players between the two clubs isnt vastly different, barca have a slightly bigger squad, but theres a fair bit of dead wood there too.

the people that are writing off pool are the same people that see about 3 barca matches a year and base their opinion on barca's reputation, and those people are idiots tbh.

1 Barcelona 14 10 3 1 33 11 22 33
    5 Liverpool 17 8 4 5 23 15 8 28

Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are favourites, considering they can 1, beat teams away 2 break teams down 3 destroy teams in 20 minutes.

Liverpool on the other hand are 5th in a poor league and not even close to having a hope of breaking into the top 2 this season or any other season. Liverpool have injuries to key players and struggle Barca have Eto and Messi out, oddly its not showing.

Now why would they be favourites? Oh Pool may win it with some luck , some long balls to Crouch but if it comes down to footballing ability....well hard luck pool.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why they are favourites, considering they can 1, beat teams away 2 break teams down 3 destroy teams in 20 minutes.kdjac

by the sounds of it you've seen about 20 minutes of them playing so far this season so, if u think thats how they've been operating

el rabitos wrote:
    by the sounds of it you've seen about 20 minutes of them playing so far this season so, if u think thats how they've been operating

Lol god bless pool fans, i have seen every single game they have played on TV this season, and what am i missing their 1 defeat in la Liga? Their complete and utter 45 minute demolition of Werder? Notice in the 2nd half Werder went at them...finsihed to nil....

They will out play any team in the CL, they are good enough to hold onto a lead last weeks 1-0 vs Real S shows that they can defend.

The only way pool will beat them is if Crouch starts and is the tactic, i have also seen pool play and honestly i doubt any barca fan is worried, will Gerrard playin the middle or on the right oh woe is them...

And they playing well and winning without Eto and Messi :eek: Both will be back for the Pool game.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Lol god bless pool fans, i have seen every single game they have played on TV this season, and what am i missing their 1 defeat in la Liga? Their complete and utter 45 minute demolition of Werder? Notice in the 2nd half Werder went at them...finsihed to nil....

They will out play any team in the CL, they are good enough to hold onto a lead last weeks 1-0 vs Real S shows that they can defend.

The only way pool will beat them is if Crouch starts and is the tactic, i have also seen pool play and honestly i doubt any barca fan is worried, will Gerrard playin the middle or on the right oh woe is them...

And they playing well and winning without Eto and Messi :eek: Both will be back for the Pool game.

kdjac

god bless liverpool fans? i'm a barca supporter too, i've lived in the city with the most hardened barca fans who think the team have been poor all season. they werent ripped appart by sevilla in the super cup just because they werent in the mood. between both teams including all competitions i havent missed more than a handfull of matches all season, i'd say i have a good idea of how both teams are going about their business this season.

you seem to think just because theses players play for barca and because barca are grinding out results against the average joes of la liga that they're kings of the world. they have their flaws. its like barca and real and the like have an aura about them because their foreign and everyone doesnt see them play each week

if the 20 minute man ronaldinho doesnt show up at all, they could find themselves up sh!its creek without a paddle, needing something at anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont see why people are calling barca the big favourates against pool, the talent pool of players between the two clubs isnt vastly different,

Thats top class stuff right there!
    el rabitos wrote:

I'd say the opposite, people who watch quite a bit of Barcelona and realise that they are top of the league without Messi and Eto'o, the latter of whom could be back come February.
    reputations are earned based on trophys, not the size of ur stadium or how many south americans ur team boasts

Go on so, tell us how many European Cups Liverpool have won...

Reputation is not built on one thing alone. That said, Barcelona have the same number of domestic titles as Liverpool.
    good to see united the tough draw again :rolleyes:

On one hand you get upset about people underestimating Liverpool, then you do the exact same thing with Lille against United. How many times have you seen Lille this season? Don't forget they took 4 points from their two games against United last season, and whilst I still expect United to win I don't think its as easy as people are making out.

el rabitos wrote:

if the 20 minute man ronaldinho doesnt show up at all, they could find themselves up sh!its creek without a paddle, needing something at anfield.

Would be more worried about Deco and Xavi tbh but you seem to know a good team when its playing well. You seem to slander Barca for god knows what as you know how both are going about their business...umm Pool are **** this season? Barca are top of La Liga. Does that fact escape you in some way or are you happy with how the new team is working out? 1 away win all season yet your good enough to force Barca to have to win at Anfield? The game will be over by then unless as i have said Crouch plays.

Suppose its a tactic ....

kdjac

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    you seen Lille this season? Don't forget they took 4 points from their two games against United last season, and whilst I still expect United to win I don't think its as easy as people are making out.

I going with Lille, without being racist the big "multinationals" they have are superb players and will cause Utd problems.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    I going with Lille, without being racist the big "multinationals" they have are superb players and will cause Utd problems.

kdjac

True, by all accounts they dominated Milan at the San Siro last week. Plus, any side that can hold Shels to a draw at "home" must be worth something. :p

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Plus, any side that can hold Shels to a draw at "home" must be worth something. :p

Ahh the oul Shels side of old, me da used to go on about them great side played some lovely football back in the old country an all dat. Said the war killed them off or wages not sure but one of them hes a rambling old fool anyway. There u18s look a good bet for CL football next season tho :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:

Liverpool on the other hand are 5th in a poor league and not even close to having a hope of breaking into the top 2 this season or any other season. Liverpool have injuries to key players and struggle Barca have Eto and Messi out, oddly its not showing.

Now why would they be favourites? Oh Pool may win it with some luck , some long balls to Crouch but if it comes down to footballing ability....well hard luck pool.

kdjac

Now the highlighted words are just arse frankly as you do not have a crystal ball.

As for long balls to Crouch, you clearly hav'nt been watching Liverpool as he is'nt playing much at the moment. The 8 goals scored in the last two Prem matches did'nt involve him at all and none were lucky and 7 showed great skill (even Carras!) the 8th was a peno.

Watch and learn part 1

Watch and learn part 2

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Now the highlighted words are just arse frankly as you do not have a crystal ball.

As for long balls to Crouch, you clearly hav'nt been watching Liverpool as he is'nt playing much at the moment. The 8 goals scored in the last two Prem matches did'nt involve him at all and none were lucky and 7 showed great skill (even Carras!) the 8th was a peno.

Watch and learn part 1

Watch and learn pt 2

Mike.

Did they involve 1 a poor team Wigan and 2 Dioup getting injured???

Slow hand clap??? As i said if pool play that way ie trying to play ball they will be murdered, if they play Crouch which i think they will they have a hope.

And yeah crystal ball isnt needed to say Liverpool FC havent a hope of getting into the top 2 now or any future season, i think thats plainly obvious tbh. Slight chance if they get a new owner with money to spend ala Chealse and the billions needed to catch United

The underlined words show much is needed to catch the above teams :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mike65 wrote:

Well what I've seen in the last two games is Liverpool play well against two average at best Premiership teams. Sure even Man City destroyed Fulham. The fact is that Barca are a far superior team to Liverpool in the majority of departments. If you go through the main players to be used by each team in the tie there will be no contest. Obviously that's only on paper but Barca are probably about to be crowned the best team in the world.

I'm talking about the "skill" point made above. It don't matter who you are playing against - how well you create and execute a goal is defined by how well you play not the opposition be it Barca or Wigan.

Chelsea blew millions on players who were wasted, they could have caught Utd on half the money in truth.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gee, this Ronaldinho 20 minute long players sounds awfully ****e, I wonder who the guy who is top scorer this season in La Liga is.

I think we all know how Liverpool are gona approach this tie, long ball up to crouch, Gerrard/Garcia super strike from the knock down, unfortunately I don't think Liverpools defense is good enough to contain Ronaldinho/Messi/Deco/Xavi/Eto, and I expect them to lose. That said, I think Barca will probably win the CL this year, unless somebody else really ups there game.

That said, the game is like 2 months away, so Liverpool could really get back to playing well like they did in the CL when they won it by then

As for Lille, I think it's a toughish tie, although probably the easiest of the lot, but still quite hard. I think with the form we are showing in the premiership, we could beat them, but we havn't won a CL knockout round in a long time, and I'll remain nervous about it until we break that duck.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    unfortunately I don't think Liverpools defense is good enough to contain... Messi

Why "unfortunately"? :p

Also, I doubt Messi will be back by then.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have my tickets for the home game! Really looking forward to it. Should be a cracker especially after United losing to them last year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am glad Liverpool are going to face some like Barca. Am also delighted that Liverpool are the underdogs again. I personally think Barca are the better team but we all know what happened the last time Liverpool were written off in such a way. Will be an exciting fixture regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Can't wait for the matches. I don't think that Crouch will start either match but will be a 20 mins impact sub. Barca are quite a small team and I can see Crouch causing problems from set pieces and crosses. Rafa had a pretty good record against Barca for Valencia. If we are to be knocked out then I would prefer it to be Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Lille's football is too sexy for United to deal with.

Liverpool should be going out now.

Arsenal should beat PSV, PSV have been doing well in Holland but they have'nt looked impressive in Europe.

Chelsea have the 2nd hardest tie out the British clubs. Think I might back Porto to cause an upset.

It all depends on how Celtic do at home because they can get a result at Parkhead. Milan have looked **** this season but Celtic are always **** away in Europe so you never know what will happen there.

Lyon have a hard tie against Roma. I think Lyon will have a little too much tho for Roma. There starting 11's are both very well matched, but when you look at Roma's bench they dont have that much to offer where as Lyon have people like Carew,Benzema, Kallstroum,Wiltord,Ben Arfa, Diarra & so on.

Now the thing with Madrid is they have the "Rudd curse" like United had last season. The whole Ronaldo-Rudd thing will never work. It will just be like the Adriano-Ronaldo thing which was just awfull. When Ronaldo is fit he should be the main striker & have Robinho as the second striker which well end up as the greatest partnership in Europe. But there still not done there. They have to stop playing with 2 Defence midfielders, shift Emerson off back to Brazil & just use Diarra. Beckham's no good, Guti's no good, Reyes is alrite nothing special tho. They remind me so much of Brazil in the World Cup its scary.

Inter - Valencia is too hard to call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

tdv wrote:

Now the thing with Madrid is they have the "Rudd curse" like United had last season. The whole Ronaldo-Rudd thing will never work. It will just be like the Adriano-Ronaldo thing which was just awfull. When Ronaldo is fit he should be the main striker & have Robinho as the second striker which well end up as the greatest partnership in Europe. But there still not done there. They have to stop playing with 2 Defence midfielders, shift Emerson off back to Brazil & just use Diarra. Beckham's no good, Guti's no good, Reyes is alrite nothing special tho. They remind me so much of Brazil in the World Cup its scary.
    Capello is very astute and I'm sure he knows how best to use the strikers at his disposal. Emerson must be the most underrated player ever because he's never been popular with fans despite captaining Brazil + winning Championships under Capello at Roma and Juve x2 and joining him again at Real. It's also worth noting that all their losses this season have come when the Diarra/Emerson partnership wasn't available, something Capello was at pains to point out after more criticism of Emerson following their defeat to Sevilla last week.

Edit: Diarra and Ronaldo dropped to the bench tonight against Espanyol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Waster wrote:
    I don't think that Crouch will start either match but will be a 20 mins impact sub. Barca are quite a small team and I can see Crouch causing problems from set pieces and crosses.

I agree with this. Crouch will cause problems when matched against Puyol. I would play Bellamy up front to use his pace for the big pitch at the Camp Nou. Anfield is tighter and Crouch could be used as a target man with cross coming in from Gerrard/Pennant/Gonzalex/Riise/Finnan.

Overall though, these matches are quite a while away and a lot of football has to be played between now and then, so better wait to discuss in full then imo.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Until the match I'm saying no more than this. I remember a very similar thread from 04/05 building before very Liverpool game and how they hadnt a chance. This continued all the way up to the 60th minute in the final. I'm not saying Liverpool WILL beat Barce but I think they have a good shot and are the best of the English clubs set up to beat them.

You'd think people would have learned not to be so definate with the doomsday posts.

Advertisement