Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom Throttle Peer 2 Peer?

• 15-12-2006 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Does anybody know for sure if Eircom are speed shaping, deliberately slowing peer 2 peer traffic? This is a common practise in the UK with many ISPs. The reason I ask is because lately while downloading using Utorrent, my speeds are noticibly slow and the client keeps reminding me a port is blocked despite the fact all my ports are open. Be interested to get some feedback on this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chris_d_rat

bit short and sweet but thanks for reply. May I ask how you know they dont though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

bit short and sweet but thanks for reply. May I ask how you know they dont though?

Cause im downloading on Eircom at the moment getting over 545KB/s on torrents!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chris_d_rat

Wow my max seems to be 90kbs:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Very few operators throttle anything, except maybe everything if you have used up your cap. Well known application blockers / throttlers are 3G providers (their network would be "broken" otherwise) and possibly a WISP that throttles the american way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I use e-mule and limewire from time to time and while e-mule in especial is a very slow method of downloading anything IMO Eircom does not appear to intervene in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

If utorrent indicates that you don't have incoming ports open, you probably have to setup your firewall(s).

Log in to your router and open a port (pick a random number higher between 50000 and 60000) for your computer (www.portforward.com will tell you how)
    It could be that your Windows firewall does not allow utorrent either.

Make sure you untick the box "Randomize port whenever utorrent start" in Options, Preferences, Connection in utorrent.

I would also tick the box Protocol Encryption in Bittorrent section.
    Just in case not your ISP is throttling but the ISPs of people in the swarm.

And you can check your settings in Options, Speedtest

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eircom don't trottle p2p, bittorrent etc, its most likely either a poor connection from the person your trying to download from or you need to forward your ports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

USA and UK and most other countries blacklist the "default ports" of P2P applications, so if you pick non-default ports, you'll see a nice change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Wcool wrote:
    If utorrent indicates that you don't have incoming ports open, you probably have to setup your firewall(s).

Log in to your router and open a port (pick a random number higher between 50000 and 60000) for your computer (www.portforward.com will tell you how)
    It could be that your Windows firewall does not allow utorrent either.

Make sure you untick the box "Randomize port whenever utorrent start" in Options, Preferences, Connection in utorrent.

I would also tick the box Protocol Encryption in Bittorrent section.
    Just in case not your ISP is throttling but the ISPs of people in the swarm.

And you can check your settings in Options, Speedtest

sorry for the stupid question, but how do i open my router ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

make, product no. ?

stanley1 wrote:
    make, product no. ?

where would i find it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

if you got it from eircom, its probably one of the netopia's
    try 192.168.1.254 in your browser to access the router settings, think the user/password was admin/admin or admin / password.
    i think they were the default settings but i'm doing this from memory so not 100% sure

you can then browse the settings, one of the options was games and application hosting i think, you can pick default settings for opening ports for most things there.
    otherwise you will have to do it manually which is a bit trickier

Skatedude wrote:
    if you got it from eircom, its probably one of the netopia's
    try 192.168.1.254 in your browser to access the router settings, think the user/password was admin/admin or admin / password.
    i think they were the default settings but i'm doing this from memory so not 100% sure

you can then browse the settings, one of the options was games and application hosting i think, you can pick default settings for opening ports for most things there.
    otherwise you will have to do it manually which is a bit trickier

im with last mile and the box is airspan, is that it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

pm. wrote:
    where would i find it ?

You should have some sort of small box connecting between your broadband connection and your netwerk, something like D-link, Linksys, Netgear or Buffalo.

you can change the settings by connecting to it through your browser.

Look up the brand and model and surf to this url: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Once you have selected the right model, select utorrent from the list.
    it will give you detailed instructions how to open your ports for utorrent and also show you what you should do in utorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sparks2000

also with utorrent and azureus set you max upload to between 8 and 12, any lower and some people wont upload to you, any higher and you'll choke your downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 theREALtrinder

im gettin VERY slow download speeds during peek times of the day (5pm til 11).. its worse on weekends...

i use Divx to watch films nd stuff online usually it goes around 300-500kb/s but at those peek times its only going between 10-60kb/s

i rang eircom and they're saying its to do with ports (wen i checked ther wer hundreds open)

kinda sounds like the same orignal problem on this thread.

does anyone no how to fix that? my brother said something about peer to peer but tbh i dont no much on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryan_w94

im gettin VERY slow download speeds during peek times of the day (5pm til 11).. its worse on weekends...

i use Divx to watch films nd stuff online usually it goes around 300-500kb/s but at those peek times its only going between 10-60kb/s

i rang eircom and they're saying its to do with ports (wen i checked ther wer hundreds open)

kinda sounds like the same orignal problem on this thread.

does anyone no how to fix that? my brother said something about peer to peer but tbh i dont no much on the subject
    can you tell me how u found out how many ports you got open?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

Persuming you are using Windows ?
    (actually think its the same command for linux, im a bit rusty)

start > run > cmd > netstat -a

This shows the state of all sockets
    or to get more detailed information use the switch -ao
    so it should look like this > netstat -ao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 theREALtrinder

yeah it was netstat -a

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You drag up a 3 yerar old thread just to say something that's not even remotely related. Seriously people, just start a new topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement