Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound System

• 15-12-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a surround sound system to connect to my projector & PS2 (PS3 next year), But I haven't a clue what I need to be looking out for when buying such a system. Like what types of connections, best quality sound, Shops to buy from in Dublin, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Oh and on a budget of around 200euro... in and around. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Well you do know that for 200 euro your not going to get the latest and greatest? and to use the HDMI outputs on the PS3 for sound and picture your lookin at around 500 for starters

Peats in town will be a good place to start looking, also some of the larger curry's and sony shops will also have a range although in this country its hard to find a good shop with a proper selection like hi-fi corner use to have :(

Your best bet would be to look at a second hand unit, with optical and component inputs (of course HDMI if u can get it at the right price)

Failing that hold out and put the extra money into a new unit with HDMI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

for €200 I would consider selling my amp (technics 6x100w) and (external) dolby digital decoder.

You could then go out and buy yourself a HDMI switcher when the PS3 comes out or just run the HDMI straight from the ps3 to the Screen.

L.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 joemeighan

hi tosh well i have the say i.am the same, don't know if your projector is hdmi or not but if is, run your hdmi cable to it, if not run a single video cable, thats your vision sorted now the sound system,it don't matter what amp you use or speakers(unless you have the money)so here what to do, buy yurself the cheapest prologic amp only, that has 5.1 output amp about 100 euro buy spearkers(here's a bargain dunne's are selling home system for 80 euro) but it no use for playstations etc. so use the speakers of it. now here is the good part go a buy a grafic eq, (maplin's or peats wholesale in ballyfermot) for about 100 -120 euros but a couple a 1.6 jack leads for the eq and some phono's for the speakers, a bit of work with the wires but when you have it all up and running the sound will blow you away hope that it you might spend more

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Bringing back another dead thread... sorry.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a 2.1 surround sound system without a DVD or blu-ray player? I have a PS3 and I find it brilliant for watching DVDs and Blu-Ray, I dont want to buy another player. Reccomendations are appreciated, I don't mind whether it has HDMI connections or not, they are a bonus though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

2.1 isn't really surround sound. It's not possible really, you need to buy an Amp. They're not cheap and you won't find a 2.1 one! 5.1 or better. However if you just get a 5.1 surround sound with a DVD player you don't have to use it to play your DVD's, just connect the PS3 into that.
    There are also hi-fi's out there that have Dolby Pro-Logic II with no DVD player. I'd go with 5 channel surround or nothing to be honest. If you're not going for real surround you may as well just buy a €50 hi-fi and use the AUX on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Yeah I understand 2.1 is nothing compared to 5.1, but the problem is trailing wires around a fairly small room. Yeah I suppose I could just buy the set and sell the DVD player because I've never been able to find ones without Thanks for the advice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Bringing back another dead thread... sorry.

If you have a query, just open a new thread and ask rather than resurrecting old threads.

Closed.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yeah I understand 2.1 is nothing compared to 5.1, but the problem is trailing wires around a fairly small room. Yeah I suppose I could just buy the set and sell the DVD player because I've never been able to find ones without Thanks for the advice.

Actually you can't do that, cause the AMP is built into the DVD player, so selling the DVD player would just leave you with 5 speakers and a Sub!!

Advertisement