Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Car for Jan 07

Options
  • 15-12-2006 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Planning on purchasing a used car in Jan...which one would you recommend?
    Will be spending approx 25K

Which Car? 46 votes

Jaguar X Type 2004 2 L
    0% 0 votes
    Audi TT 2001 1.8 L 180/225 BHP
    4% 2 votes
    BMW 318I 2003 2.2 L
    19% 9 votes
    Audi A4 2005 1.9L
    17% 8 votes
    BMW 320D 2003 2L
    58% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

None of these really, but it would have to be between Audi and BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Planning on purchasing a used car in Jan...which one would you recommend?
    Will be spending approx 25K

Show off.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

audi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I like the Jag...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would avoid the Jag like the plague..............just drive one and compare it to the German cars, no comparison.

I had one for a weekend and hated it. Smooth engine but very slow and its 2.1 litres so higher tax !

I think Audi's are over rated and cost to much to service, plus they give trouble !

The BMW has the best quality and the 320d is supposedly the best in this sector for value for money and resale !

Thats where my vote would go................of that bunch !

If it were my money I would not concern myself with the year and buy a used E39 530d or a 02 C220cdi/C200K or a 2001 CLK200K. How about a 02/03 Volvo S60 or an off the wall shot, a Saab 93 or 9-5 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The TT. But I'm a sucker for coupes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You have 318i 2.2L there.... I think the 318i is a 2.0 and the 320 is a 2.2....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Biro wrote:
    You have 318i 2.2L there.... I think the 318i is a 2.0 and the 320 is a 2.2....

Think you could be right about the 318, but I'm fairly sure the 320D is still a 2 litre (it is marginally bigger than the previous 320D engine). Supposed to be a sweet engine - 150BHP and responds very well to chipping. I have the older 320D, which isn't bad, but I'd love to have a go in the newer one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

kluivert wrote:
    None of these really, but it would have to be between Audi and BMW

Agreed.

Jag just screams wrinkly old prune man. I've never liked the TT ever so any points I make on it will be biased. BMW and the A4 are acceptable and imo a lot more stylish then the other's you posted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about a new civic?! You'll still have change from 24k and the 1.4idsi is an excellant engine (no harm getting the 1.8vtec though!)
    Plus, the only recall work we are having relates to sticking fuel caps - I'd doubt that's the same with any of the other cars you mentioned:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The BMW 320d is the logical choice tbh, nothing else on that list even comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Is the Audi TT really such a bad car compared to the rest of them?

No, it's not actually.
    Basically, it's a tough list really, but you can drop the jag first off anyway. After that, decide on a budget, then consider running costs. If they're not an issue, you should look towards the TT if you like the look of it. The 225bhp version. That would really outshine the rest in terms of driving pleasure. After that, I'd be reckoning towards a 320i (2.2 litre). That would be a more flexible engine than the diesel. The 320d is the choice if running costs are a concern, good torquey engine for an easy drive. A4 would be more comfortable and slightly more economical than 320, and it might be easier to get a non-abused one. That'd be the order of things from where I'm standing anyway.

decide on a budget, then consider running costs. If they're not an issue, you should look towards the TT if you like the look of it.

Audi TT Cheaper Insurance and Tax then all the other cars!
    Petrol consumption approx the same as the other cars!
    Service charge same as the Audi A4.

Am I missing somthing here?

(By the way I'm 30 yrs old) So the Jag may be a little old for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Lexus1976 wrote:
    (By the way I'm 30 yrs old) So the Jag may be a little old for me!

Without a doubt! Your way to young for a jag. Go for the TT In black or red! (not silver... please)

Thats it settled then. Go for a non-silver TT with different to the norm alloys. Make sure it's the 225bhp version.
    You've the rest of your life to own a diesel!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'd be the TT or the 320d for me, my next door neighbour has a TT, so it'd have to be nicer. i.e a 225bhp.

Yes I like the Audi TT but I also like the Audi A4....

A4? Why? They're a boring looking German family car that is actually a little too small for a family. Forget the A4 until you're older. Buy the TT. You'll only look cool for so long in a coupe, and after that you have the rest of your life for a boring saloon!!

think about it... the rest of your life... trapped driving a saloon... with 4 doors... and everyone will say it's "practical"...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd buy a newer passat before an older A4, you're not really gaining much with the Audi.

• Advertisement

Biro by any chance are you selling an Audi TT :D

Yeah I can understand were your coming from, might as well buy a sporty car now when I'm this age!

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Biro by any chance are you selling an Audi TT :D
    No, I ain't. But I could sell my celica to you... a lovely clean, fine example, with full Toyota service history since brand new. Much better value than a TT and much lower servicing costs!! :D
    Lexus1976 wrote:
    Yeah I can understand were your coming from, might as well buy a sporty car now when I'm this age!
    Ya... you know it makes sense!! In 15 years time you can show pics of it to your kids, and they'll think you used be cool! Where as if you show them pics of an A4, they'll just see it as another saloon in a long list of previously owned saloons...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Probably the 320D from that lot.

Question though, what E46 318 had a 2.2? I know the later badged 318's had the 2L and the likes of the E46 320Ci had the 2.2 6 cylinder :confused:

ciarsd wrote:
    Probably the 320D from that lot.

Question though, what E46 318 had a 2.2? I know the later badged 318's had the 2L and the likes of the E46 320Ci had the 2.2 6 cylinder :confused:

According to here, none of them had a 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you could stretch your budget a bit I'm sure you could buy this for under €27k:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=522316

eoin_s wrote:

Look again at the 320Ci entry :)

320i/Ci M52B22/M54B22 2001-2007 2171 I6, 24v 125 (170) 210 (155) 8,2 s

ciarsd wrote:
    Look again at the 320Ci entry :)

320i/Ci M52B22/M54B22 2001-2007 2171 I6, 24v 125 (170) 210 (155) 8,2 s

Your question was what 318 had a 2.2 litre engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Lexus1976 - would you consider broadening your net to include classic cars?
    25K could get you something very interesting indeed. Before you shoot me down in flames, that kinda wedge would get you a motor with full history, well tended, and if you go for a marque like Porsche/Merc you will have no problem with spares/servicing. Such a motor would make an ideal daily driver, E44 road tax p/a, cheaper insurance... worth a thought

Classic cars! Yeah good point, had thought about it before...but at the end of the day...i'm looking for a car with a max 2.2L . Some of the older classic cars I've been looking at have a min of 4L.

Toyota Celica is a lovely car, had a test drive in one this year and somthing just did'nt feel right about it.

Mercs are nice cars but a bit too old for me.

Passat great car but it does'nt have the edge if you know what I mean.

Audi TT this is the right car for me, only problem is, i'm living in a bad area and am a bit nervous about it being broken into or stolen.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Your question was what 318 had a 2.2 litre engine.

and your reply to my question was
    eoin_s wrote:

hence the confusion... them implying E46's seen as thats the Wiki page you linked to :)

Advertisement