Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted feline visitors

Options
  • 15-12-2006 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Probably been asked before but does anyone know any fool proof methods of keeping cats off their property. Fed up of the local cats using the garden as a toilet and my cars as their beds/scratching posts.

So annoying people just let their cats wander into other peoples property...different story if it was dogs.

Its got to the point where I'll use anything to get rid of these vermin :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Hello!

(a) Get a cat yourself! It won't defile its own garden and other cats should avoid your own cat's space. They're territorial.

(b) Get a dog! They tend to chase cats.

By the way, this is a PETS forum! Many people will take offence at having their beloved quasi family members referred to as 'vermin'. Don't expect a lot of replies ;)

Rediguana.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If your garden is walled all around you can put brackets around it and hang some chicken wire over it to stop cats being able to get over. It's hard to describe it but it does work.

Also if you know who the owners are ask them to keep the cats indoors where they are safe from dogs, cars etc.
    If you don't know who the owners are the all you can do is cat proof the garden the best you can.

I wouldn't go with the suggestion of getting a cat yourself, cats are not safe outdoors and if you got one it could also become a nuisance to other neighbours. Getting a dog only to deter cats is also not a good enough reason get a dog as a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I didn't REALLY expect her to get a cat or dog herself. She called them 'vermin', after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

rediguana wrote:
    Hello!

(a) Get a cat yourself! It won't defile its own garden and other cats should avoid your own cat's space. They're territorial.

(b) Get a dog! They tend to chase cats.

By the way, this is a PETS forum! Many people will take offence at having their beloved quasi family members referred to as 'vermin'. Don't expect a lot of replies ;)

Rediguana.

Last thing I want is a cat. As for the get a dog advice...:rolleyes:

Cat crap is highly dangerous especially around pregnant women and children. Don't see why I should constantly have to clean it up. Also the damage they're doing to my cars is totally unacceptable

Just thought someone on here would know of a hunane product to keep them out such as a good pet repellent product.

As for calling them vermin I might have come across a bit strong but I'm totally fed up of them. There is a duty of care to owning a pet and that includes keeping it out of other peoples property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lighten up a bit there.
    Unless you have several cats using your garden as a toilet there should be no problems.

Dogs and cats are part of our community and if there was a majorproblem with them there would be an outcry before now.

Relax and smell the roses,a few auld cats won't do any harm.;)

• Advertisement

Lighten up a bit there.
    Unless you have several cats using your garden as a toilet there should be no problems.

Dogs and cats are part of our community and if there was a majorproblem with them there would be an outcry before now.

So one wouldn't be a problem? Just caught the culprit tonight and gave him a nose full of pepper....maybe he'll learn now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

furtzy wrote:
    Also the damage they're doing to my cars is totally unacceptable

y

What damage are they doing to your cars exactly?, if there is poo on top of it then it is a fox that is doing the dirt so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

have one cat in our house, and then about 5 strays that hang around outside..

and I honestly.. have never once found any of their "poo"

I have never looked either.. but lived here 20 od years... I assume they bury it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cats do bury there feaces.

Also as for scratching your car??? I have 11 cats & they have never scratched our car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cats may bury their faeces, if they're in sand, but generally,and I'm talking about my lawn, they don't. I've tried all the "humane" ways to stop them and am at the point where it's get used to it or shoot the dirty feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Obviously we of the animals/pets forum would never condone any violence towards animals and shooting the dirty feckers should never be even joked about! There are a few things you might be able to do, one i have heard is to put beach along the walls. Now i can hear the cries of poision coming already but dilute it down. Bleach contains ammonia and this is also the smell in urine so maybe the cats will think you have a cat and not go into your garden.

Also there are jelly crystal type things you can buy in the shops think its called "get off" or "keep off" or something they are green i think and you can sprinkle them on your flower beds/grass and this will help, my mum used it and says it works.

hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Please don't use pepper. Imagine what it would be like for you to get pepper in your eyes. I know you said you threw it at the mouth but the eyes are very nearby! If you are going to throw something at them, squirt water at them. They won't like it one bit but at least it won't harm them.

Cats usually won't dump on areas which cannot be used to cover their poo.

Cannot see cats dumping regularly in the middle of lawns.... dogs maybe,but not cats.

What damage are they doing to your cars exactly?, if there is poo on top of it then it is a fox that is doing the dirt so to speak.

They sit up on the bonnet or the roof and then slide down when they get down. result is a car covered in dirty paw prints and scratches where they slide off. Crapping in the garden is one thing but messing with a mans car is another.

Hopefully the face full of pepper from last night has the effect. I'm sure he's smart enough to learn from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

cats are not safe outdoors
    wtf?
    they appear to have managed a few million years outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 city girl

Furtzy, you have a horrible attitude towards animals- only hope this wont affect your karma making you come back as a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

ferdi wrote:
    wtf?
    they appear to have managed a few million years outdoors.
    The world is changing and it is no longer safe for outdoor cats -> worth reading

And I wont be saying a second time, anyone talking about harming an animal or suggesting ways to do same, will get an immediate and permanent ban.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Lighten up a bit there.

There are currently 9 cat turds outside my back door.
    Cat **** ended up on the hands of my 6 month old son a few months ago (ever hear of toxoplasmosis? Blindness caused by same?) and I'm constantly hosing down my shoes (and my other sons) everytime I go into the garden.

They are pets when their owners are responsible people. When the owners are not, they are vermin.
    rediguana wrote:
    Get a cat yourself! It won't defile its own garden

Here is one of the biggest problems I see with irresponsible cat owners. They don't see a problem because their cat isn't ****ting in their own garden, they're too busy in their their neighbours! I shouldn't have to buy a cat because my neighbours can't look after theirs.

I've tried everything from odour repellents to sonic repellants to bottles of water, hoses etc etc etc. There is nothing you can do but make your garden look like Auswitz. The pound will not capture them but you can hire traps from some vets to have the cats neutered but that doesn't do anything for the **** problem.
    We started with two cats and, two years later, there are now six. Again, need I mention irresponsible pet ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

SMK wrote:
    Please don't use pepper. Imagine what it would be like for you to get pepper in your eyes. I know you said you threw it at the mouth but the eyes are very nearby! If you are going to throw something at them, squirt water at them. They won't like it one bit but at least it won't harm them.

You don't bloody throw the stuff at them! They are repelled when they sniff at it. I have an image now of some chap chasing after cats fecking pepper all over the place! Wah ha ha ha ha!

Anyway, it's a waste of time because everytime there's a spot of rain you have to wait till it drys and then put it out again. And again, and again....

city girl wrote:
    Furtzy, you have a horrible attitude towards animals- only hope this wont affect your karma making you come back as a mouse.

I resent that. My family have had dogs all our lives and they are treated and loved like children. My problem is with the irresponsible attitude of cat owners who see fit to let their pets do whatever they like.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    There are currently 9 cat turds outside my back door.
    Cat **** ended up on the hands of my 6 month old son a few months ago (ever hear of toxoplasmosis? Blindness caused by same?) and I'm constantly hosing down my shoes (and my other sons) everytime I go into the garden.

They are pets when their owners are responsible people. When the owners are not, they are vermin.

Here is one of the biggest problems I see with irresponsible cat owners. They don't see a problem because their cat isn't ****ting in their own garden, they're too busy in their their neighbours! I shouldn't have to buy a cat because my neighbours can't look after theirs.

I've tried everything from odour repellents to sonic repellants to bottles of water, hoses etc etc etc. There is nothing you can do but make your garden look like Auswitz. The pound will not capture them but you can hire traps from some vets to have the cats neutered but that doesn't do anything for the **** problem.
    We started with two cats and, two years later, there are now six. Again, need I mention irresponsible pet ownership?

Couldn't agree more. Simple message to the cat owners on this forum...show consideration for others and do not let your car cause nuisance to others..that is the responsibility of pet ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

furtzy wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Simple message to the cat owners on this forum...show consideration for others and do not let your car cause nuisance to others..that is the responsibility of pet ownership.

And how would you suggest we do that ?, put it on a lead ? give it a good talking to and tell it not to go into the Jones's garden ?

KTRIC wrote:
    And how would you suggest we do that ?, put it on a lead ? give it a good talking to and tell it not to go into the Jones's garden ?

Thats your problem as the pet owner but I'll certainly consider all methods of ending the problem.

furtzy wrote:
    Thats your problem as the pet owner but I'll certainly consider all methods of ending the problem.

Cats are free roaming animals, end of the story.

furtzy wrote:

Glad I'm not living beside you.

KTRIC wrote:

What a stupid attitude. So you don't care what damage they do when they're "free roaming". As I said earlier all methods of getting rid of this persistent problem will be used. All I asked originally was for advice on how to keep them out but all I got was the let the cats do what they want attitude....what a stupid and arrogant attitude. Not everyone shares your love of cats and shouldn't have to put up with claning up after them

furtzy wrote:
    What a stupid attitude. So you don't care what damage they do when they're "free roaming". As I said earlier all methods of getting rid of this persistent problem will be used. All I asked originally was for advice on how to keep them out but all I got was the let the cats do what they want attitude....what a stupid and arrogant attitude. Not everyone shares your love of cats and shouldn't have to put up with cleaning up after them

What about speaking to the owners and asking them to suggest something if the cat is causing trouble.
    The attitude of attacking the cat for doing what comes naturally to it is completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

KTRIC wrote:

No, its not the end of story.
    Outdoor cats are at huge risk these days. All it can take is one single scratch from another cat and your pet can end up with horrific terminal ilnesses.
    RTA's are extremely common as cats have no "Majick senses" that tell them how to cross a road, and even if the cat didnt get hit, the driver could easilly crash swerving to miss the cat.
    The average outdoor cat has half the lifespan an indoor cat has.
    There are plenty of "human beings" out there who take great pleasure in poisening, shooting, catching and hurting cats. Unfortunate but very true.
    And as is obvious from this thread they also cause some people problems.
    Read some of the stories on www.kittenadoption.ie if you dont believe me.

Im sorry, but to me, a owner who lets his or her cat roam free is an irresponsble pet owner. That is purely my own opinion.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Furtzy, I am with you on this one. My neighbour has 2 cats who sh*t and piss all over my garden and I am sick to death of it. And whoever said that they bury it is wrong....My flower beds are rampant with it. I am not a cat hater but it is beyond a joke at this stage - I wouldn't dream of harming them but it does make me very angry when I see them doing their business all over the garden. Short of making the place look like a fortress what can you do??

• Advertisement

No, its not the end of story.
    Outdoor cats are at huge risk these days. All it can take is one single scratch from another cat and your pet can end up with horrific terminal ilnesses.
    RTA's are extremely common as cats have no "Majick senses" that tell them how to cross a road, and even if the cat didnt get hit, the driver could easilly crash swerving to miss the cat.
    The average outdoor cat has half the lifespan an indoor cat has.
    There are plenty of "human beings" out there who take great pleasure in poisening, shooting, catching and hurting cats. Unfortunate but very true.
    And as is obvious from this thread they also cause some people problems.
    Read some of the stories on www.kittenadoption.ie if you dont believe me.

Im sorry, but to me, a owner who lets his or her cat roam free is an irresponsble pet owner. That is purely my own opinion.

B

You don't need to preach to me about the dangers of letting a cat roam. I lost one of my cats recently. She was only one and a half years old and she was hit by a car when she was out playing with her brother.

I still let her brother out but he stays close to the house and he doesn't like to be kept locked up all day.

Every day I worry about him being outside when I am in work. I even have a small kennel outside for him with a cat flap on it just encase he wants to sleep during the day.

Advertisement